Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:38 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

GOOD HOPE, Ala. — It’s one thing for a church in a big city like Dallas or Atlanta to tackle the ticklish topic of sex. It blends in with the urban scene.

It’s another thing when a small-town congregation puts up billboards with the phrase “Great sex: God’s way” on rural highways to promote a sermon series. You can’t even legally buy beer in Cullman County, and a preacher is talking about S-E-X on Sunday morning?

'Sex-y' sermons cause stir at rural Alabama church : Nation : TCPalm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 06:48 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
I remember a time when there was no such nonsense. "sex god"? People just trying to be relative

Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,259 times
Seeker sensitive Emergent baloney.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,903 times
I think it's great. Christians have sex, too, and people need to be taught that married sex is wonderful, (or should be).
Why shouldn't the church talk about sex?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I think it's great. Christians have sex, too, and people need to be taught that married sex is wonderful, (or should be).
Sunday morning is to worship God, as far as sex. I don't know? I think Christians have gotten the hang of it already. I think we figured it out. Don't need a Pastor who doesn't even have kids to tell us how to have sex.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Please show me where the Gospel is being preached? This is a topic that should most certainly be addressed by the church, but not on Sunday mornings (if that is when). This is best left to special series.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Sunday morning is to worship God, as far as sex. I don't know? I think Christians have gotten the hang of it already. I think we figured it out. Don't need a Pastor who doesn't even have kids to tell us how to have sex.
Lots of Christians have problems with their sexual lives. There is a lot of incorrect teaching out there. There are actually marriages where they do not even have sex, because one spouse (usually the woman), refuses relations.
Sex is something the Lord has given us, to bless us in our marriages. People need to understand that, they need to know, so that when they get married, they can live happily.

Ignoring it won't make it go away.

Obviously, there needs to be teaching on other things as well, but if this is a church, most of those in attendance are already Christians, anyway.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Please show me where the Gospel is being preached? This is a topic that should most certainly be addressed by the church, but not on Sunday mornings (if that is when). This is best left to special series.

Our culture is saturated with sexual innuendo and images, young people, especially, need to know how and why it should be saved for marriage.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Our culture is saturated with sexual innuendo and images, young people, especially, need to know how and why it should be saved for marriage.
I don't deny that, but Sunday mornings should be reserved for the Gospel message. Greg Laurie, matter of fact, has been talking about marriage this week and sex this morning. But this isn't his Sunday morning message! It's a special series for married couples. Likewise, a special series could be done for those unmarried to tell why it's so important to abstain until you marry. Again, not for the most important service of the week!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,167,216 times
The problem isn't that this is being preached on a Sunday. The problem is that believers are only gathering together in that large group on one set day per week. If church wasn't a one day a week thing, there'd be more time to help one another.

We are believers...we are not OF this world, but we are ON this earth. We have human bodies with human needs. Sex is a necessity for most. Infrequent sex can harm a marriage...frequent can do wonders for one. It's just the way it is.

Do I really want to hear a message about sex? No. Do I want to hear a message on the Gospel? Yes. Can I imagine all those that gather at a church on a Sunday morning making time on a different day during the week to be counseled by their pastor in a message about sex? Nope. People like the one day a week thing. It's easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity