Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:30 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times

Advertisements

Is God's Persuasion greater than mans ability to not be persuaded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 06:36 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
I wonder how Paul would have answered after what had happened to him on his way to Damascus?

Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
I wonder how Paul would have answered after what had happened to him on his way to Damascus?

Old 01-19-2010, 06:58 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Well Paul used his own free will didn't he? I mean one moment he was on his way to happily kill some more Christians, and the next moment, he decided, nah, I'm going to accept Christ as my personal savior! What a switch!

I mean the fact that the Lord appeared to him with a booming voice never had anything to do with it I'm sure. And the fact that he fell to the ground trembling, wouldn't have affected his decision in the least. And the fact that he was BLIND for 3 days afterwards never influenced him at all.

It was all Paul's free will! Paul was saved by a free will choice! Isn't that how it works? Good decision Paul!

Please forgive me I jest.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Well Paul used his own free will didn't he? I mean one moment he was on his way to happily kill some more Christians, and the next moment, he decided, nah, I'm going to accept Christ as my personal savior! What a switch!

I mean the fact that the Lord appeared to him with a booming voice never had anything to do with it I'm sure. And the fact that he fell to the ground trembling, wouldn't have affected his decision in the least. And the fact that he was BLIND for 3 days afterwards never influenced him at all.

It was all Paul's free will! Paul was saved by a free will choice! Isn't that how it works? Good decision Paul!

Please forgive me I jest.
You really think all that was persuasion? Maybe Paul was an exception?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
So far in my poll here, surprisingly, 100% of people (so far) believe God desires to save all men. So I'm guessing alot of people think man's stubbornness will exceed God's persuasion powers to save all men, since most people don't believe all men will be saved.

But lets see what scripture says:

Romans 9:19 One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?"

Job 23:13 "But he stands alone, and who can oppose him?
He does whatever he pleases.

Isaiah 55:11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

God does whatever He pleases and accomplishes what He desires.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
So far in my poll here, surprisingly, 100% of people (so far) believe God desires to save all men. So I'm guessing alot of people think man's stubbornness will exceed God's persuasion powers to save all men, since most people don't believe all men will be saved.
That is exactly what that would mean.

Quote:

Romans 9:19 One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?"

They apparently don't read or understand those verses. They think someone can oppose God via their own will.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 PM

It really comes down to this:

God says - I'm going to save all of you.
Wicked man says - I'm going to ensure you don't save me.

Look in this forum and see how many are preaching that the mightier power here is the wicked man.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:25 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,543 times
Quote:

Since no man can come to the Son unless the Father draws him, why isn't that happening to all who hear the Gospel if He desires all to be saved?

This is why.

John 3:16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

So they loved the darkness rather than come to the light. They do not want to be reproved of their evil deeds.

Why not return the rich man from the grave to warn others of what is to come? Have you considered that? Why would the rich man want to warn anyone if eventually all will be saved anyway?

Luke 16: 24And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

What?!! There is no coming out of there?!!

Luke 16: 27Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Is evil bent on doing wickedness? What examples in life that would suggest that if sinners were let out of hell, they would repent of their evil deeds? Convicted child molestors out on parole and yet they are at it again. It is a poor analogy, but it goes to showing why the evil man did not ask first to be sent to warn others because he knew he could not get out... for after death, comes judgment.

I have heard a few references of those having died, went to hell, but brought back to life. I wonder where they are today? Thanking God or...?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Since no man can come to the Son unless the Father draws him, why isn't that happening to all who hear the Gospel if He desires all to be saved?

This is why.

John 3:16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

So they loved the darkness rather than come to the light. They do not want to be reproved of their evil deeds.

Why not return the rich man from the grave to warn others of what is to come? Have you considered that? Why would the rich man want to warn anyone if eventually all will be saved anyway?

Luke 16: 24And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

What?!! There is no coming out of there?!!

Luke 16: 27Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Is evil bent on doing wickedness? What examples in life that would suggest that if sinners were let out of hell, they would repent of their evil deeds? Convicted child molestors out on parole and yet they are at it again. It is a poor analogy, but it goes to showing why the evil man did not ask first to be sent to warn others because he knew he could not get out... for after death, comes judgment.

I have heard a few references of those having died, went to hell, but brought back to life. I wonder where they are today? Thanking God or...?
So you believe the lure of the darkness that men love is more powerful than God's ability to draw men to the light of Jesus?

Darkness is more powerful than light?

I sure hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity