Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 03:27 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,892,212 times

Advertisements

They certainly can! I, for one, happen to be an "old-earth" creationist. I don't believe the earth is 6000 years old, but rather that it is very very VERY ancient. And...I don't believe that viewpoint conflicts with the Bible at all. Here's one link with interesting comments:

Can You Be a Christian and Believe in an Old Earth?

Seeing as how what you believe regarding this topic has very little bearing on whether you make it to heaven or not, I wouldn't make too much of a big deal out of it...just use it as an interesting study is all. (I don't think we have enough Bible basis to make a hardfast "doctrine" out of any of this. Even if we did have a doctrine, it would hardly be a factor in determining one's eternal destiny) IE: don't let this topic sidetrack you off-course for too long...just use it as an item of passing interest. That's kinda how I see it...

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 03:31 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,580,237 times
yup!! old earth creationism is not an essential doctrine of Christianity just a person who lacks spiritual discernment in that department.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:42 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,734,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
yup!! old earth creationism is not an essential doctrine of Christianity just a person who lacks spiritual discernment in that department.
I wholeheartedly agree.
The Earth is about 4.5 billion years old, as are the other planets in our Solar System.
It has been proven how stars and solar systems of planets form, including our earth.
The first life to form was prokaryotic, or single-celled life, about 3.5 billion years ago. The first multi-cellular life about 1.5 billion years ago.
Carbon Dating is science, not a pseudoscience, so these ages are verifiable.
I am sure plenty of other people have looked at time lines of life forms on Earth, and similarly believe in Evoluationary theory.
Believing in christianity and evolution are not mutually exclusive entities.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:00 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,580,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree.
The Earth is about 4.5 billion years old, as are the other planets in our Solar System.
It has been proven how stars and solar systems of planets form, including our earth.
The first life to form was prokaryotic, or single-celled life, about 3.5 billion years ago. The first multi-cellular life about 1.5 billion years ago.
Carbon Dating is science, not a pseudoscience, so these ages are verifiable.
I am sure plenty of other people have looked at time lines of life forms on Earth, and similarly believe in Evoluationary theory.
Believing in christianity and evolution are not mutually exclusive entities.
You mean disagree?.......I use to be an old earth creationist but then I decided do I take the word of man who hates God and introduces a non practical, non observable "science" called evolution or do I take the word of God to be true. Furthermore I studied the history of evolution and how it spawned darwinism, social darwinism etc.... As a black man I do not like how I am deemed furthermore I see you live in Australia because of "evolution" people were hunting and killing Aboringines like wild animals.

An atheist scientist so eloquently and defiantly put it, "all we have is evolution because the alternative is not acceptible"

Old 11-12-2009, 04:41 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,734,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You mean disagree?.......I use to be an old earth creationist but then I decided do I take the word of man who hates God and introduces a non practical, non observable "science" called evolution or do I take the word of God to be true. Furthermore I studied the history of evolution and how it spawned darwinism, social darwinism etc.... As a black man I do not like how I am deemed furthermore I see you live in Australia because of "evolution" people were hunting and killing Aboringines like wild animals.

An atheist scientist so eloquently and defiantly put it, "all we have is evolution because the alternative is not acceptible"
I do not like what happened to the Australian Aboriginals, in fact there was actually a complete "genocide" of Tasmanian aboriginies, who had been separated from the mainland since the end of the last ice age - some 10,000 years ago (note the time factor I mention). This was abhorrent.
History is full of such atrocities, including the North American indians.
In fact genocide is peculiar to humans, look at the Nazis, and more recently in Rwanda - one particular ethnic group ie the Hutus, trying to wipe out the Tutsis - by cutting them up with machetes - some 1 million of them. These were two black races that were almost identical in appearance to an outsider.
This does not define the laws of science or evolution, only hatred in the absolute extreme.
Even animals do not kill each other for the sake of it.
Going back to the original topic, believing in scientific theories is not necessarily a trait of an atheist, just someone who wants to understand the world they live in, and even improve it for the better.
I happen to believe in both theories of creation and evolution concurrently, and even believe that there may have once been microbial life on Mars for example.
Once you mix Carbon, Nitrogen and Sulfur, as well as Hydrogen and Oxygen in correct quantities, eventually you will get life.
The element Silicon, which has the same valency as Carbon, could also form the basis of life in some other galaxy.
All of this is both statistical, and probable.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:50 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,261,102 times
I personally believe that as long as Jesus is your Lord and Savior....you can believe a great many other things that may be entirely wrong or entirely right....and all can still be well with your soul.

But on this one BudinAK....I agree with you and believe the same way. I think we have a tendency to put God and creation in our own Earthly 3D Time Box and not open up to the possibility of a bigger picture.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,777,637 times
I just see evolution as the means to which god created us, and everything on the Earth.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:32 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,442,203 times
Science is the understanding of what God created.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,777,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Science is the understanding of what God created.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,892,212 times
Ok people...this thread is NOT about the theory of evolution! It's about the age of the earth...please keep on topic! For whatever reason seems like some Christians feel that if a person believes in an old earth, then they also believe in evolution and are therefore supporting an "anti-God" viewpoint, etc. That isn't neccessarily the case!

I started this thread because there are Christians who believe in an old-earth. I am one of them. I do NOT believe in the theory of evolution, but I do believe that the earth was created by God...a LONG LONG time ago. (millions and/or billions of years) There is an overwhelming amount of evidence to support the belief that the earth is very ancient. A lot of Christians like to discount any scientific findings that clash with their beliefs as being "pure hogwash", "non-Biblical", "errant", etc, and therefore automatically reject any such facts before really examining them. However, God Himself is the one who established the laws of science in the very beginning...science in and of itself is not inherrantly "anti-God"...He created it, and all of the laws that apply: of motion, energy, light, mass, chemistry, etc!

Another link: Deep Core Tests for the Age of the Earth | Reasons To Believe

More: http://www.angelfire.com/la2/prophet1/ageuniverse.html

And more: http://www.godandscience.org/youngea...l#4T22bVaA2mW9

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 11-16-2009 at 02:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity