Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 03:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

They are no more dangerous than anyone else really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 04:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
They are no more dangerous than anyone else really.
Recently, the Southern Poverty Law Center has designated several Christian groups as hate groups including American Family Association, Family Research Council, Abiding Truth Ministries, American Vision, Chalcedon Foundation, Dove World Outreach Center, and Traditional Values Coalition.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:44 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Recently, the Southern Poverty Law Center has designated several Christian groups as hate groups including American Family Association, Family Research Council, Abiding Truth Ministries, American Vision, Chalcedon Foundation, Dove World Outreach Center, and Traditional Values Coalition.
Oh this is too funny, must share:
No TLC for SPLC: Tolerance Law Center Names Hate Groups | Advancing Religious Liberty
Quote:
First, I’m going to condemn some actual hate groups — violence-soaked, terroristic cauldrons of malice who commit unspeakable acts of violence — and call them out for their crimes. So, as the first official act of the TLC, it hereby condemns Hamas, Hezbollah, the Taliban, and al Qaeda for horrifying atrocities committed in the name of Islam. Tens of thousands of innocent men, women, and children have been victimized by their decades-long reigns of terror.
Next, with that out of the way, I’m going to find a domestic activist organization that I disagree with, accuse them of “repeated, groundless name-calling” and then classify them the exact same way that I classify actual terrorists.
Let’s see . . . who has recently engaged in “repeated, groundless name-calling” against fellow citizens?
Oh wait! The SPLC! They’ve classified organizations who do nothing more than speak passionately in support of biblical truth as hate groups — right alongside actual domestic terrorists who’ve killed people. That sounds like “groundless name-calling” to me.
And oh wait, there's more: Gainesville Church Named A Hate Group - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/26013934/detail.html - broken link)
Quote:
The Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center said Pastor Terry Jones, who leads the Dove World Outreach Center is, "completely over the top."

Pastor Terry Jones gave Channel 4 a statement replying to this new development."It's totally inaccurate and wrong. We have spoken out about certain issues such as homosexuality. Just because we speak out on those issues, it doesn't mean it's a hate group. It would be a hate group if we were promoting violence against those people. We don't hate them we love them; just as God loves everyone. But their lifestyle is not correct, as the Bible says, and we are obligated as pastors to speak out on that issue. By no means do I wish homosexuals, Muslims, or any other group we have spoken out on, harm," said Jones.
Irony alert – Family Research Council accuses SPLC of “cherry-picking” science « SpeakEasy (http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/12/07/irony-alert-family-research-council-accuses-splc-of-cherry-picking-science/ - broken link)
Quote:
The Family Research Council and Concerned Women for America say the studies SPLC cites in its reports suffer from serious methodological errors and politically motivated biases.
I think this is more political than philosophical, but then there is (Plato) political philosophy.

I'm wondering if MLK were alive to day, would he support the SPLC and would he be impressed he had been selected as a model spokesperson?

I'm always concerned when there is some one out there pointing the finger at some one else. I go into auto suspect mode.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:38 PM

99,584 posts, read 4,492,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I think that the Christian fundamentalists in GENERAL are Christianity's form of the Taliban. I want nothing to do with them and I want them exposed for what they are. They promote hate in general, hate against women, gay people, racism, bigotry, violence, etc., all in the name of God. I've been a Christian for 47 + years, but this brand of "Christianity" is a blight on everyone. They can go jump off a rolling doughnut for all I care.

And yes, they do discourage others from joining Christianity. They also like to re-write history and say that America was founded as a Christian nation. As much as they would like to make us believe that's true, it simply isn't. There needs to be separation between church and state, something that they refuse to admit is true.

They also like to re-write the bible for their own agenda by taking verses out of context and perverting their meaning. Bottom line is that they are dangerous and should be exposed for what they are: liars and hypocrites. The end.
Exactly!

Old 12-11-2010, 12:15 AM

200 posts, read 252,403 times
I would think snake handlers would be the most dangerous religion. For obvious reasons.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
I think that the Christian fundamentalists in GENERAL are Christianity's form of the Taliban. I want nothing to do with them and I want them exposed for what they are. They promote hate in general, hate against women, gay people, racism, bigotry, violence, etc., all in the name of God. I've been a Christian for 47 + years, but this brand of "Christianity" is a blight on everyone. They can go jump off a rolling doughnut for all I care.

And yes, they do discourage others from joining Christianity. They also like to re-write history and say that America was founded as a Christian nation. As much as they would like to make us believe that's true, it simply isn't. There needs to be separation between church and state, something that they refuse to admit is true.

They also like to re-write the bible for their own agenda by taking verses out of context and perverting their meaning. Bottom line is that they are dangerous and should be exposed for what they are: liars and hypocrites. The end.
I also feel compelled to rep you because your words ring exactly true. There are some so-called Christians who absolutely frighten me in their hate and distortion of Christianity. The religious Right in particular are extremely dangerous and have beliefs that go counter to the American constitution. But as a catholic I also have major issues with my own church and have been very very upset over the sexual abuse of children that coincides with a scary homophobia suggesting a sick mindset in the priesthood.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 AM

392 posts, read 559,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, I have never understood the rationale behind people calling every group they don't like a "cult." I've got to tell you that for every Baptist who has been civil to me, there have been a dozen who have told me I'm going to Hell because I don't believe as they do. So, generally speaking, Baptists are not exactly my favorite group of people. But would I call them a "cult"? No way. It just doesn't make sense to throw out that label any time we don't like someone. Jim Jones and the People's Temple -- now that was a cult. Let's use the word a little more sparingly.
It is obvious fundamentalists are a cult; just look at the 20/20 specials. Setting that aside, look at the church movements in general; the majority of them are cults, promoting the so called American dream, instead of telling people the truth. Hey folks, Jesus is not coming to rapture anyone from tribulation. If you have not noticed it is here already. That is a lie of the devil and most Fundamental American churches. No he is not coming to deliver the saints from Satan's presecution nor from witnessing the entire destruction of America (Babylon the Harlot); my friends we have front row center seats for these events coming upon us now. No one is going to fly to heaven ever with Jesus.

The false prophets of Babylon have prophecied falsely saying thus says the Lord and the Lord has not said. Jesus never said He was taking us out of tribulation in some secret, hidden pre-trib rapture. Nowhere do we see that in scripture. We see the opposite.

Surely not all baptist churches are cults, most certainly the mega church fundamentalists are though. They contain in them, lies, deception, tyrany, false doctrine, ecpecially with the return of CHrist. They have lead people astray. They will continue telling them Jesus is coming to save them from tribulation and that everyone still has a shot at the American or Babylonian dream. People will suck it up and think they are ok. Unfortunately these blind guides will guide many to destruction as they wait for Jesus to save them, only to find that the anti-christ will become their false messiah. God will send many strong delusion for not receiving the love of the truth before hand.

Oh and don't think the Roman Catholic church will not play a major roll in the end times. It is going to become the center of the false prophets power and a world wide false religion. Just look at the priests that molest little boys, never marry, and wear Babylonian garments while claiming to worship Jesus. Jesus says a pastor Bishop, or overseer of a church is supposed to be married not unmarried. Catholic Doctrine starts off anti-God from the onset. Now they want to make Pope John Paul a saint so RC church members can pray to the Pope. Hey my bible forbids the praying to anyone but God himself. My bible tells me that all the have accepted Christ as Savior are saints. One becomes a saint by God's devine appointment when one believes in CHrist and repents. A church can not make anyone a saint. Nor can anyone ever become a saint by man's appointment or after one is dead. Sorry, if Pope John Paul was not a saint when he died, man can not appoint him sainthood once he has been dead for 6 years. What a joke. So many scripturally ignorant RC's eat this garbage doctrine up like candy, because they do not know the bible.

Last edited by Gideon7620; 05-01-2011 at 07:55 AM..

Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 AM

392 posts, read 559,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Exactly!
I agree and would not be surprised if political anti-christ arises from this movement. We know the false prophet will most like be the pope or a pope of Rome.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
It is obvious fundamentalists are a cult;.
Why don't we just rename the 'Christianity' board to 'Anti-Christianity' board.

Why? Because there are more threads and posts slamming Christianity than supporting it.

What a shame.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:25 AM

889 posts, read 825,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemansaves View Post
Before I get into my post , I want to say that this question is directed at the fundie baptist movement as a whole , not every individual fundie baptist. I so know some good men within the fundie baptist movement. Now I will explain why I asked the question.

When I first started getting deeper into christianity , I was absolutely shocked by the amount of infighting that goes on in the christian world. Even the loudest worldly cliques don't slander each other the way christian groups slander each other.

And usually , not always , but usually when there is a public attack on christians from other christians , its the fundie baptists behind it. I hate to stereotype , but it seems that in almost all these situations , its the fundie baptists saying awful things about other christians. And this is usually done over really stupid issues such as a demand that women don't wear pants , men don't wear shorts , and no one listens to christian rock.

When the unsaved public sees this , they are discouraged from comming to christianity because they feel we act worse than they do. Many will never be saved because of the public actions and heresies of the fundie baptist movement. And this is why I think they are the most dangerous movement in america for christians. But I welcome any thoughts.
No, they are not. The most dangerous are secularly corrupted liberal luke-warm Catholics and the priests and bishops who lead them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity