Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 05:24 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times

Advertisements

In the interest of tolerance I'am wanting to understand the basis of others belief systems and I have a few questions about fundamentalism...Is there any such thing as a New Testament Fundamentalist? Is an Old Testament Fundamentalist considered to be completly a different religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 04:12 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
In the interest of tolerance I'am wanting to understand the basis of others belief systems and I have a few questions about fundamentalism...Is there any such thing as a New Testament Fundamentalist? Is an Old Testament Fundamentalist considered to be completly a different religion?
As I understand it, fundamentalism began in the last 100 years or so, by laying down certain doctrines as "fundamental" to salvation.
As such, I think it was a carnal attempt at creating unity, which only the Holy Ghost can do.

Someone once said that fundamentalism is "putting doctrine before love." I think there is truth in this.

Aisi, of course!...

Blessings,
brian

Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
I think the NT Fundy is different to the OT Fundy. Not saying they(the NT Fundy) are not sincere, they are just sincerely wrong. I too was once a Fundy, you could never tell me i was in error. I had no problem believing you were of the devil if you believed the scriptures differently to me and all the consequences of that, i was as dogmatic as they come, i too believed a contradictory message, i too had my eyes on how sinful the world is, instead of how wonderful Jesus is,i too thought you had a problem if you missed a couple of meetings,even the way you dressed, infact i probably would give most Fundy's on here a run for their money on being chief Fundy.

After a short period of time and feeling very uncomfortable about believing how i did, and began hating myself for it. God spoke to the depth of my being, i knew my heart was not right believing how i did.I remember getting up in an open meeting shortly after the Lord making me uncomfortable on how i believed and sharing that the Lord was more concerned our attitudes, than believing we have all the correct doctrines, it went down like a lead balloon.A week later i visited the pastor and told him i was leaving, he said i was wrong to leave, i said to him have you ever considered that you could be wrong yourself, he said i'm wrong many a time, but God never is(sounds wonderfully spiritual, but infact it's an excuse to say he's never wrong).They didn't believe me i could go on in the Lord without being part of that fellowship, but the grace of God on my life proved differently. After leaving the fellowship I do have to acknowledge the ministry of Andrew Wommack(no he's not a universalist) in helping me to change the way i thought and saw myself at that time,if anyone is struggling on how God see's them i would highly recommend getting hold of the disc "Grace and Faith,as a far as i know most of his material is free.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:07 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Good Morning and Big Thanks to both of you.
Both post make a whole lotta sense.
You know I always wondered while sitting in the pews how many of us (within the confines of those walls) believed alike? I felt certain we must have many varying degrees of beliefs/views because some of the folks in church seemed to be quite angry with others and it was usually the people whom the pastor had endorsed as being saintly who seemed to be the angriest with others. You could feel the tension/judgement in the air. I've never heard the Pastor speak specifically about E.T. but what he did say/explain with great angst was "There was a Preachor who had nerve enough to preach it ain't no hell! He's gonna bust hell wide open!" I felt by his inflection he wanted there to be a hell (for control and threatening) but he was too late I had already had a little talk with God and I understood that I did not need a hell to keep me from being immoral or for living a life that transcends death.

I used to watch Andrew Wommack all the time before coming to forum. I think I'll catch him this a.m. thanks pcamps.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:33 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,835,697 times
It is not a matter of putting doctrine before truth, truth is the doctrine.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:02 PM

104 posts, read 208,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
...Is there any such thing as a New Testament Fundamentalist? Is an Old Testament Fundamentalist considered to be completly a different religion?
Good question. Oftentimes they have a cross in the church but nothing Jesus said is ever mentioned.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:49 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I would think that the NT makes the OT irrelevant.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:16 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
It is not a matter of putting doctrine before truth, truth is the doctrine.
If you've seen me you have seen the Father was his doctrine. He is the truth, the reality of who God is, the exact representation of God. The truth is he is the revelation of God's great heart of love. Making known the heart of God to us was his mission, it's this that draws man to himself.

This is real bible fundamentalism, with not a sniff of dogmatism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity