Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

I was raised Catholic. I still consider myself one. I don't go to church all the time, as some of the parishes nearby seem kind of inbred and I don't feel like working through all that to get involved. But, never mind that.

I'm starting to get really annoyed at the constant interpretation of the Bible and how that, with absolutely "certainty," will tell how your life and afterlife will shake out. I am not perfect, but not horrible, either, so I don't feel like worrying about everything I say and think as to how it will affect my "judgment." If that were the case, most of us would be going to hell. Most people who go around spouting from the Bible aren't even qualified to do so. They're not Biblical scholars and the Bible can be very metaphorical. I think that will all my religious schooling and mandatory theology courses, I have a good idea what the general message is.

Nope, not switching to Protestantism or any evangelical form of Christianity. Some of them are even more "doom and gloom" than the Catholics. Not interested in Judaism, Mormonism, Bhuddism or other religions.

So, then, are any of you to the point where you just want to go about the business of living and quit worrying about and over-analyzing religion and scriptures? I think I've gotten to that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I was raised Catholic. I still consider myself one. I don't go to church all the time, as some of the parishes nearby seem kind of inbred and I don't feel like working through all that to get involved. But, never mind that.

I'm starting to get really annoyed at the constant interpretation of the Bible and how that, with absolutely "certainty," will tell how your life and afterlife will shake out. I am not perfect, but not horrible, either, so I don't feel like worrying about everything I say and think as to how it will affect my "judgment." If that were the case, most of us would be going to hell. Most people who go around spouting from the Bible aren't even qualified to do so. They're not Biblical scholars and the Bible can be very metaphorical. I think that will all my religious schooling and mandatory theology courses, I have a good idea what the general message is.

Nope, not switching to Protestantism or any evangelical form of Christianity. Some of them are even more "doom and gloom" than the Catholics. Not interested in Judaism, Mormonism, Bhuddism or other religions.

So, then, are any of you to the point where you just want to go about the business of living and quit worrying about and over-analyzing religion and scriptures? I think I've gotten to that point.
Can you handle going to mass once a week? No one is going to bother you or proselytize. Use Catholicism as philosophy as as your family history.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Can you handle going to mass once a week? No one is going to bother you or proselytize. Use Catholicism as philosophy as as your family history.
Probably a reflection of "my moodiness needs to get better" status. Not funny, I know. I actually went to an Italian dinner put on by another altogether different parish and they seem less stuffy. Church isn't supposed to be morose. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Probably a reflection of "my moodiness needs to get better" status. Not funny, I know. I actually went to an Italian dinner put on by another altogether different parish and they seem less stuffy. Church isn't supposed to be morose. Thanks.
What I always like about Catholicism is that we are cool about it. You need a liberal parish and there you can meet a nice girl, get married, and live happy for the rest of your days.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
you are about to be free to worship God in spirit and truth. when i stopped going to church i began to finally walk with God. I did not have to worry about what people would say, how it would look, etc..
knowing that God is with you every step of the way is great. I know i was called to come out of the religious system. Now, the funny thing is that i spend more time speaking to church goers about God than i do to those not in the church system. Many in the church dont want to be there but dont know where to turn. there is a site iamtiredofchurch . com that is a pretty intresting site. not really much on there but it is a place for those sick of religion. It is about learning how to let God love you.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Matthew 13

3And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

4And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

5Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

6And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

7And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

8But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

9Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

18Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.

19When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

20But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;

21Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

22He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

23But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Which one do you think is applicable to you?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:59 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Yes. Got to that point a long time ago. It can be a huge waste of time and energy.

And which of you by taking thought, can add to his stature by one cubit?
- Matthew 6:27

Old 02-21-2012, 03:47 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Yes. Got to that point a long time ago. It can be a huge waste of time and energy.
I got to that point quite a while ago myself, but my response was not to throw out the baby with the bath water. It was to use my religious beliefs to find peace within myself and not spend too much time worrying about what other people think. There are always going to be issues I can't resolve, and there are always going to be many ways of looking at the same question. To me, it's all about using what I believe to live my life with integrity.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
John 4:23,24

Jesusu said, The Father Himself Is Seeking True Worshipers.

So my desire is to be a True Worshiper of God.

That is, when I Worship God In Spirit and In Truth.
He finds me.

For God is Spirit and must be worship In Spirit and In Truth.

'traditions of the fathers', 'customs', 'commandments of men',
'false brethern', 'false apostles', 'false prophets'
and 'hirelings', are proved.

I tire of the honor among men, to find God for me
in the multitude of their traditions and customs
proving who they are to God.

When He finds me, worshiping Him in spirit and truth.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
I was raised Catholic. I am the product of 12 years of Catholic education, K through 12. I grew to hate the churches themselves, filled as they were with the symbols of torture and death. Thus began my decades long meandering in search of spiritual meaning.

My reading and reflection of the last 40 years have led me to where I am today, and while I do not believe I have a final answer, I do believe that the way has been revealed to me.

At the risk of offending many Christians, I think that it is true that many spend too much time doing the very things Jesus criticized, overemphasizing the literal to be found in the law, and entirely missing the spirit.

Now, nearing the end of my own life, I believe I have found my own way, the way God and Jesus have shown me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity