U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2009, 04:47 AM
 
Location: East Coast
27,165 posts, read 17,903,937 times
Reputation: 1878

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
Those who sin ignorantly have missed the mark God has established in the ten commandments. Those who commit sin (miss the mark) willfuly, are not children of God.

1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;

HK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Romans 13 :9

Verna, HK , DK,Almost2L8 you see it's about loving your neighbor and not keeping the Law , what more evidence do you need than this explicit confirmation from the scriptures that by loving your neighbor you are fulfilling the whole Law , in other words our walk is about Loving not keeping.

Romans 13 : 10

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.Therefore is there for a reason.
Can i get an Amen Harold ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Florida
564 posts, read 596,670 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
Believers can read. How hard is it for 1 John 3 to include the word "ten" to the term "commandments"?

In context: it is referring to not loving your brother which is the sin.

You are reading that chapter with your beliefs regarding the ten commandments as hanging over the believers still, and for what? To exalt your sabbath keeping over those believers that do not.

I seriously doubt anyone is capable in keeping the sabbath by enjoying the luxury of having other people working on the sabbath for their benefit.

Think about it. Are you living your life at ease that requires others to work on the sabbath?
Praise God!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,881 posts, read 4,825,377 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I see contradiction!!! If he was SHOWING us the way to the father, then isn't it possible that NOT breaking the commandments was what he was showing us?? And also, If we were following in his footsteps and he never misses the mark, then how can ever follow in his footsteps if it is impossible for us to hit the mark??
What did Jesus say were the two commandements that fulfilled the entire law and prophets?

That is why we live IN CHRIST and not by our fleshly carnal selves. CHRIST is the one who accomplishes this for us.

I'm getting the impression, based on some of the posts that I've read, that people really do not understand fully what it means to be IN CHRIST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 AM
 
Location: RV Park
7,517 posts, read 10,939,321 times
Reputation: 4412
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I'm getting the impression, based on some of the posts that I've read, that people really do not understand fully what it means to be IN CHRIST.
No kidding - it's RIGHT THERE in front of our faces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,881 posts, read 4,825,377 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Right on, Kat. When it comes to the bible most people just see things on the surface. They have a hard time understanding the deeper meanings. They are like babes.They just are unable to delve deeper. That`s why I had to leave organized religion.
The pharisees only saw the physical laws. They only saw what was written on the surface. Jesus taught something deeper,something spiritual. They just couldn`t grasp it. It`s the same with organized religion. They might as well rip the new testament out of their bible and just live by the old testament alone.
Awesome post....when one focuses on the physical aspects of the law (performance of them) one totally misses the spiritual freedom that we have now IN CHRIST!! I am still amazed that there are people who think they can be justified and made righteous by following the physical laws....when we were told that NO ONE will ever be or can be justified by them. I will just continue to live IN CHRIST and live in freedom!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Florida
564 posts, read 596,670 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I see contradiction!!! If he was SHOWING us the way to the father, then isn't it possible that NOT breaking the commandments was what he was showing us?? And also, If we were following in his footsteps and he never misses the mark, then how can ever follow in his footsteps if it is impossible for us to hit the mark??
Jesus did not just SHOW us the way to the Father, He is the only way to the Father. Jesus fulfilled the Law and we are to follow his example and uphold the Law. Not because it saves us. Because we know the Perfect Law God gave is good for us, so this in itself professes God is good. Now we cannot do this alone, as we know, so Jesus said, I will never leave you, nor forsake you. He is the only One who can help us to uphold the Law, not miss the mark and this also glorifies God by His Spirit working in us.
Jesus has hit the mark for us, however we have not attained salvation yet, God is working out our salvation, so as Jesus said, remain in me and I will remain in you. Running the Race. Fighting the Good fight. Also Jesus brought us back to reconciliation with God, instead of separation from God. We are being made into the image we had in the beginning before sin. But if we do not heed the instruction book that is good, perfect, from God, then we do not believe what God has said and done is true.
Also the only scripture I saw on missing the mark was Romans 3:16 and this is unbelievers and the marking of their ways. Is there more in the OT? I have heard of this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Prattville, Alabama
4,881 posts, read 4,825,377 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
Jesus did not just SHOW us the way to the Father, He is the only way to the Father. Jesus fulfilled the Law and we are to follow his example and uphold the Law.
That is correct...when we live IN CHRIST....we deny self and follow in his footsteps....walking in the Spirit and not in the flesh....which conforms us to the image of GOD....the image we were created in. Jesus did show us how to do this....we just have to follow his example.

What did Jesus say were the two commandments that fulfilled the entire law and the prophets?

Hint....it is LOVE....LOVE GOD with all of your heart, soul and mind and LOVE your neighbor as yourself. These are the laws that are written on our hearts....live these and you have life....the life Jesus died to give you...the life you can have if you live IN CHRIST!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 01:41 PM
 
988 posts, read 1,499,827 times
Reputation: 116
Quote:
I'm getting the impression, based on some of the posts that I've read, that people really do not understand fully what it means to be IN CHRIST.
What a coincidence... I was thinking the very same thing. It is easy to see who understands and who does not. Those who do not understand keep giving their own opinions and those who do understand quote the Scriptures.

For example I quoted the appropriate Scriptures concerning "in Christ":


Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are IN CHRIST Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.


1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth IN HIM ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.


And Christy gives her personal opinion:


"If you truly understood what it meant to live IN CHRIST, you wouldn't be dwelling so much on commandment keeping and a works based performance before God."


Since it was Jesus who told us that we must keep the commandments to have eternal life, one can only wonder to whom Christy is listening ....


HK (Listening to Jesus)

Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

He saith unto him, Which?

Jesus said,

Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 02:38 PM
 
Location: RV Park
7,517 posts, read 10,939,321 times
Reputation: 4412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kupp View Post
What a coincidence... I was thinking the very same thing. It is easy to see who understands and who does not. Those who do not understand keep giving their own opinions and those who do understand quote the Scriptures.

For example I quoted the appropriate Scriptures concerning "in Christ":


Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are IN CHRIST Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.


1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth IN HIM ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.


And Christy gives her personal opinion:


"If you truly understood what it meant to live IN CHRIST, you wouldn't be dwelling so much on commandment keeping and a works based performance before God."


Since it was Jesus who told us that we must keep the commandments to have eternal life, one can only wonder to whom Christy is listening ....


HK (Listening to Jesus)

Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

He saith unto him, Which?

Jesus said,

Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
In order to come to Christ, one must confess his/her need - correct? Do you still need Him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 02:49 PM
 
3,225 posts, read 188,516 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
Jesus did not just SHOW us the way to the Father, He is the only way to the Father. Jesus fulfilled the Law and we are to follow his example and uphold the Law. Not because it saves us. Because we know the Perfect Law God gave is good for us, so this in itself professes God is good. Now we cannot do this alone, as we know, so Jesus said, I will never leave you, nor forsake you. He is the only One who can help us to uphold the Law, not miss the mark and this also glorifies God by His Spirit working in us.
Jesus has hit the mark for us, however we have not attained salvation yet, God is working out our salvation, so as Jesus said, remain in me and I will remain in you. Running the Race. Fighting the Good fight. Also Jesus brought us back to reconciliation with God, instead of separation from God. We are being made into the image we had in the beginning before sin. But if we do not heed the instruction book that is good, perfect, from God, then we do not believe what God has said and done is true.
Also the only scripture I saw on missing the mark was Romans 3:16 and this is unbelievers and the marking of their ways. Is there more in the OT? I have heard of this before.
I agree with most of what you say -- the main thing I disagree with is the bold red bit.

I believe that God is creating us in his image --- In Corinthians it says first is the natural, second the spiritual ---- First, Adam, earthly ---- Second, Jesus, the quickening spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top