Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 AM

218 posts, read 397,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
As stated above, you should follow His lead in this matter. You should not assume that God is leading everyone to the same conclusion regarding music. I have never been convicted of enjoying music. Maybe I never crossed the line, maybe it isn't a problem for me, maybe God has got more important things for me to work on. In the mean time, I'll enjoy singing off key in the shower and with the car radio.
And just how much time did you give to this matter before you so quickly determined that I should be the one to follow His lead? I've had 45 yrs to think it over and determine things and God has greatly blessed me in this matter.

It is not music that you should be convicted about...it is evil or corrupted music that you should be convicted about.

May Jesus Christ be honored in all things.

Best wishes.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,256 times
Back in the old days, any type of rock was considered the Devil's music, yet people continued to listen to it.

Christians found a way to exploit this so hence Christian rock was born. Used to entice the younger generations as rock is such a popular genre with those said younger crowd.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
It's not what you see or hear that matters. It's what you do and say. It dosn't matter what kind of music you listen to, it's what you do with it in the end.

I've jumped around music genres my whole life. What I like best is instrumental and rock. It doesn't mean I'm not getting into heaven, it means my taste is different than others. God loves all kinds of music be it rap, country, rock or christian rock. Musical talent is a gift and I believe everyone should be proud of those gifts and share them with others. It's only up to ourselves whose gift we want to listen to.

Just sit back and enjoy life. Stop thinking you know all of the answers of God. You'll be surprised what He truely likes once you get to heaven and ask Him yourself. We are His children and He likes everything about us, including the dark music. If you don't like it, let it go and move on.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Back in the old days, any type of rock was considered the Devil's music, yet people continued to listen to it.

Christians found a way to exploit this so hence Christian rock was born. Used to entice the younger generations as rock is such a popular genre with those said younger crowd.
and that's the problem. Only the gospel should be used to draw people nothing else. In my opinion these movements have done more harm than good by creating many false converts who are now calling themselves atheists.

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 02-02-2010 at 10:04 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post

That's pretty close. Elvis knew he was sinning in his music but did it anyway and encouraged millions to follow his example. Jerry Lee Lewis KNEW that his music was the devils music and he admitted it publicly. Music that hits you in gut (or perhaps, the crotch) rather than the heart should be avoided by believers.

They should not have exploited it. They should have exposed it and pointed people to a better music...(ex: sort of like the kind I mentioned above and much more like it).

Best wishes. Have a great day.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 AM

303 posts, read 569,848 times
I think the better thing to look at is whether or not christian rock really leads to slavation ( sorry I meant salvation ) or is it just another empty christian cultural fad like so many that come around
I can teach a parrot to recite scripture and then put it to music

Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,568,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemansaves View Post
Also I'd ask that you guys not post his quotes. I have him on ignore for a reason
Why would you ignore a fellow brother or sister in Christ? That is a worldly option in this forum to be used on world people not our own. I heard someone say that we better start loving our brothers and sisters now because we will be spending eternity together.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It's not what you see or hear that matters. It's what you do and say. It dosn't matter what kind of music you listen to, it's what you do with it in the end.

That's like saying, "It doesn't matter what kind of books or magazines you read, it only matters what you do with it. Well, with that kind of reasoning then just sit down and read Playboy, Penthouse, Swank, or the kind of low-grade garbage that Ted Bundy & others like him feasted their minds on...but then just make sure you keep your thoughts clean and
on just make sure you keep your mind clean and on the right thing...and you will be perfectly all right." Right?

It DOES matter and the Lord said so. That is why He gave us the
biblical passages encouraging good music to begin with.

I've jumped around music genres my whole life. What I like best is instrumental and rock.

That is personal preference, but not the result of the Holy Spirits leading.

It doesn't mean I'm not getting into heaven, it means my taste is different than others.

I didn't say you're not going to heaven. The problem is you are going by personal taste instead of what pleases God.

God loves all kinds of music be it rap, country, rock or christian rock.

No, he doesn't. For starters, He hates voodoo music which pagan witchdoctors use to bring up devils for possession. Countless rock groups use that style or similar styles to pump up their fans into a frenzy in rock concerts. It works.

Musical talent is a gift and I believe everyone should be proud of those gifts and share them with others. It's only up to ourselves whose gift we want to listen to.

Pride, according to God's Word, is sin. You need to consider what scripture has to say about it.

Just sit back and enjoy life. Stop thinking you know all of the answers of God. You'll be surprised what He truely likes once you get to heaven and ask Him yourself. We are His children and He likes everything about us, including the dark music. If you don't like it, let it go and move on.
I am enjoying life...but not with music that is corrupted by Satan and his devils.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Kirkwhisper; 02-02-2010 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemansaves View Post
I actually had a guy in another thread tell me that there was no way christ would use rock music to reach people.

Now , I won't even get into what his ridiculous arguments against christian rock were , but ill just ask , is that statement a blasphemy against the holy spirit? And if not , does it come pretty darn close?

If you are against christian rock , fine. But it just seems to me like a statement like that is knowingly denying what the lord has done thru christian rock , or being so against christian rock , that you refuse to accept that the lord works through it. Either way , it seems like blasphemy of the holy ghost to me. Moderator cut: Deleted as inappropriate So guys , blasphemy of the holy ghost or just darn close?
No it's not even close to "Blasphemy of the HOLY SPIRIT" that is when
a person speaks against the 9 Spiritual Gifts of the HOLY SPIRIT and the
work of the HOLY SPIRIT Which Is The Gift Of SALVATION.....

Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
4. The Holy Spirit does that. He does not tell one Christian one thing and another something different. But for most believers I know they go by what they like and not what He tries to tell them in their choice of music. It is a strong prejudice that is determined by personal likes or dislikes in the taste of music and its very hard for belivievers to surrender to that which truly pleases God.

Don't get the impression that I listen only to old fashioned hymns of the faith. I enjoy Tim Janis, Giovanni, and musical themes by Barry Goldsmith quite a lot. Most of it is quite uplifting as well as beautiful but far removed from the junk food found in rock & pop.
Good luck with living someone elses convictions!! As as stated, I've known people who are convicted of wearing shorts, going to movies, listening to ANY music outside of church, drinking wine with dinner, participating in secular clubs or organizations, watching TV, etc. No, I'm not talking about personal preference, I'm talking about God dealing with each of us as individuals and responding accordingly.

Yes, I have musical preferences but I've never been convicted about any of those preferences.

I don't intentionally ingest alcohol. It's personal preference. I know someone else who doesn't drink but it's because God has dealt with them regarding that issue. See the difference? I could have a glass of wine with dinner and be fine with that. The other person would be sinning because God has told them not to drink.

I can wear shorts with no conviction, the other woman I spoke of could not.

My FIL won't go to movie theaters, it's more than a personal preference. I prefer not to go because they are loud and cost too much. He won't go because of a personal conviction.

I have an Aunt who never married because she wanted to dedicate herself to church work (no, she's not a nun). This was God's plan for her. I got married, that was God's plan for me.

Hmmm...seems God does tell some people one thing and some people another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity