Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 05:44 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Kat,

The parable is about what happens to those that denied their faith in God, the prophets, and most importantly ...Christ
I actually believe the parable is more about the weak teaching the strong...

That Jesus chose the lowly to spread the gospel not the rich and pompous..

But that is my take on it. I don't believe the parable is about hell at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 05:52 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
So what you're saying is that if one version of the bible doesn't fit into your box of beliefs you shop other versions and translations to locate something that fits better?
Although the NASV correctly translates the Greek word 'ekenosen' as emptied in Phil 2:7, it gives people the wrong idea as to what Paul meant. Paul did not say that Jesus emptied Himself of His Deity when He became a man. That is, Jesus did not stop being God when He became a member of the human race. What Paul is saying is that Jesus voluntarily set aside the independent use of His Deity in accordance with the Fathers plan while He was on earth during His first advent.

That Christ retained His Deity is shown in Matthew 4:3, when Satan tempted Jesus to turn stones into bread. Something only God can do.
''If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.''

Therefore, I do not use that translation of the verse as it gives rise to the false doctrine of Kenosis, as opposed to the true doctrine of kenosis.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:07 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Although the NASV correctly translates the Greek word 'ekenosen' as emptied in Phil 2:7, it gives people the wrong idea as to what Paul meant. Paul did not say that Jesus emptied Himself of His Deity when He became a man. That is, Jesus did not stop being God when He became a member of the human race. What Paul is saying is that Jesus voluntarily set aside the independent use of His Deity in accordance with the Fathers plan while He was on earth during His first advent.

That Christ retained His Deity is shown in Matthew 4:3, when Satan tempted Jesus to turn stones into bread. Something only God can do.

Therefore, I do not use that translation of the verse as it gives rise to the false doctrine of Kenosis, as opposed to the true doctrine of kenosis.
Something else only God can do is forgives sins. That is why the Pharisee's and teachers of the law questioned Jesus' authority to do so.
Jesus also raised the dead, a feat that God could only do. Unlike in the OT when a prophet did a miracle in Jehovah's name, Jesus didn't.

Only the omnipresence og God can fill the universe. Which that is how Paul describes Jesus' ascension:

Ephesians 4:10
He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.)

Old 11-28-2009, 06:17 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Mike...
Why can't you explain just this one verse for me? Why is that...?......you avoid it like the plague...I wonder why that is...? You...who seems to care so much about "false doctrine"...You...who teaches false doctrine...? Please...just explain this one, tiny, eensy-weensy little verse:

Hebrews 3:12...which states: "Take heed, *brethren, *lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in *departing from the living God.

*brethren. those who are of the faith...who live for God, in His righteousness...family...like-minded.

*lest there be. Greek (indicative), "lest there be shall," lest there be, as I fear there is; implying that it is not merely a possible contingency, but that there is ground for thinking it will be so.

*departing. -apostatizing. The opposite of "come unto" Him (Hebrews 4:16) God punishes such apostates in kind. He DEPARTS from them - the worst of woes!...to apostatize from Christ is to apostatize from the living God (Hebrews 2:3).

Old 11-28-2009, 06:27 PM

127 posts, read 149,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Because you believe in an eternal Hell with it's sole purpose of existence being the torment of the person therein...

Right there... what you said.

I challenge you to point out where I said hell's sole purpose of existing is for tormenting people who are there.

If you can't, I think that would be proof that you are reading things that aren't there. I would also believe you are reading things that aren't in the Bible as well.

I don't think the Bible tells us to sit down and study it like a text book with out other people to help us.

You can point that verse out for me if you can find it.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Mike...
Why can't you explain just this one verse for me? Why is that...?......you avoid it like the plague...I wonder why that is...? You...who seems to care so much about "false doctrine"...You...who teaches false doctrine...? Please...just explain this one, tiny, eensy-weensy little verse:

Hebrews 3:12...which states: "Take heed, *brethren, *lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in *departing from the living God.

*brethren. those who are of the faith...who live for God, in His righteousness...family...like-minded.

*lest there be. Greek (indicative), "lest there be shall," lest there be, as I fear there is; implying that it is not merely a possible contingency, but that there is ground for thinking it will be so.

*departing. -apostatizing. The opposite of "come unto" Him (Hebrews 4:16) God punishes such apostates in kind. He DEPARTS from them - the worst of woes!...to apostatize from Christ is to apostatize from the living God (Hebrews 2:3).
At least an unanswered question speaks volumes. The people who just read these posts looking for answers notice that. I know I wouldn’t trust someone who refuses to answer a question.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:33 PM

If anyone who believes all people will go to heaven, these questions are open.

Here are three verses that warn us about being cast into hell.
If no one was going to hell, why the warning?

Mar 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mar 9:45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mar 9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

And this one. If no one is going to hell, why would Jesus warn people of being in danger of hell fire?

Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:38 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,938,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgy1961 View Post
Of course God does good. He lets the rain fall on the good and the bad.
Why do you believe this? What do you believe is good and for how long?

Quote:
You’re taking so much out of context, it’s hard to know where to begin.
What I'm trying to do is give you concepts to work with and have you apply those truth's to your doctrinal positions.

Quote:
And what makes you think that I am an “unbeliever?”
An unbeliever as in: Your ability and desire to do good for your own, but not believing God (who is good) will not also do good for all His own (all souls). I apologize, for being sarcastic. Do you believe all souls are God's? Do you believe God has the power to save all souls? Do you believe God desires to save all souls?

Quote:
And if what you believe were true, and if everyone is going to heaven, what in the world would I need prayer for?
That is a serious question and I would appriciate an answer. I’ve never heard of anyone beliving the things you believe.
For the same reason Paul told us to pray for all men, and not only for our benefit, but also for their benefit:

1Ti 2:1 I exhort, then, first of all, there be made supplications, prayers, intercessions, thanksgivings, for all men:
1Ti 2:2 for kings, and all who are in authority, that a quiet and peaceable life we may lead in all piety and gravity,
1Ti 2:3 for this is right and acceptable before God our Saviour,
1Ti 2:4 who doth will all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth;

Quote:
And I noticed you skipped my questions. If I miss any questions you have for me, please point them out. At the same time, I would like to have an answer to my questions.
Thanks.

Here are three verses that warn us about being cast into hell.
If no one was going to hell, why the warning?

Mar 9:43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mar 9:45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

Mar 9:47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

And this one. If no one is going to hell, why would Jesus warn people of being in danger of hell fire?

Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
I don't deny the warnings, but I differ with you on what it's ultimate goal and results will be and how those end results will be achieved that lead to their salvation. That's where we differ.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Why do you believe this? What do you believe is good and for how long?
Because the Bibles says
Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Good is good forever, evil is evil forever.

Quote:
What I'm trying to do is give you concepts to work with and have you apply those truth's to your doctrinal positions.
I try to stick with biblical doctrine only.

Quote:
An unbeliever as in: Your ability and desire to do good for your own, but not believing God (who is good) will not also do good for all His own (all souls). I apologize, for being sarcastic. Do you believe all souls are God's? Do you believe God has the power to save all souls? Do you believe God desires to save all souls?
Unbelief is a sin. A very severe sin.
I believe in God the Father. I believe he sent his only begotten Son to die on the cross for our sins. I believe in the Holy Spirit… I think you get the point.
What I don’t believe is everyone is going to heaven.
I believe God created all souls, but gave us the choice to do what we want.
If, as an adult, I were to take off to another country and decided to be a drug dealer, I'm sure my earthly father would want nothing more than for me to come home where I would be safe. That would be his will. That would be God's will as well, but God does not want puppets that he controls, he want's people to come to him by their own free will.

Quote:
For the same reason Paul told us to pray for all men, and not only for our benefit, but also for their benefit:
Many people will be saved through prayer. Others won't.

Quote:
1Ti 2:1 I exhort, then, first of all, there be made supplications, prayers, intercessions, thanksgivings, for all men:
1Ti 2:2 for kings, and all who are in authority, that a quiet and peaceable life we may lead in all piety and gravity,
1Ti 2:3 for this is right and acceptable before God our Saviour,
1Ti 2:4 who doth will all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth;
It was God's will that Adam and Eve would have never sinned, but they did. Again, God does not want puppets that he controls.

Quote:
I don't deny the warnings, but I differ with you on what it's ultimate goal and results will be and how those end results will be achieved that lead to their salvation. That's where we differ.
All I ask is an answer to the two questions.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That wasn't a quote from Gen 2:4.

Adam's spirit did not exist before his body.

Just as your body was formed in your mother’s belly, your spirit is separate. When your body dies, your spirit does not die. I believe all of our spirits were created in the first six days. Our bodies are formed in our mother’s bellies. Our spirit needs a body while here on earth. All things have already been created, including our spirits. Our spirits were created by God, and our bodies are formed in our mother’s belly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity