Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:18 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,863,089 times

Advertisements

Be Proud of Being Catholic

(Excerpts of an article written by Sam Miller, prominent Cleveland
Jewish businessman -- NOT Catholic)

Why would newspapers carry on a vendetta on one of the most important
institutions that we have today in the United States , namely, the
Catholic Church?

Do you know -- the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million students
everyday at the cost to your Church of 10 billion dollars, and a
savings on the other hand to the American taxpayer of 18 billion
dollars. Your graduates go on to graduate studies at the rate of 92%,
all at a cost to you. To the rest of the Americans it's free.

The Church has 230 colleges and universities in the U.S. with an
enrollment of 700,000 students. The Catholic Church has a non-profit
hospital system of 637 hospitals, which account for hospital treatment
of 1 out of every 5 people -- not just Catholics -- in the United States
today.

But the press is vindictive and trying to totally denigrate in every
way the Catholic Church in this country. They have blamed the disease
of pedophilia on the Catholic Church, which is as irresponsible as
blaming adultery on the institution of marriage.

Let me give you some figures that you as Catholics should know and
remember. For example, 12% of the 300 Protestant clergy surveyed
admitted to sexual intercourse with a parishioner; 38% acknowledged
other inappropriate sexual contact in a study by the United Methodist
Church, 41.8% of clergywomen reported unwanted sexual behavior; 17%
of laywomen have been sexually harassed. Meanwhile, 1.7% of the
Catholic clergy has been found guilty of pedophilia. 10% of the
Protestant ministers have been found guilty of pedophilia. This is not
a Catholic Problem.

A study of American priests showed that most are happy in the
priesthood and find it even better than they had expected, and that
most, if given the choice, would choose to be priests again in face of
all this obnoxious PR the Church has been receiving.

The Catholic Church is bleeding from self-inflicted wounds. The agony
that Catholics have felt and suffered is not necessarily the fault of
the Church. You have been hurt by a small number of wayward priests
that have probably been totally weeded out by now.

Walk with your shoulders high and your head higher. Be a proud member
of the most important non-governmental agency in the United States.
Then remember what Jeremiah said: 'Stand by the roads, and look and
ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and
find rest for your souls.' Be proud to speak up for your faith with
pride and reverence and learn what your Church does for all other
religions.

Be proud that you're a Catholic!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 PM

257 posts, read 444,123 times
The world over it is needed for all who fear GOD, to learn and obey the teachings of JESUS CHRIST.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:34 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,482 times
Some of my favorite things about having a Catholic background, although I currently do not practice, was the Churches openness to other religions and world-views.They're so willing to work with everyone for common good. I don't necessarily mean approval of everything all the time by any means, they do a very good job of affirming where they stand and all religions know where the Catholic Church stands, sure you have a spectrum within it just like any institution, but they were always very open to debates and questions. I even heard once that it is through the questioning that your faith is made stronger and reaffirmed. Some of my least favorite things was once I began this questioning again, I wasn't so impressed with some things, like women in the Church, that is a HUGE issue for me, and the use of condoms. I will always love the Church though, and hopefully will go back to it one day when I'm not so mad at it.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:56 PM

257 posts, read 444,123 times
My goal as a Christian is to become a puplic speaker for the purpose of proclaiming the pure gospel of the LORD JESUS CHRIST and all the Words of Him.

As such, it is important to expose false doctrines which satan uses to lead people astray.

Catholics or Baptist or whatever the group, If they practice false doctrines, I fully expect to warn others of these various false doctrines being circulated.

I've not yet found a group which fully understands all the teachings of our LORD.

Certainly, statements made by an unbelieving Hebrew person about an organization with as many errors as the Catholics, holds no intrest for me, but will tickle the ears of many no doubt.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:02 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,987 times
I won't say anything about Catholicism,but I will say one does receive a top notch education from catholic schools.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:13 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,869,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post

The Catholic Church is bleeding from self-inflicted wounds. The agony
that Catholics have felt and suffered is not necessarily the fault of
the Church.

Be proud that you're a Catholic!
You have to be kidding me, the main problem was the cover up by the hierarchy.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:

(Excerpts of an article written by Sam Miller, prominent Cleveland
Jewish businessman -- NOT Catholic)

Meanwhile, 1.7% of the
Catholic clergy has been found guilty of pedophilia. Be proud that you're a Catholic!
Source?

Old 07-17-2009, 06:52 PM

The percentage of priests in the United States who have abused minors is neither small nor negligible. Already in 2002 Boston recorded 7.6 percent of its priests had abused minors; New Hampshire admitted to 8.2 percent at the same time. Records show that 11.5 percent of all the priests active in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles in 1983 have been reported abusers. Los Angeles’s major seminary in Camarillo California proved to have 30 percent sexual abusers in its1966 and 1972 graduating classes.

In 1986 23 percent of the priests active in the diocese of Tucson, Arizona were noted for sexual abuse.

The investigation that the USCCB entrusted to the John Jay School of Criminal Justice delivered its report on the Crisis in the Catholic Church in the United States on February 27, 2004. The hierarchy clings to the assertion in that report that 4.36 percent of priests (4,392) active between 1950 and 2002 were credibly reported for abuse. However, over 500 additional priests have been credibly accused since that time.

The J-J Study speaks for itself. In the years between 1960 and 1984 between 9 and 11 percent of active priests in the US are reported abusers. This is the most reliable measure of the percent of US Catholic priests and bishops who get sexually involved with minors and the vulnerable. This draws an accurate picture of the capacity of the clerical culture to produce, foster, and tolerate sexual abuse in this country.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:54 PM

27 posts, read 39,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForHimByHim View Post
My goal as a Christian is to become a puplic speaker for the purpose of proclaiming the pure gospel of the LORD JESUS CHRIST and all the Words of Him.

As such, it is important to expose false doctrines which satan uses to lead people astray.

Catholics or Baptist or whatever the group, If they practice false doctrines, I fully expect to warn others of these various false doctrines being circulated.

I've not yet found a group which fully understands all the teachings of our LORD.

Certainly, statements made by an unbelieving Hebrew person about an organization with as many errors as the Catholics, holds no intrest for me, but will tickle the ears of many no doubt.
Amen. I agree with the above quote!!!

No offense against the starter of this thread because I am attacking the spirit of the catholic church and not the flesh and blood of those in attendance.... but you must get out of there!

Jesus said not to call anyone upon this earth your father. You guys have no business calling those priests father:
Quote:
Matthew 23:9
And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
The word of God says it is a doctrine of a devil to forbid anyone to marry:
Quote:
1 Timothy 4

1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
The catholic church forbids their clergy to marry!! That is a doctrine of a devil!!!

The demonic spirit behind that false church illegally changed the Ten Commandment seventh day saturday sabbath to sunday. The commandment says to keep the seventh day holy, not the first day!!

God said that his seventh day sabbath would be a PERPETUAL covenant!!!
Quote:
EXODUS 31

12And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

13Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

14Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

15Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

16Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

17It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

18And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.
Jesus I pray that by your spirit the awareness of your truth will come the mind of the starter of this thread.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:

You have been hurt by a small number of wayward priests
that have probably been totally weeded out by now.

!
On July 16, 2009 Delaware County Sheriff’s Deputies arrested
Father James J. McDevitt, 62 years old, from Sacred Heart Church Margaretville, New York, on the following charges:

6 Counts – Sex Abuse in the Second Degree

1 Count- Sex Abuse in the Third Degree

7 Counts- Forcible Touching

6 Counts- Endangering the Welfare of a Child

Priest from Delaware County charged sex abuse | WBNG-TV Binghamton, NY | Local Top Stories (http://www.wbng.com/news/local/50964132.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity