Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:14 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
And I never will because I believe, with all of my heart and soul, that He is my Big Brother, the Creator Son and that He is not God. He cannot save anyone from sin. God alone can do that.
You told me once that you knew of Divine Love. Why won't you ask for it? It is the only thing that can save you from sin because it is the essence of God. It eliminates all sin and the tendencies to do so. What is so hard about that? John also mentions it in the bible under Agape Love. Do you not know that?
Then you are preaching a different gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceofmind3344 View Post
Thanks guys. I knew many of the bible verses which are great to see but appreciate also your encourging words.I have wrestled with this sin myself during my life. I know in my own journey regardless of the temporary excitement that I received the consequences were much worst. Funny, time and time again on Every issue in my life it is clear God knows best!!
This issue within itself is a really good reason-- in my thinking-- for men to be in: community, support & accountabilty with each other.
peaceofmind
Amen, We all struggle with certain aspects of sexual temptation and the first step to healing is admitting and repenting.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Amen, brother. I certainly struggled with this and constantly lived in guilt. I could never break free of it, much like I could never break free of alcohol, until I surrendered my entire life, every crevice of it, to Christ. Only then, with regards to alcohol because I'm married now, was I able to overcome through Him. I am now free from this sin and have freedom in Christ.
Amen, the Lord has taken so many temptations from me so as I can actually enjoy the things that were blurred by temptation. I can now look at either a male or female in an artistic manner without wanting to have sex with them. I can now sit in a resturaunt near the bar, smell beer, and not be tempted to drink. I can watch boxing, wrestling and all types of fighting without wanting to do anyone harm. I can actually teach my children self defense now without fear of harming them. I can control my rage to the point I can us it to get a point across or stop someone from doing anther harm without doing harm myself. It is amazing the things God can free us from if we surrender to Him.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:59 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Because the Truth is not in you.
YOUR "Truth" is not necessarilly what is MY "Truth". One problem I have with Christianity is that there is only black & white...no room for shades of grays...and life (and people) are totally composed of shades of grays. I have studied Christianity, tried for almost 20 years to accept, understand, and be part of it...but that is just not my "truth"...so please do not accuse me of what you do not want to understand

Old 04-10-2009, 06:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Okay to start off with I do not want this to become a homosexual thread but I do want some scripture reference from time to time. Lets really delve into fornication because it is a real problem today that seems to really go unaddressed. We have teen pregnancy, single motherhood, prostitution and so many other aspects of fornication that are dragging us into ever more degridation.

I will openly admit that I am fighting with this sin with my 18 year old son who has been a Christian as long as I have but his hormones are raging and he is rather popular at school.
hi Robin,
While your viewpoint is certainly correct, maybe you could try to approach it from the opposite viewpoint--
that is, instead of putting your complete focus on sin & all of its corresponding negativities, put a fair-or-more amount of focus on all he stands to gain if he "does the right thing."
for example, the wonderful gift he will have for his future wife if he refrains from giving himself to others in the meantime;
or, if he would likely prefer a wife who has remained chaste, he should be willing to do the same.
or you could add that while "hormones" exist, as they're completely natural & normal, no one needs to give in to every "urge" that comes along-- demonstrating self-control is a sign of maturity and integrity.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
YOUR "Truth" is not necessarilly what is MY "Truth". One problem I have with Christianity is that there is only black & white...no room for shades of grays...and life (and people) are totally composed of shades of grays. I have studied Christianity, tried for almost 20 years to accept, understand, and be part of it...but that is just not my "truth"...so please do not accuse me of what you do not want to understand
Jesus left no room for shades of gray, He clearly said let your yes mean yes and your no mean no, not maybe. He also rebuked the lukewarm or to quote you the shades of gray, and said He would spew them out for they were neither cold nor hot. You dont try to accept Christianity, either you do or you dont.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
hi Robin,
While your viewpoint is certainly correct, maybe you could try to approach it from the opposite viewpoint--
that is, instead of putting your complete focus on sin & all of its corresponding negativities, put a fair-or-more amount of focus on all he stands to gain if he "does the right thing."
for example, the wonderful gift he will have for his future wife if he refrains from giving himself to others in the meantime;
or, if he would likely prefer a wife who has remained chaste, he should be willing to do the same.
or you could add that while "hormones" exist, as they're completely natural & normal, no one needs to give in to every "urge" that comes along-- demonstrating self-control is a sign of maturity and integrity.
Very good advice, but I have tried this, as a matter of fact these are the things I taught him before he became sexually active but somehow he got it in his head that he could do whatever he liked without repricusions. But I will continue to work with him, he is my son and I still love him no matter what even if I want to strangle him at times. LOL

Old 04-12-2009, 01:27 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,919 times
Robin wrote:

Quote:
It is love and compassion to be willing to let someone know they are trapped in sin and is in no way judgement, but a warning to draw them closer to the Lord.
In that sense Jesus was the ultimate fundamentalist!

HK

Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Jesus left no room for shades of gray, He clearly said let your yes mean yes and your no mean no, not maybe. He also rebuked the lukewarm or to quote you the shades of gray, and said He would spew them out for they were neither cold nor hot. You dont try to accept Christianity, either you do or you dont.

Satan lives and works in the gray areas... he hates the light.

HK

Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM

668 posts, read 2,186,466 times
Lets face facts...There are scriptures against this, but, reading it to an 18 year old, whos hormones are raging and is popular with the gals, is not going to get you anywhere!!

I have seen many church members who are sinning as they go to Church and ask for forgiveness. (One, we even had to have stop serving communion because he was living in sin, and partaking in communion and serving those in the pews...definetely a NO-NO).

People want to do what they want, and religion is only a concept until you really get into it, then it becomes your life! It seems that those who are not really committed are not going to follow the scriptures until they are absolutely ready to do so...(sort of like the horse and water bit).

I see that others have posted scriptures, so, I wont repost them...I will just give my opinion and tell you to keep praying for your Son. When he is ready, he will come around and start 'comforming' to the Word of the LORD.

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well..

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity