Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:38 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts

Advertisements

Please explain this to me.

Your average Christian believes that no matter the mistakes you make in life, Jesus died for your sins and as long as you ask for forgiveness and worship the Lord you will be saved. Now does no one see what a horrible mentality that is? Why should I (I'm nice to people, don't steal, don't do drugs, don't murder, etc.) be denied heaven (according to you) because I do not worship your God. Meanwhile a murderer who has completely RUINED many lives, just begins asking for forgiveness and now he rises to heaven. So should I just steal, rape, and do whatever I please, then just ask for forgiveness at the end of the day?

How can you not question a God when his sole concern is whether you are worshiping him or not? In the end, that is all he apparently cares about according to those I speak with, that is your ticket to heaven. This just sounds so horrible to me, and I can't comprehend that people dedicate their lives to this. While Christians want me to find God, I think most of them need to find themselves. To a logical mind this is lunacy. You do know the most educated city in the U.S. is also the city with the fewest religious people. Far more ignorant/poor people are religious than wealthy/intelligent people. That should tell you something.

EDIT: Please do not quote the bible as I don't find that to be a reputable source as it can't be proven. Tell me why YOU personally allow yourselves to believe these things day by day. Tell me your personal thoughts.

Northsouth and carolinajack, please ignore this thread as your comments avoid the question, plus you're on my ignore list so I wouldn't even read the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post

Your average Christian believes that no matter the mistakes you make in life, Jesus died for your sins and as long as you ask for forgiveness and worship the Lord you will be saved. Now does no one see what a horrible mentality that is? Why should I (I'm nice to people, don't steal, don't do drugs, don't murder, etc.) be denied heaven (according to you) because I do not worship your God. Meanwhile a murderer who has completely RUINED many lives, just begins asking for forgiveness and now he rises to heaven. So should I just steal, rape, and do whatever I please, then just ask for forgiveness at the end of the day?

How can you not question a God when his sole concern is whether you are worshiping him or not? In the end, that is all he apparently cares about according to those I speak with, that is your ticket to heaven. This just sounds so horrible to me, and I can't comprehend that people dedicate their lives to this. While Christians want me to find God, I think most of them need to find themselves. To a logical mind this is lunacy. You do know the most educated city in the U.S. is also the city with the fewest religious people. Far more ignorant/poor people are religious than wealthy/intelligent people. That should tell you something.

EDIT: Please do not quote the bible as I don't find that to be a reputable source as it can't be proven. Tell me why YOU personally allow yourselves to believe these things day by day. Tell me your personal thoughts.

Northsouth and carolinajack, please ignore this thread as your comments avoid the question, plus you're on my ignore list so I wouldn't even read the answers.
It's hard not to quote the Bible on this, since it is my instruction book for life. People who have a REAL conviction from the Lord do not continue in the same life style as before. Being a Christian I want to stay as far way from anything that does not bring honor and glory to God.
And education has nothing to do with find God.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:51 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
There is only one way to heaven, since the heaven was created by God and his word the Bible tells us how to get there and how not to get there, that being good will not get one to heaven at all, because it isnt about US it is about Jesus alone

Old 04-13-2007, 08:53 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It's hard not to quote the Bible on this, since it is my instruction book for life. People who have a REAL conviction from the Lord do not continue in the same life style as before. Being a Christian I want to stay as far way from anything that does not bring honor and glory to God.
And education has nothing to do with find God.
Well apparently education DOES have something to do with it statistically. But those who aren't Christians tend to rely on things like facts and proof more often. Christians generally don't like it because what they believe is usually the opposite of what has been proven true (evolution).

What would make you believe in this God that craves worship and his book that has no proof of its accuracy?

Old 04-13-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Well apparently education DOES have something to do with it statistically. But those who aren't Christians tend to rely on things like facts and proof more often. Christians generally don't like it because what they believe is usually the opposite of what has been proven true (evolution).

What would make you believe in this God that craves worship and his book that has no proof of its accuracy?
I have all the proof I need in my heart and I am not going to argue with you anymore.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
There is only one way to heaven, since the heaven was created by God and his word the Bible tells us how to get there and how not to get there, that being good will not get one to heaven at all, because it isnt about US it is about Jesus alone
AMEN!!! I agree

Old 04-13-2007, 08:58 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
Education?? hmm thats why Christians and other people of religion have founded the great Universities. Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, Oxford, University of Cairo, Notre Dame, Villanova, Boston College, etc

we values education but it doesnt save you either, Only the grace of the living God does that

Old 04-13-2007, 08:58 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I have all the proof I need in my heart and I am not going to argue with you anymore.
Why did I dedicate my life to it for years without questioning it and not "feel" it as you do. I prayed every night, went to church, was at a Christian school. I dedicated myself completely.

And as I said, Christians never have an answer to this question. I'm just sorry to see people wasting their life away on something that probably doesn't even exist, and if it does, not in the way that they believe.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I hear this...

When I was about seven, my mother was driving me to a Wednesday Lenten service. We were on a back country road. There was a car ahead of us. It went off the road and drove into a ditch. I looked back and there was little girl about my age screaming and looking out the window at me. I told my mother.

She didn't want to miss church. She was quite upset that I would try to stop her.

My mother, believe it or not, told me the next morning that the woman had a heart attack and died. She said it like it was no big deal. It was on the local radio. I lived in a very small town.

My mother is a devout Christian, to this day. She calls me and begs for me to go to church. Quotes me scripture.

She has never realized how she ruined Christianity for me in that moment. Sure there were a lot of other moments. But that was the deciding factor.

Her actions have always summed up Christianity for me. Let's drive by the dying woman on the road to get to church to prove how much of a Christian I am.

I have never got past that.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:11 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:

Interesting how you ask a question and then tell those that respond how they can respond! Ignorance is bliss! I will just say this the answer to everything you brought up is in the bible , you might browse through proverbs. I think the biggest irony in life is the animosity that people such as yourself have for christians. many Christians without a doubt have done alot of misguided things but the bottom line is that christians believe in heaven and hell , and the reasons we want everyone to believe is so they too will be saved and go to heaven we do that out of love! Yet people such as yourself take it as an offense. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life! john 3;16 Now in my opinion that is pretty good news! God didnt say you have to jump through all these hoops and set up some standard that we could never meet,. Just believe! I learned along time ago you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink! If you choose not to believe no sweat off my back, I am sad for you but I wont try to convince you other wise, I would just leave you with romans 14;11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity