Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:26 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,818,241 times

Advertisements

I have to say I am getting very tired and turned off by organized religion. I do consider myself a Christian, I believe that Jesus died to save us from our sins, and I pray regularly. I am currently Catholic, but I have been to just about every kind of Christian church. I realized that I just don't care for organized church and how all of them seem to revolve around money. Its all about tithing and giving money, or you're looked down on as being some sort of inferior Christian. All the while I see how much money is spent and wasted on unneccessary material things, and I wonder what is the point? Personally I feel closer to God by taking a walk through the woods or spending time with my children than by sitting in a pew listening to some guy in a collar telling me why I should give them more money....

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 02-12-2010 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 08:20 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,505,098 times
When I finally got it through my head that "organized " religion was the works of man, not God I turned away from it and turned to God..

I have the peace of knowing that Christ is the head of his church and that He will place us where He desires us to do His work..Some are in organized religions, some are elsewhere according to the gifts they are blessed with..

Despite what "organized religion" wants us to believe, I have confidence that His Church is alive and well and that it continues to grow..

Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I have to say I am getting very tired and turned off by organized religion. I do consider myself a Christian, I believe that Jesus died to save us from our sins, and I pray regularly. I am currently Catholic, but I have been to just about every kind of Christian church. I realized that I just don't care for organized church and how all of them seem to revolve around money. Its all about tithing and giving money, or you're looked down on as being some sort of inferior Christian. All the while I see how much money is spent and wasted on unneccessary material things, and I wonder what is the point? Personally I feel closer to God by taking a walk through the woods or spending time with my children than by sitting in a pew listening to some guy in a collar telling me why I should give them more money....
I could accept your frustration with organized religion but to base it on money really does not compute and frankly is an unfair assessment of organized religion.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:09 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
A group of Christians can meet, fellowship together, study and worship together; everyone will enjoy themselves and enjoy it.

However once you add money; it becomes a business and it soon falls apart.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:49 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,109 times
No. I'm not sure what sort of minister would do that and why a congregation would tolerate it (the financial affairs of the church should not be his business).

Old 02-13-2010, 07:56 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Where I attend 'church' the clergy are not on salary. Ministers are who they 'are' it is not their profession.

To take a salary makes them an hireling.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:06 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
To be honest my conflict was that i was under it's clutches not so much by being involved in it but by being part of it but being mentally conditioned by it without being aware of it. But thank the Lord He opened my eyes to it and began to set me free from it, even to this day.
At first when he opened my eyes to the bondage i was in , i was deeply deeply upset and in regret and remorse , until He made clear to me He meant it for my God and still used it to do a work in my heart.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,489,469 times
And your saying that 1 Corinthians 16:1-3 isn't a organized religion, but a lot people doing their own thing? .....hardly.

"Now about the collection for God's people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. Then, when I arrive, I will give letters of introduction to the men you approve and send them with your gift to Jerusalem."

Old 02-13-2010, 09:04 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times
I was part of "organized religion" until the pastor told our group that the Assembly was the authority on doctrine and pursuing revelation directly from God was basically forbidden. The pastor was the authority on seeking Him, in other words.

(Our Sunday school class also met Wednesday night, where we would engage in intense worship and body ministry; the rest of the church perceived it as a threat, as through our worship we came to see the total authority and lordship of God - and the complete restoration of creation through the work of the Cross.

Basically, our God became too big for them.)

Old 02-13-2010, 09:44 AM

8,168 posts, read 6,921,471 times
go phillies...
Good for you.

Quote:
Personally I feel closer to God by taking a walk through the woods or spending time with my children..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity