Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 02:59 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,348,104 times

Advertisements

The first thing I observe of Christ is that there was more in Him than met the eye or ear. Though seen and heard He was yet hidden. The vessel, indeed, was seen: the treasure was not seen.

To discern Him a certain capacity was needed, vouchsafed of God. "Flesh and blood never revealed Him" (Matt. 16:17). "He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not" (John 1:10): for "He came neither striving nor crying among men, neither was His voice heard in the streets" (Matt. 12:16-19).

But "he that was of God heard God's words: the Jews heard them not, because they were not of God" (John 8:47). Antichrists came in other guise, "saying, I am Christ" (Matt. 24:5): the Christ of God never said this.

"He bore not witness of Himself" (John 5:31): for He must be otherwise discerned. Even when asked, "Art thou the Christ?" His answer once and again was simply a reference to His works (Matt. 11:3-5; John 10:24); and the lost, who knew their need of such works, at once discerned Him.

Continued HERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 04:59 AM

381 posts, read 799,064 times
good topic. I often marvel at the myseries of the parables and how Jesus told the apostles that they had been given the mysteries of the kingdom, but he spoke to the people in parables. also, the apostles weren't fully aware of what must take place. The Father's will had to be carried out and we see Jesus saying "tell no one " during some of his miracles.
Yes, he was hidden, so the will of God could be met.

on easter sunday, we read from Luke, on the road to Emmaeus. that's a greatr teaching, because we're all on that road and don't realize he is walking with us the whole way. Oh what a friend we have in Jesus.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:18 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
The inward work of the Holy Spirit is often a hidden work, but the outward manifestation is Life. While we wonder why He has "hidden" us from men, we are being refined much as wine would be as it sits in a dark cellar - waiting for the Master to retrieve what He has placed inside in the vessel.

Jesus was (with good reason) quite confident in His Father's life within Him. Not only was it unnecessary to defend or promote His agenda, it was also contrary to the nature of the servant King.

I need it, I want it...

Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
good topic. I often marvel at the myseries of the parables and how Jesus told the apostles that they had been given the mysteries of the kingdom, but he spoke to the people in parables. also, the apostles weren't fully aware of what must take place. The Father's will had to be carried out and we see Jesus saying "tell no one " during some of his miracles.

Yes, he was hidden, so the will of God could be met.
Jesus Christ was a terrible evangelist. Instead of saying "I want to make this absolutely clear", He spoke the incarnate Word in parables. And we know from His mouth the reason.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The inward work of the Holy Spirit is often a hidden work, but the outward manifestation is Life. While we wonder why He has "hidden" us from men, we are being refined much as wine would be as it sits in a dark cellar - waiting for the Master to retrieve what He has placed inside in the vessel.

Jesus was (with good reason) quite confident in His Father's life within Him. Not only was it unnecessary to defend or promote His agenda, it was also contrary to the nature of the servant King.

I need it, I want it...
Indeed, Little Elmer! Why oh why must our God be the God who hideth Himself?

Now the first thing I observe of Christ is that there was more in Him than met the eye or ear. Though seen and heard He was yet hidden. The vessel, indeed, was seen: the treasure was not seen.

To discern Him a certain capacity was needed, vouchsafed of God. "Flesh and blood never revealed Him" (Matt. 16:17).

"He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not" (John 1:10): for "He came neither striving nor crying among men, neither was His voice heard in the streets" (Matt. 12:16-19).

But "he that was of God heard God's words: the Jews heard them not, because they were not of God" (John 8:47). Antichrists came in other guise, "saying, I am Christ" (Matt. 24:5): the Christ of God never said this. "He bore not witness of Himself" (John 5:31): for He must be otherwise discerned. Even when asked, "Art thou the Christ?" His answer once and again was simply a reference to His works (Matt. 11:3-5; John 10:24); and the lost, who knew their need of such works, at once discerned Him.

Such was the Incarnate Word, and in such ways was He discerned: and such is also the written Word. Containing within itself far more than meets the eye or ear, yea, more than has entered into man's heart to conceive (1 Cor. 2:9), it comes under men's eyes, and is heard by their ears, and yet only reveals its treasures to the sons of God.

The call of God, the Spirit's grace, a life of faith, a walk with Christ, pondering and treasuring up His words, even when dark and hidden,—in such ways was the Incarnate Word discerned of old: in such ways is the written Word opened now. Mere intellect cannot open it. God speaks to the heart. If the heart is dead, the Word is sealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity