Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 AM

11,902 posts, read 3,718,016 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about this forum. Is it possible that between the regular posters that we can have some ground rules, that even though we do not agree with each other that we treat each other with respect??

It seems that there are a wide diversity of posters here - we should be able to learn from each other even if one of the things is how to have patience. If we think that we can not learn from someone and we think that the person is teaching something false - can it be done with patience? And I know there are people lurking and not posting who see how we treat each other, it is not a good example of christian behaviour when we are commanded to -

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

I know that if I act unlovingly I want it to be pointed out - what do people think about us all calling each other on unlovingly behaviour shown????

For those who do not want to debate a particular topic but see something they don't agree with and want to express that fact, maybe they can just use
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:57 AM

8,182 posts, read 6,937,804 times
Count me in, brother.
love ya.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,889,654 times
Perhaps you are right Meerkat.

Besides, after some 2+ years on the forum, I've learned that posting my opinion on things has basically swayed ZERO people to my way of thinking. I suspect others have experienced the same thing. Even quoting scripture after scripture often seems to make no difference whatsoever. You are right that we are to love each other. If we think somebody is wrong on something, then we ought to reply in a kind non-offensive way.

Sometimes though, I'll see something that is so far off the "deep end" that it's hard not to think "oh for crying out loud....where did "that nut" come up with that nonsense? That is so totally whacko and unscriptural...", etc.

It doesn't bother me so much that a person might believe in something wierd. Although that may be a problem, it is isolated, it's basically just their problem, that they need to work out. It's when they teach others the same garbage, spreading it around, that gets to me... ....that's when it's hard for me not to speak up. Along this same topic: It's one thing to express and opinion, but quite another when we attempt to teach. Especially to the new Christians who might be reading the forum. Here's some examples:

(1) I believe you have to be baptized in order to be saved = opinion
(2) You must be baptized in order to be saved = teaching

(1) I think only 144,000 will make it into heaven = opinion
(2) Only 144,000 will make it into heaven = teaching

(1) We believe the earth is flat = opinion
(2) The earth is flat = teaching

(1) I think if you don't join our church, you'll be lost = opinion
(2) You will not go to heaven if you don't join our church = teaching

Etc, etc. One expresses an opinion, the other is an attempt at teaching.
(The above examples are NOT neccessarily anything I personally believe in...they are just examples)

It's kind of like this:
Expressing belief in a "whacko" doctrine =
Teaching a "whacko" doctrine to others =

Anyway, I think you are right: count me in as someone who will "make an effort" at watching my tongue...

Bud

Old 08-04-2009, 02:57 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,028,298 times
I like that Meerkat2. It's hard sometimes because of the diversity of people here. Depending on others experiences, each person only respond to a certain kind of love. What love means to one isn't necessarily love to another so we always have to keep an open mind regarding others beliefs and their truths.

Remember, BudinAK, Jesus was thought to be a "wacko" when He was teaching His new gospel. It wasn't until after His death that people knew what He was teaching.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Perhaps you are right Meerkat.

Besides, after some 2+ years on the forum, I've learned that posting my opinion on things has basically swayed ZERO people to my way of thinking. I suspect others have experienced the same thing. Even quoting scripture after scripture often seems to make no difference whatsoever. You are right that we are to love each other. If we think somebody is wrong on something, then we ought to reply in a kind non-offensive way.

Sometimes though, I'll see something that is so far off the "deep end" that it's hard not to think "oh for crying out loud....where did "that nut" come up with that nonsense? That is so totally whacko and unscriptural...", etc.

It doesn't bother me so much that a person might believe in something wierd. Although that may be a problem, it is isolated, it's basically just their problem, that they need to work out. It's when they teach others the same garbage, spreading it around, that gets to me... ....that's when it's hard for me not to speak up. Along this same topic: It's one thing to express and opinion, but quite another when we attempt to teach. Especially to the new Christians who might be reading the forum. Here's some examples:

(1) I believe you have to be baptized in order to be saved = opinion
(2) You must be baptized in order to be saved = teaching

(1) I think only 144,000 will make it into heaven = opinion
(2) Only 144,000 will make it into heaven = teaching

(1) We believe the earth is flat = opinion
(2) The earth is flat = teaching

(1) I think if you don't join our church, you'll be lost = opinion
(2) You will not go to heaven if you don't join our church = teaching

Etc, etc. One expresses an opinion, the other is an attempt at teaching.
(The above examples are NOT neccessarily anything I personally believe in...they are just examples)

It's kind of like this:
Expressing belief in a "whacko" doctrine =
Teaching a "whacko" doctrine to others =

Anyway, I think you are right: count me in as someone who will "make an effort" at watching my tongue...

Bud

Hi Bud - Thank you for your support, and I agree with what you say here, especially about the unscriptural stuff and it always pays to look at scripture in context and if its not scriptural - scripture needs to be quoted. We are told that teachers will be held to a higher standard (James 3:1) - and I believe that new christians can be helped by being told to always check everything against scripture, and to check scripture against scripture - that has been one of the absolutely BEST pieces of advice that I have received and I think it can't be stressed enough.

Also, those people who are lurking will be taking things in and it may be that you have helped some and just not got an acknowledgement from them. I know I read for quite a while without posting, and learnt a lot from various people.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:10 AM

Reverend,

You are right, it is hard because of the diversity, both in the personalities (human nature being what it is) and with the denominational diversity too.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:36 AM

14,893 posts, read 17,186,563 times
Quote:
I have been thinking about this forum. Is it possible that between the regular posters that we can have some ground rules, that even though we do not agree with each other that we treat each other with respect??

I think that it is a good idea, Meerkat. If we disagree, we need to tell why we disagree focusing on the topic being discussed rather than making accusations against the poster. All things should be done in love from a believer's perspective, no matter what we are discussing. We all need the reminders. And I believe that people are more likely to listen to another person's point of view if there is respect being demonstrated. Maybe this could be made a sticky. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 08-04-2009 at 07:03 AM..

Old 08-04-2009, 06:48 AM

23,021 posts, read 34,407,986 times
1 John 4:8 " But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love".

Jesus is our example of what it means to love, everything He did in life and death was supremely loving.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,407,338 times
I'm not a regular poster, but I do read along here. Meerkat, it would be very refreshing to see what you propose actually put into practice across the board at ANY Christian message board. I don't necessarily expect constant harmony, human nature being what it is, but it would be great to see a humble, servant spirit prevail.

I was just looking yesterday at the passages in James about the tongue:

"With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers and sisters these things ought not to be so!"

Talk about convicting! Thank God He gives the answer to the problem: Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you... Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselve before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

If it grieves our own spirit to know that we have fallen short, then we're ready to humble ourselves before God and let Him get to work in us to overcome. The first step, as they say in the 12 step programs, is admitting that I have a problem. Thank you for drawing our attention to it, Meerkat.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,190,414 times
Meerkat, thanks for the thread - I think a sea change has come, perhaps we have all felt the nudging of His Spirit. I sense His presence in a new way, and it has nothing to do with me - this life is not about us, but Him. I shelve my opinions and doctrine and everything else in exchange for His life.

He must increase, and I must decrease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity