Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,907 times

Advertisements

What does this verse mean to you?

2 Tim. 3:5
Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

For myself, this verse is deep. It goes to the very heart of people who call themselves Christian, but refuse to act in accord to the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:11 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post

For myself, this verse is deep. It goes to the very heart of people who call themselves Christian, but refuse to act in accord to the teachings of Jesus Christ.
I agree these were pharisees, false teachers who are concerned more with mere external appearance. These are the goats in the church who have an outward "form" of Christianity and virtues that only makes them dangerous in the church. We must turn away from or avoid these men.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:13 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:

Greetings Hot...It is no surprise that this affects you as deeply as it does...it is crucial that we understand it.

What this verse...(actually from 1 to 13), means to me is...

...God is going to have a people...and these people will be holy...totally comitted...empowered with His new strength deep in their inner man.

We are entering into a very volatile period of time. On the one hand, apostacy is beginning to fester deep in the hearts of some...causing many people to be lukewarm, uncommitted Christians. On the other, God is about to loose a great personal revival of His Spirit into the hearts of those willing to be totally His.
We are called, just as John the Baptist was, to pave the way for the Son of God to come...through revelation and spiritual warfare.

Remember that, although Jesus has won the keys of hell and death away from the devil, the complete fulfillment of all He won still has to be manifested on this earth. Remember that He now sits at the right hand of God until His enemies should be made a stool beneath His feet. This is the work that God left to His people of war to accomplish.

God is about to build you up in Him and endow you with power, counsel and knowledge of His Son to equip you to take back by force what Satan has stolen from the Kingdom of God!

Praise God!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
I have a great example. I grew up in a very religious church where a lot of the women were starch hard core Bible fanatics. They preached the letter of the law, but did not follow it. They were regular church goers, but many were involved in fornication and adultery. They testified of God's salvation in their life, but they were mean and did not show love one for another. They appeared to be very godly on the one hand, but denied HIS power to truly work in their lives.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:45 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,543 times
Quote:

The power in living the christian life is of God and not of us.

Application of quoted verse towards current day apostasy:

Promise Keepers: They have a form of godliness, but denying the power being of God as they are taking His Covenant and putting it in their mouths by making those seven promises to keep.

The second book in the series of the Promise Keepers' program is called : "The Power of a Promise Kept".

So these men have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof.

Romans 10: 2For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. 5For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.

John 2:24But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men, 25And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

John 1: 12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Galatians 3: 1O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Galatians 2:20I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Galatians 5: 1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

2 Corinthians 3:4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: 5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; 6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

John 6: 28Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Philippians 1: 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: ...9And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Psalm 118:8It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.

Psalm 100: 3Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

That is why it is written that the just shall live by faith... in Jesus Christ.

Believers in the Pormise Keepers' program need Jesus to set them free from those seven promises to rest in Him and His Covenant to us that He will help them to be good husbands and good fathers by the grace of God... thereby being witnesses of their faith in Jesus Christ and not with the mighty men and nobles of the world by the deeds of the law.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:16 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
A form of Godliness, but deny the power of The Holy Spirit. If you want to reject that Than Stop Sinning, Tell the devil I will not sin. Tell the Lord God, were Do I sin against you. Then stop sin. Repent from a sin and refuse to do that no matter what. When the devil put it back on you table Repent again and ask for redemption from this sin, when the devil put it back on your table. Go to the Lord God and ask and pray`` Do I need to repent again and again, Give me deliverances from this so the devil will flee from here for that. Pray deliverances prayers the ways Lord God will lead you In all you will be asking the Lord , You will be seeking the Lord and the more you prayer you will be knock on Heaven door and your persistence will move Jesus to go and clean you and your feet for your walk with him. The more you get cleaned by Jesus and Know the wiles of the devil, Then Pray for others to clean them Do they say``Blessed are thoughs that help others For The Lord God will help them``or Blessed them who give a man a drink of water for they will give that drink to me``That water is prayer of living waters for others to be cleaned. The more the walk for a renewed mind and works of Christ will be Victorious All the Glory to The Lord God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity