Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 06:43 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times

Advertisements

It is mostly about control and money, the men have to let the women know who wears the pants in the Church.

Did I mention money?
Many of the convents owned by various orders of sisters sit on large pieces of valuable real estate.

About a year and a half ago the Church threw a group of elderly nuns out of their convent in California so they could sell the building and property to help pay for the sex abuse scandal that was created by the male ran Church.
These homeless Roman Catholic nuns were taken in by a convent of Episcopal nuns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 08:08 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
So do you really think that Rome is going to find weapons of mass destruction hiddened in the convents?

No.. I know of some nuns that teach things like that it is okay to use contraception. Things that go absolutely against church teachings. They should be sought out and held accountable, which I know you usually are in favor of. Just like the Priests, these nuns too need to held accountable. I'm going to give Rome the benefit of doubt, and trust that those that need punishment will be punished, and those don't, won't. I'm use Rome will try not to catch anyone in the crossfire in the process the best that they can.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
No.. I know of some nuns that teach things like that it is okay to use contraception. Things that go absolutely against church teachings. They should be sought out and held accountable, which I know you usually are in favor of. Just like the Priests, these nuns too need to held accountable. I'm going to give Rome the benefit of doubt, and trust that those that need punishment will be punished, and those don't, won't. I'm use Rome will try not to catch anyone in the crossfire in the process the best that they can.
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 85-90% of Catholics use ABCs(artificial birth control)
At Vatican II the special commitee that was established to deal with this issue voted overwhelming to lessen the restrictions on ABCs.
The General Council was only given the minority report that said there should be no change in the Church's position on ABCs.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
No.. I know of some nuns that teach things like that it is okay to use contraception. Things that go absolutely against church teachings. .
Opposition to slavery also went against Church teaching for almost 2000 years.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:05 AM

DNick have you ever asked yourself "what would Jesus say or do"

Old 07-04-2009, 04:50 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times
sigh!

Old 07-04-2009, 04:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
This is an unfair accusation

Old 07-04-2009, 05:05 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
This is an unfair accusation
Tell me about it

Old 07-04-2009, 06:05 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
It is mostly about control and money, the men have to let the women know who wears the pants in the Church.

Did I mention money?
Many of the convents owned by various orders of sisters sit on large pieces of valuable real estate.

About a year and a half ago the Church threw a group of elderly nuns out of their convent in California so they could sell the building and property to help pay for the sex abuse scandal that was created by the male ran Church.
These homeless Roman Catholic nuns were taken in by a convent of Episcopal nuns.
I do think that's sad and real. Many bishops, even those who did nothing wrong on the sex-scandal, became focused in on the finances and lose sight of what really matters. I've seen this in a bishop I liked and it concerned me. I don't think this necessarily relates to this though.

Quote:
Opposition to slavery was rare everywhere until the eighteenth century. That said Christianity often forbade Christians from enslaving other Christians. Further in the sixteenth century Sublimus Dei, a letter by Pope Paul III, stated

"notwithstanding whatever may have been or may be said to the contrary, the said Indians and all other people who may later be discovered by Christians, are by no means to be deprived of their liberty or the possession of their property, even though they be outside the faith of Jesus Christ; and that they may and should, freely and legitimately, enjoy their liberty and the possession of their property; nor should they be in any way enslaved; should the contrary happen, it shall be null and have no effect."

Granted the Church did tend to favor compensated to forced emancipation.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:32 PM

The Vatican was comfortable knowing that their female fodder were manning (!) their schools, hospitals, universities and orphanages, doing everything as a group - remember the 'sters always kneeling in the front pews and being the first to receive communion? Always two by two in town, always in full habit, always in their convents. But once they heeded the call of Vat II, they became risk-takers, independent, imaginative, Spirit-filled and hard to control.

Seems the PTB are hell-bent on returning the tooth paste to the tube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity