Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 AM

148 posts, read 244,192 times

Advertisements

Just because there are verses that contradict a doctrine doesn't mean it is false or it can't be reconciled. These paradoxes prove the bible was written by God because if man wrote it then they would fix or do away with the "contradictions" Do not try to undue the supernatural revelation of His word

"I can just illustrate this by just asking you a few simple questions. Who wrote Romans? Paul. How many of you think Paul wrote Romans? Any other answers? Holy Spirit. How many of you think the Holy Sprit wrote it? This is a basic question folks; we’ve been here a long time. Who wrote Romans? You say well Paul wrote a verse, the Holy Spirit wrote a verse, Paul wrote a verse, the Holy Spirit wrote a verse--alternating. You say, every word was out of the mind of Paul, every word was out of the vocabulary of Paul, every word was out of the experience of Paul, the heart of Paul--that’s right. And every single solitary word came from the mind of the Holy Spirit, right? How can that be? I don’t know. I don’t know.
What about the doctrine of security? You say we’re secure, we’re kept, we’re kept by his power forever. Once we’re saved, we’re kept forever. But the Bible also warns us, don’t fall into unbelief, because you must persevere. There’s a persevering side that’s our part, there’s a keeping side that’s his part. If he’s keeping us why do we have to worry about persevering? But, that’s the way the Scripture outlines it.
I’ll ask you another question, since you’re doing so well on these, Is Jesus Christ God or man? Yes, good. That’s very good. Yes, how can he be fully God and fully man? It’s incomprehensible. Let me ask you another question, who lives your Christian life? Who lives it? You ought to know this because this is you folks. Who lives your Christian life? If it’s both of you the Lord is doing a much better job for his part, right? In fact anything good that happens in my life he did it, anything bad, I did it. It’s impossible. You say, it’s me, it is me I beat my body to bring it into subjection! It’s me! Then you have some people come along and say, "Let go, and let God." So, you have these, and there is a kernel of truth in that, Paul had it, Paul had it. You know how he said it? He understood it fully, this is what he said, Galatians 2:20, “I am crucified with Christ, never the less I live, yet, not I.” See he didn’t know either. It’s the same kind of tension. John Murray the great theologian says, “In every major doctrine in Scripture you have apparent paradoxes.” You want to talk about the Trinity there is another one. It’s a long answer, but it’s an important category of questions.
Don’t get caught up in trying to harmonize everything in the mind of God. You can’t you have to take it by faith; leave those doctrines where they are. Leave them at the poles they’re at, if you harmonize them in the middle you destroy both of them. And God will resolve it, sometime in the future when we know as we are known."

YouTube - Beware of Those Who Claim "Irreconcilable Paradox".

Last edited by Soljia; 08-05-2009 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,511 times
Yeah, and then there's the scriptures about everlasting destruction for sin and the other scriptures about Jesus coming to repair and rebuild the everlasting wastes which were a consequence of sin.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 AM

148 posts, read 244,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
Yeah, and then there's the scriptures about everlasting destruction for sin and the other scriptures about Jesus coming to repair and rebuild the everlasting wastes which were a consequence of sin.
Those are Christian doctrines?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:17 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soljia View Post
Those are Christian doctrines?
There are scriptures stating those two points and those two points appear as unreconcilable as some of the ones you listed.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,964,142 times
Actually, Paul didn't write Romans. Tertius did:

Rom 16:22 "I, Tertius, the writer of the epistle, am greeting you in the Lord."

But I'm sure Paul dictated it to him to write
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity