Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
MISSING THE MARK?

When the question of sin comes up Christian teachers are quick to point out that sin has to do with "missing the mark"......

In the Biblical sense the word "sin" which is derived from "hamartanō" refers to those who miss the mark by breaking God's commandments - that was how John used it in context concerning willful sin.

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth SIN transgresseth also the law:
for SIN is the transgression of the law.

Those who sin ignorantly have missed the mark God has established in the ten commandments. Those who commit sin (miss the mark) willfuly, are not children of God.

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;
In context, the commandments in 1 John 3 was in regards to loving your brother. It was by not loving your brother, the query was how then, can the love of God be in you?

Let us not miss the mark of the context of 1 John 3rd chapter.

As we read on.. we see the whole list of that commandments leading up to and summarized in 1 John 3:22-24 and I see only two listed there.

The rest is by Jesus Christ being Our Good Shepherd in leading us in the way we ought to go as we live by faith in the Son of God in living the christian life.

I have to say that there is a missing of a mark when it comes to the House of God and that is how we honour the Son: That is the standard of judgment that will fall on all believers because they cannot honour nor glorify God the Father through any other way but Jesus Christ:

And yet, the way has been broadened to include the Holy Spirit to be worshipped and glorified, being presented as another "Go To" Person of the Trinity "instead of Christ".

Can those that err do not see how they speak as the world speak and hear as the world hear? Does not tongues without interpretation exists in the world before Christ came? Do not American Indians call for the Great Spirit to come again and again as some will testify of the expereince of drunkenness in its presence? Do not American Indians seek communion with animal spirit guides? All this by seeking the spirit. How would God call them out from the world to Himself to have that personal relationship with God so as to stand apart from the world?

The Lord Jesus Christ.

John 14:6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 7If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

John 10: 1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber........ 7Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9I am the door:

There are no invitations to the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit is not another door to go to in having that relationship with God for He dwells in us, still pointing us to the Bridegroom to be intimate with God by Him.

John 5: 39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. 41I receive not honour from men. 42But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. 43I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. 44How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?

John 5: 22For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

That is missing the mark.

False prophets will broaden the way: Matthew 7:13-27

The solution is to narrow the way back to the straight gate: Jesus Christ

Luke 13: 24Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Or risk being found as a worker of iniquity for climbing up another way "instead of Christ" which is the definition of the anti-christ".

Luke 13: 27But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.

Matthew 7: 13Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. 15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

In the words of John the Baptist's:

Matthew 3:3For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Mark 1:3The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Luke 3:4As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

John 1:23He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.

That's four witnesses declaring that no one shouold be broadening the way to God by including another path to God or another door to God for there is only one way to God and Jesus Christ is the only way.

Many will claim that it has to deal with salvation only, but Jesus spoke of by Him that we have access to the Father and by Him we have that relationship with God and Jesus Christ is still the One the indwelling Holy Spirit is pointing those in the world to come out of teh world in having that personal reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ ONLY.

Pointing to the Son... not to the Holy Spirit... is the only way those in the world that seek after spirits and worship them can come out of the world to be witnesses of the Son and have that relationship with God the Father through the Son.

It is because of the RCC in presenting the Nicene creed that the way has been broadened so that the name of Jesus is no longer a name above every other name... and yet God the Father cannot be honoured nor glorified through any other Person other than the Son.

John 13:31Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

So while you are toting that which is out of context to bring all the keeping of the commandments on the believer to be condemned by for not being able to do it all... you are missing the mark of those passages as all the commandments are listed in 1 John 3:22-24 and the writer stated that plainly.

And while you are talking about something to place the emphasis on the believer... wayward believers are missing the mark in how to have and maintain that personal relationship with God and that is through the Bridegroom Whom the Holy Spirit in us is still pointing us to as He is pointing those in the world by the scriptures to come to Jesus as well.

But no.... everybody keeps pointing everywhere else except to the Son only for life as if He is not able or He is not enough... and yet Jesus Christ is the Good News to man....... there is no addendum nor forgotten memo.

Truly... all these extras that takes the believers' eyes off of Him are the wood, stubble, and hay that is going to get burned away. Those are the consequences for missing the mark of John 14:6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Harold,

Don't you understand that we (in the flesh) will ALWAYS miss the mark....NO ONE can follow the law (completely without misstep) and be righteous....that was the whole point of The Christ coming to show us The Way to the Father....we get there through Christ, by following his footsteps, and he never misses the mark. That is why we live IN CHRIST and don't depend on our fleshly performance!! Praise GOD!!

Those who sin ignorantly have missed the mark God has established in the ten commandments. Those who commit sin (miss the mark) willfuly, are not children of God.

HK

Old 12-14-2009, 09:23 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,663 times
Quote:

HK
Believers can read. How hard is it for 1 John 3 to include the word "ten" to the term "commandments"?

In context: it is referring to not loving your brother which is the sin.

You are reading that chapter with your beliefs regarding the ten commandments as hanging over the believers still, and for what? To exalt your sabbath keeping over those believers that do not.

I seriously doubt anyone is capable in keeping the sabbath by enjoying the luxury of having other people working on the sabbath for their benefit.

Think about it. Are you living your life at ease that requires others to work on the sabbath?

Last edited by Enow; 12-14-2009 at 09:42 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 PM

723 posts, read 1,045,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Harold,

Don't you understand that we (in the flesh) will ALWAYS miss the mark....NO ONE can follow the law (completely without misstep) and be righteous....that was the whole point of The Christ coming to show us The Way to the Father....we get there through Christ, by following his footsteps, and he never misses the mark. That is why we live IN CHRIST and don't depend on our fleshly performance!! Praise GOD!!
I see contradiction!!! If he was SHOWING us the way to the father, then isn't it possible that NOT breaking the commandments was what he was showing us?? And also, If we were following in his footsteps and he never misses the mark, then how can ever follow in his footsteps if it is impossible for us to hit the mark??

Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I see contradiction!!! If he was SHOWING us the way to the father, then isn't it possible that NOT breaking the commandments was what he was showing us?? And also, If we were following in his footsteps and he never misses the mark, then how can ever follow in his footsteps if it is impossible for us to hit the mark??
...exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellant observation...God Bless you.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 PM

988 posts, read 1,902,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post

A good point. One person suggested that if we knew what it meant to be IN CHRIST we would not be talking about obeying God's law.

That made me chuckle at her ignorance - according to the Scriptures those who are IN CHRIST both walk after the Holy Spirit and walk as Jesus walked. That is to say that those who actually are IN CHRIST do not commit sin. They walk after the Holy Spirit just as Jesus did.

Want proof?

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are IN CHRIST Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth IN HIM ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Some think that one can be IN CHRIST and walk NOT as He walked.

Some think that one can be IN CHRST and walk NOT after the Holy Spirit.

Lets look at what one who does NOT walk after the Spirit but rather walks after the flesh looks like...

Rom 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.

Rom 8:6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

Rom 8:7 For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God,
for it does not submit to God's law;
indeed, it cannot.

According to the Apostle John those who walk after the flesh do not submit to God's law and are hostile to God. And that is exactly what some here teach - that they do not submit to God's law and say there no need to submit. God help them.

One might ask - which law was Paul talking about? I will let Paul answer for himself:

Rom 7:7 Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, "You shall not covet."

Only the Biblical illiterate would deny Paul was speaking of the ten commandment law of God.

HK

Old 12-15-2009, 12:26 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,658,642 times
Quote:
A good point. One person suggested that if we knew what it meant to be IN CHRIST we would not be talking about obeying God's law.

That made me chuckle at her ignorance - according to the Scriptures those who are IN CHRIST both walk after the Holy Spirit and walk as Jesus walked. That is to say that those who actually are IN CHRIST do not commit sin. They walk after the Holy Spirit just as Jesus did.

Want proof?

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are IN CHRIST Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth IN HIM ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Some think that one can be IN CHRIST and walk NOT as He walked.

Some think that one can be IN CHRST and walk NOT after the Holy Spirit.

Lets look at what one who does NOT walk after the Spirit but rather walks after the flesh looks like...

Rom 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit.

Rom 8:6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

Rom 8:7 For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God,
for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot.

According to the Apostle John those who walk after the flesh do not submit to God's law and are hostile to God. And that is exactly what some here teach - that they do not submit to God's law and say there no need to submit. God help them.

One might ask - which law was Paul talking about? I will let Paul answer for himself:

Rom 7:7 Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, "You shall not covet."

Only the Biblical illiterate would deny Paul was speaking of the ten commandment law of God.

HK
...Amen Harold!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
MISSING THE MARK?

When the question of sin comes up Christian teachers are quick to point out that sin has to do with "missing the mark".

The Greek word Sin hamartia (G264) is derived from the root word hamartanō (G266) which historically was an archers term that means to "miss the mark" . (See definitons below)

With that in mind, Modern Christianity in an attempt to trivialize willful sin often says something like this:

"Therefore to sin merely means to miss the mark; which seems to be a small thing since nobody hits the mark every time - right? After all nobody is perfect."

To understand the true meaning it must be understood that the root word meant much more than just missing the bulls eye from time to time. It means to miss the mark and so not share in the prize.

For example: Think of a King gathering an army of archers and he had them tested to see if they could hit a target with their bow an arrow. Those who missed the mark were disqualified.

That is the sense of the Greek word "hamartanō" The archer did not get more chances - it was miss and out. The word denotes failure with consequences.

In the Biblical sense the word "sin" which is derived from "hamartanō" refers to those who miss the mark by breaking God's commandments - that was how John used it in context concerning willful sin.

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth SIN transgresseth also the law:
for SIN is the transgression of the law.

HK

Definitions:
G266 hamartia sin - offence, sin (-ful). -From G264;

(G264 hamartanō properly to miss the mark (and so not share in the prize),
Eyes on the prize eh?

1 Timothy 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; 9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; 11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

If you are in Christ, you really shouldn't need a set of laws as you will do what is right because your eyes are on God.

And the very next verse Paul admits that he too belonged to the unrighteous crowd to which the law applied.

Think about it. If you never drive faster than the speed limit do you really need a law that states you must drive the speed limit? Do you need a policeman to enforce it if you always drive the speed limit? If you drive the speed limit as a guide to how fast you should safely go then you don't need it enforce by anyone. You do it because it is right.

The Law is not made for the righteous man.

You are missing the mark, errr point.

Last edited by katjonjj; 12-15-2009 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-15-2009, 12:59 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Eyes on the prize eh?

1 Timothy 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; 9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; 11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

If you are in Christ you really shouldn't need a set of laws are you will do what is right.. eyes on God.

And the very next verse Paul admits that he too belonged to the unrighteous crowd to which the law applied.

Think about it. If you never drive faster than the speed limit do you really need a law that states you must drive the speed limit? Do you need a policeman to enforce it if you always drive the speed limit? If you drive the speed limit as a guide to how fast you should safely go then you don't need it enforce by anyone. You do it because it is right.

The Law is not made for the righteous man.

You are missing the mark, errr point.
Right on, Kat. When it comes to the bible most people just see things on the surface. They have a hard time understanding the deeper meanings. They are like babes.They just are unable to delve deeper. That`s why I had to leave organized religion.
The pharisees only saw the physical laws. They only saw what was written on the surface. Jesus taught something deeper,something spiritual. They just couldn`t grasp it. It`s the same with organized religion. They might as well rip the new testament out of their bible and just live by the old testament alone.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:22 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Right on, Kat. When it comes to the bible most people just see things on the surface. They have a hard time understanding the deeper meanings. They are like babes.They just are unable to delve deeper. That`s why I had to leave organized religion.
The pharisees only saw the physical laws. They only saw what was written on the surface. Jesus taught something deeper,something spiritual. They just couldn`t grasp it. It`s the same with organized religion. They might as well rip the new testament out of their bible and just live by the old testament alone.
Yes! That is why I don't attend services under the religious system we see in most churches today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity