Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:20 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times

Advertisements

(Continued from another thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
This "being doctrinally correct is all important" thing is just NUTS!!! Never mind (for instance) that the 'trinity' is never taught in scripture - but yet if you question it you are considered a hell bound heretic (even by some Christian universalists!!!).

If Jesus were physically here today I think He would take out a TV ad and tell all the fundies to get a grip. Seriously.
Are you kidding me, that's not the problem with fundamentalist, we have a grip on scripture, sometimes to firm a grip. Fundamentalist can be stuffy, too regimented, too religious and at times legalistic. We tend to take the fun out of Christianity and it is something we constantly battle in our spirits but It is the liberals who need to get a grip, a firm grip. It is the liberals who allow homosexual clergy and say, well that is your interpretation of scripture. It is the liberals who play fast and loose in interpreting scripture so as not to offend anyone-allowing women pastors and say, well that was in those times and the bible is affected by sexism. At least many fundammentalist can see their weakness, their shortcoming, their pride/ sin. Can the liberals?

This led to me to ask, does everyone examine themselves and their denomination/ doctrine/ beliefs. What are the pitfalls of your beliefs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
The fundamental christianity that still raises it's ugly head within me is my pitfall , i am recovering from the effects it had on me but i am not completely cured from it yet.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times
I would say deciding at what point you just set aside what you know is wrong and let it be for the greater good, as in a Church just so unwilling to change, even though they should, it is ungodly for them not to, yet they refuse, yet they are still a Godly Church, so exactly how much leeway do we give organized religion? Organized religion gives us much leeway as individuals, should we do the same? Then I think, no, the group is to be help to a higher standard because of the stronger effect the group can have than an individual can have. However, in church, many become one, soooo I don't know. Basically, at what point is sacrificing your morals and what you know is right, well not sacrificing but I guess I should say 'putting them aside' for a group? Is this EVER right? We do it all the time through affiliations, but usually they are minor differences, I guess knowing when you're being an enabler by refusing to support such behavior, and knowing when you're simply showing mercy...it's much more tricky from a religious point imo. If you believe a Church is going against God, not that they really care whether you come or not but hey w/e, do you go anyways to honor God because they have several other good things going? Or do you honor God more by refusing to support a Church with such a major conflict till they change? Hard stuff.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:06 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The fundamental christianity that still raises it's ugly head within me is my pitfall , i am recovering from the effects it had on me but i am not completely cured from it yet.
That didn't answer my question. What is the pitfall of your beliefs NOW?

Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times
this topic is an off-shoot of another topic?

Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,724 times
it appears so, inspired by another topic, the funny thing is my conflict is the exact opposite of the original post, lol, man we all sit there and say, 'i just don't know if I can support that ungodly behavior' as we sit across from the person on the other end too funny

Old 10-02-2009, 09:19 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
What are the pitfalls of your beliefs?

Total assurance has none.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
That didn't answer my question. What is the pitfall of your beliefs NOW?
What you believe rules you Fundy , so the things that are not of God that rule me , in otherwords the things that are in the deep recess's of me that are borne from believing the wrong stuff,which unknowingly took me captive and laid seige in my mind thus effecting my concept of who God really is .

For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete

Old 10-05-2009, 10:18 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,069 times
None at the moment. It's all good.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,310 times
Quote:
(Continued from another thread)

Are you kidding me, that's not the problem with fundamentalist, we have a grip on scripture, sometimes to firm a grip. Fundamentalist can be stuffy, too regimented, too religious and at times legalistic. We tend to take the fun out of Christianity and it is something we constantly battle in our spirits but It is the liberals who need to get a grip, a firm grip. It is the liberals who allow homosexual clergy and say, well that is your interpretation of scripture. It is the liberals who play fast and loose in interpreting scripture so as not to offend anyone-allowing women pastors and say, well that was in those times and the bible is affected by sexism. At least many fundammentalist can see their weakness, their shortcoming, their pride/ sin. Can the liberals?

This led to me to ask, does everyone examine themselves and their denomination/ doctrine/ beliefs. What are the pitfalls of your beliefs?
Can the conservatives? It is the conservatives that is making our country look bad. It is the conservatives that allowed our country to suffer through living hell for 8 years. It is the conservatives who cannot admit that they were wrong about their Republican president. It is the conservatives that want to go back to the good ol' days where women were still subservient to men and blacks were still slaves to the white. Please don't group everyone together just because you heard it on Fox news and make them into a stereotype. That's your personal pitfall right there

As for my beliefs, the pitfalls in it is that there is too much kindness and open-mindedness. I wouldn't mind digging into my sadistic side and spill someone's blood once in awhile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity