Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:05 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
If Jesus never rose from the dead then Christianity is a farce
Not trying to be picky but it's our faith which would be futile and not christianity ,you know what i think about about christianity .

And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins.

Infact we would be no different to the OT worshipper whose conscience was never clear from guilt because if Jesus had not risen, his blood would be no different to that of the blood of bulls and goats

Last edited by pcamps; 03-07-2010 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:09 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I've thought about this before and the answer for me personally is no. It would not make me lose my faith. It would make some things a little more difficult for me as far as certain things go about death and other major things that I believe. However, it would not in any way make me lose faith in God. There has been far too many wondrous things, and changes within my heart and my mind and spirit and just my whole being amongst other things....that it wouldn't make me lose faith.

I would just accept that things aren't quite as I had thought they were and I would do more seeking and ask God to help bring me to truth. I'd pray for God to prepare my heart and lead me. So while I do believe that Jesus was ressurrected, and that it does play a HUGE role in my faith... if somehow it came to light that this did not happen, it would shake me, yes. But I would figure God has a reason and will take my hand and help me climb over that mountain. It would not make me lose faith. It just wouldn't. I know. He has taken me over other mountains and I know He would be faithful to take my hand once again...

peace.
I am with sparrow on this what if question, I like his thoughts and reasoning.
I have also seen this question before and most will say they would stop believing.
I just could not see myself throwing everything out the window over one item, grant you it is no small item.
My thoughts would be that Jesus was ressurrected but just not in the same manor as we thought.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
Or her answer
i don't know the sex of sparrow

Old 03-07-2010, 08:29 PM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Or her answer
i don't know the sex of sparrow
It's ok... lol.
I'm a her.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:00 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Ahhh... I see.
Understood.
Thanks for explaining.
You are most welcome.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:09 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
Even if Christianity was proven to be a farce, i would not lose my faith in God ... Though i would be heartbroken as i have come to love the lord my savior ... My greatest proof that Christ is a living reality is that i in fact do have a relationship with him, though i am totally and completely and utterly undeserving of him and of his love which he has given me.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:09 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,289 times
Quote:
I am with sparrow on this what if question, .......I have also seen this question before and most will say they would stop believing.
Feel free to refer them to 1 Corinthians 15th chapter, brother.

Quote:
I just could not see myself throwing everything out the window over one item, grant you it is no small item.
Fortunately, it is not a metaphor.

Quote:
My thoughts would be that Jesus was ressurrected but just not in the same manor as we thought.
My thoughts would be that I would doubt whatever comes my way in saying that He had not risen since Paul had addressed this quite clearly the vanity of preaching christianity if He had not risen.

Mockers and scoffers would love to fabricate lies to sow doubts in the hearts and minds of believers. There really isn't anything to stop them. They do it with the evolution theory as they do it with anything in the world to sow doubts and discord.

But God gave this promise that all those that seek shall find. So I praise God in Jesus' name for that.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:12 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,761,215 times
But if you ever believe that there is evidence proving Jesus was not literally resurrected, all you would have to do is become a full preterist or a Gnostic, as they don't actually believe in the literal resurrection.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Most people say Christianity rises or falls based on the resurrection of Christ.
What if it was just a metaphor, would you lose your faith?
If it was just a metaphor there would be no need for faith. Why would you have faith in a metaphor?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:30 AM

37 posts, read 51,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Not trying to be picky but it's our faith which would be futile and not christianity ,you know what i think about about christianity .

And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins.

Infact we would be no different to the OT worshipper whose conscience was never clear from guilt because if Jesus had not risen, his blood would be no different to that of the blood of bulls and goats

the OT saints were looking to the promise of the Christ by faith, though much Isreal had missed living for the promise because they had not lived it by faith. but for the few that saw and lived the faith they were looking to the Messiah. king David and the prophet Isaiah saw that the Messiah would die for the sin of man. Jesus lived, was crucified, rose from the dead, was seen by more than 500 hundred people and was witnessed taken up into the clouds, assending into heaven. true faith is based on the fact that Jesus Christ is the risen Son of God who has taken away my sin.
true, there are many churches today who are of the liberal bent who preach against the resurrection of Jesus. they follow the teachings of a great dead teacher. their hope is in making mankind a better creature and bring the world into a loving peace. but looking around I see the world is far from peaceful. in fact the muslim religion is growing and there is an element within it that is determined to destroy anything christian. the liberals believe they can make peace with them to live side by side respecting each other. many muslims would agree to this, but not the radical element.
my faith is not based on the teaching of Jesus Christ. it is based on the truth that He is God in the flesh. He became sin on the cross and died. three days later He rose from the dead never to die again. He is now seated at the right hand of the Father and has sent the Holy Spirit to live in me, making me the new creation of 2 Cor. 5:17. I have the spirit of God now living in me, working in me to live a life that expresses the victory of Jesus Christ over this world system. I don't always live it, but that is the reality that is within me.
and really, I have come to believe that faith is not a 'belief system'. it is a 'something' that I cannot truly express, but I know that it is more than a belief. so really, I could not have this faith if Christ did not rise from the dead, because it is an essence that belongs to Him. I would just be left with a 'belief system' which would be no different than the other world religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity