Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,001,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKdros View Post
This is what amoral, atheist thinking does - devalues human life so people are just objects, women become objects for being used like a disposable paper towel, and any laws that stand in the way are just man-made rules that were made to be broken. If they think they can get away with it, they will do it every time, people like that.
I'm willing to wager that you can find tons of examples of "god believing" rapists sitting in jail right now OR walking the earth freely. They grew up in church, read the bible, probably pray and might even be Christians. Thy know god will forgive them, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 08:36 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The word of God mandates capital punishment for certain kinds of crime. Murder of instance. Matthew 26:52 ''Those who take up the sword shall die by the sword.'' This is not a reference to a soldier, but to the criminal.

Rape is every bit as heinous a crime as murder. Criminals who commit these types of crimes should be executed. Not rehabilitated. Even if they could be rehabilitated, the fact remains that they must pay the price for what they did. And the penalty for some kinds of crime is death.
Well, I guess David Wilkerson should have just put a bullet through Nicky Cruz's head instead of reaching out to him. Great thinking Mike. I guess Jesus should have met Paul the apostle in the way and chopped his head off with a flaming sword? (Paul WAS a murderer).

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood".

That's Christianity 101.

Fundies say the damndest things.

Also take note that I acknowledged the seriousness of the crime and the need for full prosecution.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:46 PM

33,223 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Well, I guess David Wilkerson should have just put a bullet through Nicky Cruz's head instead of reaching out to him. Great thinking Mike. I guess Jesus should have met Paul the apostle in the way and chopped his head off with a flaming sword? (Paul WAS a murderer).

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood".

That's Christianity 101.

Fundies say the damndest things.

Also take note that I acknowledged the seriousness of the crime and the need for full prosecution.
The first mention of capital punishment as a penalty for murder is mentioned in Gen. 9:6 (which was BEFORE the Mosiac Law) '' Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God made He man.''

Capital punishment is carried over into the Mosiac Law where a number of different offences are punishable by death.

In the New Testament, Romans 13:1-4, affirms that the state-civil goverment, has the divinely ordained responsibility to keep law and order, and to protect its citizens against evil doers. The word 'sword' in verse 4, is a reference to capital punishment. By divine authority, the goverment has the responsiblity to invoke the death penalty for crimes that are worthy of death.

It is bleeding heart liberalism that rejects God's delegation of capital punishment to the civil authority, and seeks compassion for the murderer instead of justice.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:

It is bleeding heart liberalism that rejects God's delegation of capital punishment to the civil authority, and seeks compassion for the murderer instead of justice.
Just as in theology some just adhere to systems instead of stopping and thinking about the whys. I have a Catholic friend who says "Just kill 'em all and let God sort them out".

We have a system of justice to prosecute these matters but for a man of faith to only see the punishment side (in your view ETERNAL punishment) is lop sided. Remember - even under the law (which we are not) the weightier matters were judgement AND mercy.

Mike, I'm not stupid. I would not take these guys into my house, for instance. But I would definitely speak with them about the good news of Jesus if given the opportunity. I would not simply pull out a gun and kill them (as apparently you would).

Do you deny you are an equal sinner to these accused? Have you ever hated, for instance?

Fundies say the darndest things!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 10:24 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,480 times
Quote:
The first mention of capital punishment as a penalty for murder is mentioned in Gen. 9:6 (which was BEFORE the Mosiac Law) '' Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God made He man.''

Capital punishment is carried over into the Mosiac Law where a number of different offences are punishable by death.

In the New Testament, Romans 13:1-4, affirms that the state-civil goverment, has the divinely ordained responsibility to keep law and order, and to protect its citizens against evil doers. The word 'sword' in verse 4, is a reference to capital punishment. By divine authority, the goverment has the responsiblity to invoke the death penalty for crimes that are worthy of death.

So by the Mosaic law Jesus should've killed Paul instead of having mercy on him. Geez that god is a hypocrite!

Old 10-31-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Just as in theology some just adhere to systems instead of stopping and thinking about the whys. I have a Catholic friend who says "Just kill 'em all and let God sort them out".

We have a system of justice to prosecute these matters but for a man of faith to only see the punishment side (in your view ETERNAL punishment) is lop sided. Remember - even under the law (which we are not) the weightier matters were judgement AND mercy.

Mike, I'm not stupid. I would not take these guys into my house, for instance. But I would definitely speak with them about the good news of Jesus if given the opportunity. I would not simply pull out a gun and kill them (as apparently you would).

Do you deny you are an equal sinner to these accused? Have you ever hated, for instance?

Fundies say the darndest things!!!
I was referring to the implimentation of capital punishment by the state. Not vigilantism. The criminal who has committed a crime that warrents the death penalty should after being convicted, be either publically hanged, or shot, or some other suitably explicate way that may make other would be criminals stop and think. And it should be televised live.

You shouldn't make assumptions regarding what you think other people mean.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I was referring to the implimentation of capital punishment by the state. Not vigilantism. The criminal who has committed a crime that warrents the death penalty should after being convicted, be either publically hanged, or shot, or some other suitably explicate way that may make other would be criminals stop and think. And it should be televised live.

You shouldn't make assumptions regarding what you think other people mean.
Yes - very logical and I'm not even disputing that.

And still absolutely no mention of possible redemption for their souls. Just an eye for an eye. It's what people emphasize most that's so telling. And blood red fonts won't make statements any stronger or weaker - it the thought behind them.

What is being described is a natural system of justice with no apparent understanding of who or what the real enemy is. Hint: It is not these lost souls.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Yes - very logical and I'm not even disputing that.

And still absolutely no mention of possible redemption for their souls. Just an eye for an eye. It's what people emphasize most that's so telling. And blood red fonts won't make statements any stronger or weaker - it the thought behind them.

What is being described is a natural system of justice with no apparent understanding of who or what the real enemy is. Hint: It is not these lost souls.
All that's being addressed here is the matter of punishment for the crime committed. The issue of the criminal being witnessed to was not the issue being addressed. As I said. You shouldn't make assumptions about what you think other people mean.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:37 AM

127 posts, read 310,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
I really beg to differ as regards that generalization.

You can not possibly convince me or anyone else that over a two hour period of time, only atheists gang raped her.

They weren't all atheists, were they....?
I never said any of them were atheists, nor am I out to convince you or anyone that they were. Don't put words in my mouth.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:39 AM

127 posts, read 310,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I'm willing to wager that you can find tons of examples of "god believing" rapists sitting in jail right now OR walking the earth freely. They grew up in church, read the bible, probably pray and might even be Christians. Thy know god will forgive them, right?
I never said atheists committed this rape. Moderator cut: Deleted as rude/attacking

Last edited by june 7th; 11-02-2009 at 05:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity