Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM

45 posts, read 35,270 times

Advertisements

Mat 22:39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I am new to these forums, so forgive me if I'm a wee bit oblivious to the subjects on this forum.

I was raised of Roman Catholic faith, which I have recently departed from due to the complete lack of respect to its members. I am now not with any particular religion, although I have my own belief system.

My question is; if so many Christians claim to have good in their hearts, and that they truly care for others, then why do so many Christians disobey this commandment? I've seen the worst of the worst when it comes to disregard of this. If a "true" or "pure" Christian is supposed to follow every commandment that is stated in the Scripture, then why do many disrespect, insult, and discriminate against others? Especially when you don't agree with them. A very good example is the ever-changing view of homosexuality in the Christian community. There are those who may not agree with it, but are okay with it, and then there are those who become ignorant, crude, and sometimes violent. (For an example of violence see: Westboro Baptist Church)

Another very good example is my Aunt-in-Law who belongs to the Baptist Church. She believes that she is born-again and that she will be saved by God because she is pure. (despite the fact that she has 7 children) During Christmas '08, she came up to me and started a casual talk about how I was doing, etc., then she brought up religion, I talked about my philosophy and beliefs, and she told me that I would, "Burn in hell for all eternity and be laughed and spit on by the lord who has condemned you because I am his messenger and you are no christian you are an abomination. I feel no pity for such a filthy soul.", and then she turned around and walked away like nothing had happened. She said the same or something similar to my cousin who just recently had his second child. I don't get what her problem is? Do you know?

Thanks so much! All replies are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
She is not ignoring Mat 22:39 as you indicated, she is actually following it. Her perspective is that not following the doctrine she has accepted will result in the consequences she outlined for you and your cousin. She believes that she would suffer that fate should she have not accepted this doctrine and so you will also should you continue to reject her doctrine. In her heart and mind, she is showing you the same consideration she showed herself in her mental process of acceptance. She is showing you how much she loves herself.

We can all make arguments for and against a specific doctrine or lack thereof. You do not agree with her doctrine and so do not follow the concept that if she does not try to frighten you into "thinking straight" you might never find God. If she truly believes that and does not try to scare you, then she is surely not showing you love because she would be shirking her duty to "save" you.

I am not entirely sure that a "true Christian" is actually supposed to follow "every" commandment stated in scripture. I am also not sure every commandment is actually a commandment as much as it is an example of a lifestyle choice under specific circumstances. There were commandments in the Old Testament convenant requiring capital punishment for some very specific crimes that Jesus waved away in several instances in favor of forgiveness when the "criminal" was repentant of those crimes.

Remember the "Let him without sin cast the first stone" speach? That was a case of bending the rules to meet the circumstance if there ever was one. That would certainly speak to not obeying every commandment all the time. It is probably more in line with Jesus teachings to obey the commandments when they meet the spirit of the event.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM

45 posts, read 35,270 times
Well yeah, I exaggerated a bit there. Not every commandment should be followed, if a Christian was that passionate to follow most.

My aunt, I guess, was raised that way. Her church is more like a cult if you see the way the pastor treats the women, and the way they do things around there. I guess it's just her way of life.

Thanks for your response. It's greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemenot View Post
Mat 22:39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I am new to these forums, so forgive me if I'm a wee bit oblivious to the subjects on this forum.

I was raised of Roman Catholic faith, which I have recently departed from due to the complete lack of respect to its members. I am now not with any particular religion, although I have my own belief system.

My question is; if so many Christians claim to have good in their hearts, and that they truly care for others, then why do so many Christians disobey this commandment? I've seen the worst of the worst when it comes to disregard of this. If a "true" or "pure" Christian is supposed to follow every commandment that is stated in the Scripture, then why do many disrespect, insult, and discriminate against others? Especially when you don't agree with them. A very good example is the ever-changing view of homosexuality in the Christian community. There are those who may not agree with it, but are okay with it, and then there are those who become ignorant, crude, and sometimes violent. (For an example of violence see: Westboro Baptist Church)

Another very good example is my Aunt-in-Law who belongs to the Baptist Church. She believes that she is born-again and that she will be saved by God because she is pure. (despite the fact that she has 7 children) During Christmas '08, she came up to me and started a casual talk about how I was doing, etc., then she brought up religion, I talked about my philosophy and beliefs, and she told me that I would, "Burn in hell for all eternity and be laughed and spit on by the lord who has condemned you because I am his messenger and you are no christian you are an abomination. I feel no pity for such a filthy soul.", and then she turned around and walked away like nothing had happened. She said the same or something similar to my cousin who just recently had his second child. I don't get what her problem is? Do you know?

Her problem is that she clearly practices what she preaches and believes. I can't fathom a true Christian believing the Lord will laugh and spit on someone while condemning them to hell. The Lord doesn't delight in such things.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:39 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
Quote:

Love thy neighbor as thyself is a good one to start with but it is misunderstood. Many believe it should mean live and let live when in fact you should love your neighbor so much you would wish no harm come to them. I am considered Baptist and no one in my Church would talk so hateful to someone else. You need to pray for your aunt in law.

Westboro Baptist Church is not a Christian organization they are of Satan with their hate speech.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:01 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Quote:
My question is; if so many Christians claim to have good in their hearts, and that they truly care for others, then why do so many Christians disobey this commandment?

Because they do not know what "love" truly means, and they do not love themselves, first. So they cannot spread it around. They don't have it, within themselves.
You can't give someone something you do not possess, yourself. It's impossible.
You cannot "love" another person, while hating yourself.

There is probably a tiny fraction of people who actually love themselves and understand the word, in all its complexity. JMHO

Old 03-19-2009, 02:01 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quite often people knock others down so they ''appear" more righteous. These would be the self righteous sin counters. Remember it can work the other way as well... telling someone they are saved. What better way for satan to do his dirty deeds than to tell you " you've won the heaven lottery"!
Be wary of both.... unless their own life bears fruit.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,172,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
I can't fathom a true Christian believing the Lord will laugh and spit on someone while condemning them to hell. The Lord doesn't delight in such things.
I completely agree Aquila! Well put.

Carlos

Old 03-19-2009, 03:57 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,172,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Westboro Baptist Church is not a Christian organization they are of Satan with their hate speech.
Oh goodness. I did not realize that OP had been referring to that "church".

God help his aunt.

Carlos

Old 03-19-2009, 03:58 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Quote:

I was raised of Roman Catholic faith...............
I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful. You are using sound bytes from the bible to justify your worldly thinking. Maybe instead of reading one verse, try reading the entire chapter which will put that verse in the proper perspective. Read the bible and you will find your answers to your question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity