Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hell is.......
A literal lake of fire where all who do not accept Christ are tormented for eternity 14 28.00%
A lake of fire where all who do not accept Christ are thrown to be burned up and annhilated 4 8.00%
An eternal place of dark loneliness for those who do not accept Christ 2 4.00%
There is no literal Hell. "Hell" is like karma for when people do bad things while alive. 6 12.00%
All of the above. The worse the person is, the worse the punishment 1 2.00%
Other 23 46.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 01:11 PM

271 posts, read 657,615 times

Advertisements

I know it may seem strange but I've always been interested in the concept of Hell. (Being an atheist I've been told many times that I'm going there )

I'm not interested in debating or arguing about the subject, what I am interested in is the history of how it got started and the current belief on what it is and who goes there and why.

When responding (if you do) please note that I don't get offended easily but I'm pretty set in my beliefs so don't try to change them

There's a poll included but I would also like to know if you know of any books or literature out there that talks more about the history of the subject

I forgot to add the option of none of the above

Last edited by dacx; 12-06-2009 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 01:20 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,213,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
I know it may seem strange but I've always been interested in the concept of Hell. (Being an atheist I've been told many times that I'm going there )

I'm not interested in debating or arguing about the subject, what I am interested in is the history of how it got started and the current belief on what it is and who goes there and why.

When responding (if you do) please note that I don't get offended easily but I'm pretty set in my beliefs so don't try to change them

There's a poll included but I would also like to know if you know of any books or literature out there that talks more about the history of the subject
Hell as is taught is a concept that comes straight from the carnal minds of men....not GOD. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:51 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Hell as is taught is a concept that comes straight from the carnal minds of men....not GOD. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
It's an imaginary place where all your enemies go

Old 12-06-2009, 03:01 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Hi dacx,
This is a very informative treatise on the subject:

The Origin and History of the Doctrine of Endless Punishment

Old 12-06-2009, 03:27 PM

418 posts, read 1,090,279 times
Fire is physical, there must be a separation between that and spiritual. I think it means the burning desire to be in heaven with God and not being able to. Eternal punishment.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buettner View Post
Fire is physical, there must be a separation between that and spiritual. I think it means the burning desire to be in heaven with God and not being able to. Eternal punishment.
The rich man wanted water to cool his tongue; he wanted relief from hell's torment; thus, hell is a place where the senses will be in tact. Woe to all who go there.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:17 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Going by the Bible and tradition it does seem Hell would be a place of fiery torment. However I admit that I am drawn a bit to other statements in the Bible or tradition, which indicate it is a dark place where any torment comes from regret and not being with God or the believers.

I don't think non-believers necessarily go to Hell. I think of it more as those who lack love for God and Man or maybe who would not accept Christ no matter what rather than non-acceptance due to ignorance or family loyalty.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
I believe hell is real, while man's interpretation of it is not.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Hell is darkness of the soul. Once the person in darkness learns forgiveness and Love, they can progress into the lighter regions of heaven. No one ever stays there for eternity. At some point, hell will close and all will either be in the natural love heavens or the Celestial Heavens.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:45 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post

I forgot to add the option of none of the above
Ask yourself for what Jesus went through and suffered and died for your sins and you continue to sin knowing everytime you sin you literally are spitting on Him while He is on the cross then you die in your sin unrepentant. What do you think you deserve and that will tell you if the concept of hell really exists or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity