Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hell is.......
A literal lake of fire where all who do not accept Christ are tormented for eternity 14 28.00%
A lake of fire where all who do not accept Christ are thrown to be burned up and annhilated 4 8.00%
An eternal place of dark loneliness for those who do not accept Christ 2 4.00%
There is no literal Hell. "Hell" is like karma for when people do bad things while alive. 6 12.00%
All of the above. The worse the person is, the worse the punishment 1 2.00%
Other 23 46.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 PM

241 posts, read 379,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
"where the fire is not quenched" does not mean the fire burns eternally.

If my house caught fire and it burnt to the ground and the news said "the firemen cannot quench the fire" would you think the fire will go on for eternity?

The fire of Gehenna (improperly translated "hell") is not quenched for the eon. In other words, Christ will not allow the fire in that trash dump to be put out. Why would He? It is used to burn up the offal of the city Jerusalem during the 1000 years kingdom.

The worms are not deceasing doesn't mean they go on for eternity. It just means that, while Gehenna is being used as a trash dump that the worms will be there to eat up dead bodies and offal of the city where the fires are not at that time consuming the material in the dump.
This fire is eternal. Quench here can mean several things. To put out, cool down, extinguish, satisfy, destroy, or overcome. None of these things will happen to the fire. This is everlasting destruction (2 Thess. 1:7-9), everlasting fire (Matt. 25:41) meaning that it will never end. You can't compare your house being on fire to hell fire. Your house can be put out. It can quench itself because eventually it will go out, but hell fire no man can put out, only God and he isn't going to go back on his word because that would make him a liar. God does not and cannot lie (Heb. 6:18; Titus 1:2).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 05:52 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Hell is real, and eternal damnation and torment will be given to those who fall under God's judgement. In many situations, when a catastrophic incident happens, our lives are taken instantly and we don't suffer. But imagine having to suffer for eternity, and nothing will end the misery.

As a Christian, I can say that we have only one life, and God gives us so many chances to accept Jesus as our way to salvation. We get so many second chances in life, but once our life is over, we won't have any second chances to rethink our ways when we're standing infront of God for judgement.

Jesus himself said "If you deny me before man, I will deny you before my Father in heaven". Don't let that day come, where you end up wishing you could have done things differently in life.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:00 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Hell is real, and eternal damnation and torment will be given to those who fall under God's judgement. In many situations, when a catastrophic incident happens, our lives are taken instantly and we don't suffer. But imagine having to suffer for eternity, and nothing will end the misery.

As a Christian, I can say that we have only one life, and God gives us so many chances to accept Jesus as our way to salvation. We get so many second chances in life, but once our life is over, we won't have any second chances to rethink our ways when we're standing infront of God for judgement.

Jesus himself said "If you deny me before man, I will deny you before my Father in heaven". Don't let that day come, where you end up wishing you could have done things differently in life.
Well said Mike

Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,993 times
Quote:
God does not and cannot lie
Did God lie here then or does the bible contradict itself?

For I will not contend for ever, neither will I be always wroth: for the spirit should fail before me, and the souls which I have made. (Isaiah 57:16)

Did Jesus lie, when He said this?

And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. (John 12:32)

Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
The term "HELL" is a translation of different words in the Bible, in one translation it is translated from a word "Hades" which is simply a place below the ground. It can be a grave or crevice or any reference to something below the surface. Another translation is from "Sheol" (Hebrew) which is the same meaning as Hades. Another is from Gehenna which is where the FIREY torment meaning comes from which is really in error. That term is used as a TYPE of the destruction that awaits the wicked. Not that they will be burned by a literal fire forever but that their wickedness will be burned away (in type) by the Fire of the Holy Spirit which shall annhilate their wickedness leaving in place nothing but righteousness in each of us. It is the wickedness of man's heart that has used that to teach this false doctrine that people will be consumed by a literal fire in eternal torment. Hope that helps.
I believe evil men are the one's who reject the clear teachings of Scripture and lead other men to error. Clearly, the Bible states in Revelation 20:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. (THEY WILL BE TORMENTED DAY AND NIGHT FOR EVER AND EVER.)

Only false doctrine would reject that teaching.

Also we have other Christians who are coming forward with experiences that should not be dismissed.
23 Minutes in HELL, by Bill Wiese, he explains the torments of what Hell is like

Old 12-29-2009, 07:25 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I believe evil men are the one's who reject the clear teachings of Scripture and lead other men to error. Clearly, the Bible states in Revelation 20:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. (THEY WILL BE TORMENTED DAY AND NIGHT FOR EVER AND EVER.)

Only false doctrine would reject that teaching.

Also we have other Christians who are coming forward with experiences that should not be dismissed.
23 Minutes in HELL, by Bill Wiese, he explains the torments of what Hell is like
It isn't false teachings necessarily that are rejecting that teaching. It is false understanding that has established that teaching. Many that embrace it do so blindly in allegiance to the faith of their parents or because they simply asked their minster for what their minds should believe. But others have studied those verses with careful consideration and determined contrarywise.

When you carefully consider the scriptures you will see that the FLAMES spoken of are God's own ministers. Even the wicked shall be STONED to annihilation - but what are God's Stones? What stones is He going to throw at the wicked? - Of course this is a reference to our Apostles.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,993 times
"forever and ever" is an incorrect rendering of the Greek phrase eis tous aionas ton aionon which literally means "into ages of ages" which is a Hebrew idiom such as "songs of songs", "lords of lords".

if "for ever" is understood as to mean endless, which sense does "for ever and ever" make, it has no sense!

"ever" is derived from Latin aevum as far as I know, so "for ever and ever" might mean "for aevum and aevum" which is "for age and age".

I consider people like Bill Wiese as false prophets of which Jesus and the prophets warned of.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

Old 12-29-2009, 02:20 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It isn't false teachings necessarily that are rejecting that teaching. It is false understanding that has established that teaching. Many that embrace it do so blindly in allegiance to the faith of their parents or because they simply asked their minster for what their minds should believe. But others have studied those verses with careful consideration and determined contrarywise.

When you carefully consider the scriptures you will see that the FLAMES spoken of are God's own ministers. Even the wicked shall be STONED to annihilation - but what are God's Stones? What stones is He going to throw at the wicked? - Of course this is a reference to our Apostles.
Oh please, the flames are God's own ministers? If you believe that, then you could pretty much dismiss any Scripture. Simply by suggesting that any word you don't personally care for, now has a new meaning. I never had a blind allegiance to my parents faith. Yet for the last 48 years, I have always imbraced the clear teachings of the Biblical Text. What you are doing, is called replacement theology.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:28 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Time for a 'hell' study - eh?

Spirit of the Word articles
I am all for it, bring it on but be sure and include the original Hebrew and Greek so that we can all study in context.

There is a place for those to spend eternity who don't receive/believe Christ and accept eternal life. I wouldn't want to be anywhere void of Gods Spirit or His presence. I believe that it is His Light, His Love, His Power that is the glue that is holding all this together right now. To be apart from the Creator would be awful. So we all need to find out... where is the other place for those who reject Christ?

He gave us salvation but to be saved from what? What do I/we need to be saved from? Ponder that question. Salvation (saving grace) is used many times in the Bible and it is everywhere in the Scriptures. Do a study on what Salvation means and you will KNOW that mankind needs it to be saved for something. And that something is HUGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity