Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:13 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,654 times

Advertisements

how do you know that the way you feel about Christ is love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:20 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
I hate sin and iniquity ,and those who sin, i believe in the lake of fire, and i read my bible and go to church .

Is this right ?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I hate sin and iniquity ,and those who sin, i believe in the lake of fire, and i read my bible and go to church .

Is this right ?
Ironmaw was i right ?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Quote:
Ultimately the truth is we don't love Christ because if we did then we would never sin again and none of us would take His place on the cross.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Ultimately the truth is we don't love Christ because if we did then we would never sin again and none of us would take His place on the cross.
Speak for yourself, if you don't mind.

I do love Him.

No I doubt I would have the courage to take His place on the cross, but He is God, isn't He. A human being could never do, what the Lord is capable of doing. He is too far above us. It would be impossible, for us to do what He has done.....

.....but He made us. He loves us anyway. Yes I do my best to avoid sin, but in the event I fail, I ask forgiveness and I know I am covered by His blood.

The Bible says that His ways are higher than our ways, and that is very true. We are unable to do what He did because He is God. That doesn't mean that we do not love Him.....at least, it doesn't mean it in my case.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:30 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
To answer the original question, how do you know that you love anyone?

I know that I love Him because I think of Him all through the day, I ponder over Him, I commune with Him, and I am grateful to Him for all He has blessed me with. I feel lucky that I know Him, and I am aware of His presence and His goodness, and I feel warmed.....I want to please Him....most of all, because I want to be with Him. If you love someone, you want to be with them, you want to be near them.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Speak for yourself, if you don't mind.

I do love Him.

No I doubt I would have the courage to take His place on the cross, but He is God, isn't He. A human being could never do, what the Lord is capable of doing. He is too far above us. It would be impossible, for us to do what He has done.....

.....but He made us. He loves us anyway. Yes I do my best to avoid sin, but in the event I fail, I ask forgiveness and I know I am covered by His blood.

The Bible says that His ways are higher than our ways, and that is very true. We are unable to do what He did because He is God. That doesn't mean that we do not love Him.....at least, it doesn't mean it in my case.
Exactly Sundance

2 Corinthians 5

1FOR WE know that if the tent which is our earthly home is destroyed (dissolved), we have from God a building, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2Here indeed, in this [present abode, body], we sigh and groan inwardly, because we yearn to be clothed over [we yearn to put on our celestial body like a garment, to be fitted out] with our heavenly dwelling,
3So that by putting it on we may not be found naked (without a body). 4For while we are still in this tent, we groan under the burden and sigh deeply (weighed down, depressed, oppressed)--not that we want to put off the body (the clothing of the spirit), but rather that we would be further clothed, so that what is mortal (our dying body) may be swallowed up by life [[a]after the resurrection].

Old 07-12-2009, 01:34 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,001 times
By our fruit.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Ironmaw was i right ?

Old 07-12-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
To answer the original question, how do you know that you love anyone?

I know that I love Him because I think of Him all through the day, I ponder over Him, I commune with Him, and I am grateful to Him for all He has blessed me with. I feel lucky that I know Him, and I am aware of His presence and His goodness, and I feel warmed.....I want to please Him....most of all, because I want to be with Him. If you love someone, you want to be with them, you want to be near them.
Thanks for your response ...

In the message to the angel of Ephesus we read ...

Revelation 2:4 - 5
"Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent."

The church in Ephesus had lost their love(agape) which that had at the first. I believe this is very indicative of much contemporary Christianity today.

However they had a few good attributes as well ...

"I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted."

So the first works that they are being told to do was their works of love. They had plenty of works for the trying of apostles and spreading the the gospel, but they had lost the essence of the gospel which is love thy neighbor as thyself and love thy enemy, or true brotherly love.

This is contrasted by the Church of Philadelpheia(brotherly love), who though they are weak and had little strength , they have kept the word of Christs Patience toward his creation. His long suffering which is mentioned in

Rev 3:10
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

This message of Gods patience is why the church of Philadelpheia is provided an open door of escape from the hour of temptation which will come upon the world to try all them that dwell therein.

Are we sure that Christ isn't on the outside knocking to be let back in? Are we baring the fruit of the spirit, chief of which is love? If we love Christ, shouldn't it be evident in how we treat others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity