Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:58 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
Either you trust the Lord to be Your Good Shepherd to lead you and guide you in the way you ought to go or you are looking to guidance and advise from the stars. Christianity and astrology do not mix.

Deuteronomy 4:19And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.

Deuteronomy 18:10There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch. 11Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. 12For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

2 Timothy 2:19Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Proverbs 3: 5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. 7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Psalm 31:1In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness. 2Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me. 3For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me. 4Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength. 5Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth. 6I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the LORD.

1 Peter 4:3For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: 4Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you: 5Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

Be a witness of your trust in the Lord to be Your Good Shepherd by not looking at astrology lest anyone should think you are doing it for more than just being curious. No believer should to be looking at it anyway.
For one thing, sounds like you're basically attacking something you really know nothing about. But apparently the very idea of it upsets you tremendously, and I'm curious why you would find it so threatening?

For another, astrology was a pretty well recognized "art" even in ancient times, and the Babylonians were practicing it at least 2,000 years before Christ. So if it was so well-known, and yet it's clearly so "terrible", where does the bible specifically condemn it? Let alone, why would the Nativity honor the gifts of "known idolators" (aka "the Magi", the Persian name for astronomers/astrologers)?

Matthew 2:1--2: In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, "Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:49 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
Either you trust the Lord to be Your Good Shepherd to lead you and guide you in the way you ought to go or you are looking to guidance and advise from the stars. Christianity and astrology do not mix.

Deuteronomy 4:19And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.

Deuteronomy 18:10There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch. 11Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. 12For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

2 Timothy 2:19Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Proverbs 3: 5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. 7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Psalm 31:1In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness. 2Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me. 3For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me. 4Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength. 5Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth. 6I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the LORD.

1 Peter 4:3For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: 4Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you: 5Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

Be a witness of your trust in the Lord to be Your Good Shepherd by not looking at astrology lest anyone should think you are doing it for more than just being curious. No believer should to be looking at it anyway.
Amen. Astrology is not from God and it's wrong.

“Manasseh… practiced sorcery and divination, and he consulted mediums and psychics. He did much that was evil in the Lord’s sight, arousing His anger.” (2 Kings 21:6)

"In both courts of the temple of the LORD, he built altars to all the starry hosts. He sacrificed his sons in the fire in the Valley of Ben Hinnom, practiced sorcery, divination and witchcraft, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, provoking him to anger." 2 Chronicles 33:5-6

"They forsook all the commands of the Lord their God and made for themselves two idols cast in the shape of calves, and an Asherah pole. They bowed down to all the starry hosts, and they worshiped Baal." (2 King 17:16)

"All the counsel you have received has only worn you out! Let your astrologers come forward, those stargazers who make predictions month by month, let them save you from what is coming upon you. Surely they are like stubble; the fire will burn them up. They cannot even save themselves from the power of the flame. Here are no coals to warm anyone; here is no fire to sit by." (Isaiah 47:13-14)

Acts 16:16-18 talks of a girl who was possessed by an evil spirit that enabled her to be a fortune teller. Paul commanded the evil spirit to come out of her in the name or authority of Jesus, and the spirit left her.

Last edited by CantWait2Leave; 06-09-2010 at 02:23 AM..

Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
For one thing, sounds like you're basically attacking something you really know nothing about. But apparently the very idea of it upsets you tremendously, and I'm curious why you would find it so threatening?

For another, astrology was a pretty well recognized "art" even in ancient times, and the Babylonians were practicing it at least 2,000 years before Christ. So if it was so well-known, and yet it's clearly so "terrible", where does the bible specifically condemn it? Let alone, why would the Nativity honor the gifts of "known idolators" (aka "the Magi", the Persian name for astronomers/astrologers)?

Matthew 2:1--2: In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, "Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage."
First, not all magi were astrologers, for Daniel the prophet was the chief of the magi in Nebuchadnezzar's court. Through his influence, undoubtedly many of the magi carried on their religious and political duties as worshippers of the One true God.

Second, there are some biblical scholars who believe that Isaiah predicted that a star would appear when the Messiah was born. If this interpretation is correct, then the magi who worshipped the newborn king were clearly following in Daniel's train, for he almost surely taught them from Isaiah.

Third, although a few believe that the 'star' they saw was a natural phenomenon--such as a conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter--this cannot explain how the star stood right over Bethlehem. It had the ability to move. Matthew writes that the star "went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child was" (Matthew 2:9). No star we have ever seen can do that! Even shooting stars—really meteors burning up in the atmosphere—cannot change directions and stop over a specific place!

It is highly unlikely that heathen, idolatrous astrologers would go to the great effort to travel many, many miles to give honor to the son of a deity they did not worship. With this evidence, we can be quite certain that these magi were not pagan astrologers.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Astrology is not demonic...if you say that then the Magi studying the Stars seeking the arrival of the Savior was demonic...the Star told them that the Savior was born (it was in the Stars) so they followed it and found the Savior...Prove me wrong...with Scripture...
Astrology is demonic. God forbids the hidden arts, sorcery, and divination. Astrology is a form of divination. It is an attempt to know the future apart from divine revelation. All these things are of Satanic origin.

Deuteronomy 18:10-14 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11) or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12) ''For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you. 13) ''You shall be blameless before the LORD your God. 14) ''For those nations, which you shall dispossess, listen to those who practice witchcraft and diviners, but as for you, The LORD your God has not allowed you to do so.

Deuteronomy 4:15-19 ''So watch yourselves carefully, since you did not see any form of the day the LORD spoke to you at Horeb from the midst of the fire, 16) lest you act corruptly and make a graven image for yourselves in the form of any figure, the likeness of male or female. 17) the likeness of any animal that is on the earth, The likeness of any winged bird that flies in the sky, 18) the likeness of anything that creeps on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the water below the earth. 19) ''And beware, lest you lift up you eyes to heaven and see the sun and the moon and the stars, all the host of heaven, and be drawn away and worship them and serve them, those which the LORD your God has allotted to all the peoples under the whole heaven.

2 Kings 21:1-3 MANASSEH was twelve years old when he became king, and he reigned fifty-five years in Jerusalem; and his mother's name wha Hephzibah. 2) And he did evil in the sight of the LORD, according to the abominations of the nations whom the LORD dispossessed before the sons of Israel. 3) For he rebuilt the high places which Hezekiah his father had destroyed; and he erected altars for Baal and made an Asherah, as Ahab king of Israel had done, and worshiped all the host of heaven and served them.

2 Kings 23:5 And he (king Josiah) did away with the idolatrous priests whom the kings of Judah had appointed to burn incense in the high places in the cities of Judah and in the surrounding area of Jerusalem, also those who burned incense to Baal, to the sun and to the moon and to the constellations and to all the host of heaven.

Astrology has always been a form of Idolatry which has been forbidden by God. He commanded the death penalty for any in Israel who practiced Idolatry.

Deuteronomy 17:2-5 ''You shall not sacrifice to the LORD your God an ox or a sheep which has a blemish or any defect, for that is a detestable thing to the LORD your God. 2) ''If there is found in your midst, in any of your towns, which the LORD your God is giving you, a man or a woman who does what is evil in the sight of the LORD your God, by transgressing His covenant, 3) and has gone and served other gods and worshipped them, or the sun or the moon or any of the heavenly host, which I have not commanded, 4) and if it is told you and you have heard of it, then you shall inquire thoroughly, And behold, it it is true and the thing certain that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, 5) then you shall bring out that man or that woman who has done this evil deed, to your gates, that is, the man or the woman, and you shall stone them to death.

Deuteronomy 13:1-5 ''If a prophet or a dreamer of dreams arises among you and gives you a sign or a wonder, 2) and the sign or the wonder comes true, concerning which he spoke to you, saying, 'Let us go after other gods (whom you have not known) and let us serve them, ' 3) you shall not listen to the words of the prophet or that dreamer of dreams; for the LORD your God is testing you to find out if you love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. 4) ''You shall follow the LORD your God and fear Him; and you shall keep His commandments, listen to His voice, serve Him, and cling to Him. 5) ''But that prophet or dreamer of dreams shall be put to death, because he has counseled rebellion against the LORD your God who brought you up from the land of Egypt and redeened you from the house of slavery, to seduce you from the way in which the LORD your God commanded you to walk. So you shall purge the evil from among you.

Idolatry is just as forbidden today as it was in the Old Testament.

2 Corinthians 6:16-7:1 Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the Living God; just as God said, ''I WILL DWELL IN THEM AND WALK AMONG THEM; AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE. 17) ''Therefore, COME OUT FROM THEIR MIDST AND BE SEPARATE,'' says the Lord. ''AND DO NOT TOUCH WHAT IS UNCLEAN; And I will welcome you. 18) ''And I will be a father to you, And you shall be sons and daughters to Me,'' Says the Lord Almighty. 7:1) THEREFORE, having these promises, beloved, let us cheanse ourselves form all defilement of flesh ans spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are; immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20) idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21) envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forwarn you just as I have forewarned you that those who practice such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 John 5:21 Little children, guard yourselves from idols.

1 Corinthians 10:14 Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.

God and His word fulfills the spiritual needs of the believer. He is not to look elsewhere.

Do not think that relegating astrology to the realm of entertainment justifies its use. Satan makes use of entertainment, among other things, to deceive the world.

As to the Magi, the wise men, here are some resources for those interested which explain what is known about them.

www.revelife.com/717741074/who-were-the-magi/

The Birth of Jesus Christ | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

CANA Copyright Notice

A Christmas Surprise: Who Were the Magi? - Chuck Missler - Koinonia House

Who Were the Wise Men?* -* John MacArthur

Fr. Hardon Archives - The Visitation of the Magi

Astrology:

Astrology - Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology Online

Astrology, Horoscopes, Signs of the Zodiac, and the Bible

Does God Forbid Going to Psychics or Following Astrology? | Titus Institute

Old 06-10-2010, 12:55 PM

26 posts, read 24,224 times
Quote:
Just because something is written in the bible, does not make it true. Seek God through meditation and listen to that still small voice.
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

If you do not beleive the word of God, then you are not a Christian at all.

Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.

It talk about profest Christians that go to Church but deny the truth of the bible. That Jesus is the only way, the only truth and the only life, that the word of God is true and that put an other 'Gospel' instead. That beleive that the work of Christ on the Cross is not sufficient and that faith in Jesus is not necessary and sufiscient.

The hearth is weaked abouve all things, who can understand it? Do not trust in yourself, because it would lead you to the wrong path!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity