Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:01 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times

Advertisements

2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

ARE YOU IGNORANT? Peter hopes not. What is this all about?

Ready to blow your mind?

Mat 26:61 And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm................... ...................................

Are you paying attention?

Do you see what is coming?

Peace - your brother in Christ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 10:45 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,730 times
what are you trying to say? I could confer different meanings from it...

::

Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
what are you trying to say? I could confer different meanings from it...

::
Peter says that a day to God is like a thousand years and vice-versa. Jesus says that He would raise His Temple on the third day. That 3rd day is like the 3rd day that Peter was discussing. Jesus used the earthly to describe the Spiritual. That 3rd day is not so far off.

Sure Jesus physically rose on the 3rd day but this is only a TYPE of this Spiritual significance.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:27 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Peter says that a day to God is like a thousand years and vice-versa. Jesus says that He would raise His Temple on the third day. That 3rd day is like the 3rd day that Peter was discussing. Jesus used the earthly to describe the Spiritual. That 3rd day is not so far off.

Sure Jesus physically rose on the 3rd day but this is only a TYPE of this Spiritual significance.
So you believe 3000 years is when he will return by combining what Jesus state with what Peter states?

Jesus died in ~30AD... so you believe he will come back in ~3030?

3030 is a long way off.... I won't be around and neither will my children... It is doubtful that my children's children will even be around then, so why bother even speculating?

I would think that the word "generation" makes better sense. If Jesus didn't come in that "generation" then there is no other generation that would be "ripe" unless there is a return to animal sacrifices....
But that is just my opinion.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:44 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
In the bigger context of things, the writer of II Peter was simply employing spin doctorism after running his mouth in I Peter claiming that the "end of all things" was near. When that didn't happen, the scoffers came out to mock the idea (like what critics are doing today, 2,000 years later). The writer then dropped this spiel which makes absolutely NO sense which future generations of Christians have been using since whenever to explain why Jesus has yet to return 2,000 years later and counting.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So you believe 3000 years is when he will return by combining what Jesus state with what Peter states?

Jesus died in ~30AD... so you believe he will come back in ~3030?

3030 is a long way off.... I won't be around and neither will my children... It is doubtful that my children's children will even be around then, so why bother even speculating?

I would think that the word "generation" makes better sense. If Jesus didn't come in that "generation" then there is no other generation that would be "ripe" unless there is a return to animal sacrifices....
But that is just my opinion.
The end of 2 days would be 2030 if Jesus died in 30AD. So that means the 3rd day would start in 2030. So the question becomes, did Jesus raise ON the third day or after it?

Old 03-21-2010, 02:15 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
The end of 2 days would be 2030 if Jesus died in 30AD. So that means the 3rd day would start in 2030. So the question becomes, did Jesus raise ON the third day or after it?
I think Peter was simply saying the event would come when the time was right and I don't see any proof for an equation or prediction here.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:57 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,668 times
Quote:
2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

ARE YOU IGNORANT? Peter hopes not. What is this all about?
Peter spoke funny like that. Very formal sort of guy.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:52 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
No one knows when he will come. He will "come like a thief in the night"- 1 Thes 5:2. There is no use in trying to figure it out because if we did find the date, he wouldn't be coming like a thief in the night.; therefore, we will never figure out the actual date.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I think Peter was simply saying the event would come when the time was right and I don't see any proof for an equation or prediction here.
Yeah, I do because Peter didn't want us to be ignorant about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity