Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It has to be dependent on our belief. It's all over the New Testament. God does not save anyone who does not believe in His Son whom He sent.
He is the Savior of All men . 1 Tim 4 verse 10 . You just didn't decide to believe , He drew you to it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't know about all of that - the son could be looking for his dad at the same time - and from his perspective, he found his dad.
It sounds like you are saying i refuse to accept the whole of Salvation is of God.

Jeusus is the Salvation of God . Luke 2 verse 30 .

Old 01-09-2010, 07:54 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
No. There is no passage that says Christ's sacrifice was limited to a specific group of individuals.

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Note, that the 'all who have sinned' are the those are justified freely by His grace.

To be a Calvinist, you really need to read the Bible with Calvin's Institutes.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

If Christ's atonement is limited, then God does not really love the World, but only the 'limited part of the World'
Christ said He came to save the Lost Sheep of Israel, that is a very limiting statement....the limitation is implied in scripture...scripture is made up of direct statements and implied reasoning...

Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Whatever John Macarthur has got to say , i know one thing for sure my Father is in the business of restoration and Ted Haggard's life is certainly planned for exactly that .

Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Just remember that God KNOWS all things and KNOWS every choice that everyone will make or not make. It is called Omniscience (all knowing). God desires that all would come to the saving knowledge of Christ but not everyone will. He knows that because He is God.

You need to understand that God doesn't single his creation out and say hmmm, well I'll pick him, reject that guy over there. No, there are plenty of Scriptures that clearly state (and I can't list those scriptures right now cause I have to go somewhere) that God is no respector of persons, but with His all KNOWING character he is aware of the ones who will reject Him.. Free will is something that He gives us so that we are not puppets. We are able to choose him or reject Him, love Him or hate him. He desires that we love him.

So it isn't His choice but ours... I think your problem lies in the fact that God is ALL KNOWING. Does it make you uncomfortable? Maybe you need to take care of some business between you and the Lord, Richard1065
I am not uncomfortable at all...God is all knowing because He ordains all...and God does single out His creation...He singled out Israel to be His chosen people...and rejected the rest of the world...there is not much in scripture that i do not understand...God says "i chose you, you did not choose me, i sought you, you did not seek me"...pretty clear there...and the scripture that says God is no respector of persons is just saying that He does not choose based on merit, be it Riches, conduct, etc...it does not mean He does not choose...

Old 01-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Yes....Amen!
If more individuals could truly see this! That it is ALL God's doing and just like you have said, "Christ died for all your sin and you can do nothing to add to that or take away from it."
Yes, it truly does give one peace that our salvation does not depend upon ourselves, but ONLY upon the work of Christ, the Son of God, that's it, nothing else.

I am so thankful when God shock my world and got my attention revealing to me.....there is nothing I can do to be saved but only follow the desire God has revealed, placing into my heart through the power of His Spirit whom God gave to my life, sealing, protecting me in Christ.... too BELIEVE in the Son of God whom is the living sacrifice for my sin.

Trusting Him completely and it is He who even gives us the mind and heart the ability to trust, honor, believe, walk in all that is written in His word.

I don't know how to put into words, yet I have seen it..... more so these days...... the truth of what you have posted.

It is ONLY God's choosing to reveal to those who He is and that He has drawn one by His grace to know His great mercy, revealing to the heart the reality of our God the great "I Am", He is our Mighty God, Prince of Peace, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, for all of eternity! Now....yes, right now, His Kingdom reigns!

Blessings
Amen....thanks be to God for that and for giving you the understanding that He gave me after 8 years of confusion...We have liberty through Christ to do all things, but not all things are benifitial...What does that mean to you?...Read the account of the Hebrews in the desert for 40 years and ask yourself what was there sin that prevented them from entering God's rest...it was not all the building and worshipping of the idol that they made, it was lack of faith that God would deliver them to the promised land, this was the sin that prevented them from entering into His rest...the idol worship was just a result of their lack of faith...it was not the cause for God's decision...God's decision was prompted by their lack of faith...but, do not take my word...read the account yourself...

Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 PM

Donna and Harold here are a couple of verses from the Old Covenant you love quoting from.

If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? Psalm 130:3

he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. Psalm 103:10

Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
He is the Savior of All men . 1 Tim 4 verse 10 . You just didn't decide to believe , He drew you to it .
the word they translate as "draw" gives a gentle non-violent implication, but, the greek word gives a violent meaning to "drag"

G1670
ἑλκύω, ἕλκω
helkuō helkō
hel-koo'-o, hel'-ko
Probably akin to G138; to drag (literally or figuratively): - draw. Compare G1667.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:26 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I am not uncomfortable at all...God is all knowing because He ordains all...and God does single out His creation...He singled out Israel to be His chosen people...and rejected the rest of the world...there is not much in scripture that i do not understand...God says "i chose you, you did not choose me, i sought you, you did not seek me"...pretty clear there...and the scripture that says God is no respector of persons is just saying that He does not choose based on merit, be it Riches, conduct, etc...it does not mean He does not choose...
Just a thought though? Didn't God choose everything and doens't He have control over everything except for free will in man?

In other words He chose how he would create the world, the universe, the stars, the heavens, even man. A Creator chooses the materials, the substance, the colors for his masterpiece.

So in other words, He did choose us but it was the disobedience of man or mans decision to choose evil and walk away from God... not God's chose at all... Make sense to you?

Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
the word they translate as "draw" gives a gentle non-violent implication, but, the greek word gives a violent meaning to "drag"

G1670
ἑλκύω, ἕλκω
helkuō helkō
hel-koo'-o, hel'-ko
Probably akin to G138; to drag (literally or figuratively): - draw. Compare G1667.
Yes the Love of the Holy Spirit is very compelling to man. Richard I am not saying that you are blind by posting the scripture below so please don't take it the wrong way. I simpy love this scripture... I am amazed by the fact that God's kindness leads us to repentance.. Beautiful!!!

Romans 2:4 (Amplified Bible)

4) Or are you [so blind as to] trifle with and presume upon and despise and underestimate the wealth of His kindness and forbearance and long-suffering patience? Are you unmindful or actually ignorant [of the fact] that God's kindness is intended to lead you to repent to change your mind and inner man to accept God's will)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity