Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:23 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I do like the responses. Keep them coming!!! I have my own take on this, yet I love the different opinions. My thought starts with 1Peter 1:22,23 it says

"Seeing ye have purified your souls in OBEYING THE TRUTH THROUGH THE SPIRIT unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptable seed, but of INCORRUPTABLE, by THE WORD of God, which liveth and ABIDETH FOR EVER."

I'm probably gonna catch some heat for this, but Here goes................

These verses tell me that we will OBEY THE TRUTH through God's Holy Spirit. That with it, we will be INCORRUPTABLE by THE WORD OF GOD. And that it will ABIDETH FOREVER. What does that mean???

Glad you asked!!!
In order for us to obey the truth, we must know what the truth is. The bible says:

"Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy LAW IS TRUTH." (Psalm 119:142)

"Thou art near,O Lord; and ALL THY COMMANDMENTS ARE TRUTH." (Psalm 119:151)

God's law is truth!! Is this the bibles only example of THE TRUTH??

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, THE TRUTH, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

So the law is truth and Jesus is truth. Next, it says the born again are incorruptable by THE WORD OF GOD. What is THE WORD??

"In the beginning was the Word, and THE WORD WAS WITH GOD, and THE WORD WAS GOD." (John 1:1)

"And THE WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and TRUTH." (John 1:14)

Jesus is "THE WORD." Is this the only example of THE WORD??

"My tongue shall speak of THY WORD: for ALL THY COMMANDMENTS are righteousness" (Psalm119:172)

So once again, the law is the word and Jesus is the word. Seems as though Jesus and the ten commandments are more connected than most believe!!

O.K. I am now ready for the backlash!!!!!

Oh well!!!

GOD BLESS!!!!
From me...you AIN'T...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 04:37 PM

723 posts, read 1,046,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
From me...you AIN'T...
Thank you, ans57. I have a thread I want to post from a different forum. But a good friend of mine wrote it, and I will not use it until he approves. I'm still waiting for his approval. It is titled "Knowledge of the truth". Awsome study. I really hope to share it!!!

GOD BLESS!!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 04:46 PM

17 posts, read 22,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post

By creating the Holy Spirit, God provided a way to bring His Voice and his Divine Love into each of His children

The Holy Spirit is part of the Godhead, and not a created being.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyluck View Post
[/font]

The Holy Spirit is part of the Godhead, and not a created being.
I believe that the Holy Spirit is that part of God that is sent to us to guide us and brings us God's Love.... It is our connection to God.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:05 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
I do like the responses. Keep them coming!!! I have my own take on this, yet I love the different opinions. My thought starts with 1Peter 1:22,23 it says

"Seeing ye have purified your souls in OBEYING THE TRUTH THROUGH THE SPIRIT unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptable seed, but of INCORRUPTABLE, by THE WORD of God, which liveth and ABIDETH FOR EVER."

I'm probably gonna catch some heat for this, but Here goes................

These verses tell me that we will OBEY THE TRUTH through God's Holy Spirit. That with it, we will be INCORRUPTABLE by THE WORD OF GOD. And that it will ABIDETH FOREVER. What does that mean???

Glad you asked!!!
In order for us to obey the truth, we must know what the truth is. The bible says:

"Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and thy LAW IS TRUTH." (Psalm 119:142)

"Thou art near,O Lord; and ALL THY COMMANDMENTS ARE TRUTH." (Psalm 119:151)

God's law is truth!! Is this the bibles only example of THE TRUTH??

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, THE TRUTH, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

So the law is truth and Jesus is truth. Next, it says the born again are incorruptable by THE WORD OF GOD. What is THE WORD??

"In the beginning was the Word, and THE WORD WAS WITH GOD, and THE WORD WAS GOD." (John 1:1)

"And THE WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and TRUTH." (John 1:14)

Jesus is "THE WORD." Is this the only example of THE WORD??

"My tongue shall speak of THY WORD: for ALL THY COMMANDMENTS are righteousness" (Psalm119:172)

So once again, the law is the word and Jesus is the word. Seems as though Jesus and the ten commandments are more connected than most believe!!

O.K. I am now ready for the backlash!!!!!

Oh well!!!

GOD BLESS!!!!
I get from it that the Holy Spirit is the word of God... the voice or communicator... THE Word of God... But that is just me...

Old 04-06-2010, 04:36 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
What is the purpose (or job) of the Holy Spirit???
The involvement (purpose, job) of the Holy Spirt in the lives of people...
Jesus decribes Him as the Helper....

John 16:7
7."But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

He will help us to understand the truth about Christ....
John 16:14
14. "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.

And He will apply the work of Christ to our hearts and He encourages us....
Acts 4:31
31. And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness.

He guides us....
John 16:13
13. "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

And He illuminates the Scripture to us....
John 16:14-15
14. "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.
15". All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

He gives us power....
Acts 1:8
8. but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

He intensifies the love of God in us....
Rom. 5:5
5. and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

He helps us in prayer....
Rom. 8:26
26. In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

He enables us to reflect God's holy character....
Rom. 8:13-14
13. for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
14. For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Gal. 5:22-23
22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23. gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law

And strengthens our potential for Christian growth.....
Eph. 3:16
16. that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man.

God's purpose not only to save His people from their sins, but also to fill them with the Holy Spirit, as on the Day of Pentecost: "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:38).

While the Holy Spirit indwells every believer, yet God both offers and commands us to be completely filled with the Holy Spirit (Eph.5:18).

The blessing is granted only to Christ's followers who hunger for the Spirit and, in an act of faith, purposely open their lives to this complete dwelling.

Jesus promised that the heavenly Father would "give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him" (Luke 11:13, Matt. 5:6-8). It is this life of deepened fellowship with God to which Paul exhorts: "If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit" (Gal.5:25).
Amen......

Old 04-06-2010, 04:51 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
Quote:
Please reply with scripture.
The Holy Spirit firstly convicts- because without contrition, he cannot use anyone. He convicts all who hear or read the gospel.

'"When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned."' Jn 16:8-11 NIV

So the cross convicts of sin, and shows how awful it is; the testimony about Jesus speaks of his perfection; and the result of both is that we know that we are to be judged, and judged by a perfect standard. It is the work of the Holy Spirit to tell us this.

That work is carried out through evangelists, through ordinary saints who, through their righteous actions and speech, shame the world. It is effected by the Scripture, the two-edged sword of the Spirit.

The world contains some, a few, who confess their sins, and commit their lives to Christ. Many of the rest ignore the Spirit as best they can.

Others cannot bear to do so, and persecute evangelists and saints, and often pretend to be of them. The Scripture they twist, with false translation and interpretation- and they blunt that sword with archaic language, the 'King James' translation being a common recourse. The true Scripture has the effect of Stephen when he spoke to the Sanhedrin, who clapped their hands over their ears, so acute was their discomfiture.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I believe that the Holy Spirit is that part of God that is sent to us to guide us and brings us God's Love.... It is our connection to God.
Yes God has sent us the Holy Spirit after Jesus. He performs many things except He is not our "connection" to God in the sense perhaps you may be speaking. He is not the mediator. The Holy Spirit is our helper, our convictor (which guides us in ever increasing conformity to Christ), the breath of God in a litteral sense. The love of God is what brought us the Holy Spirit. Everyday we breath is because the Grace and Love of God.
Actually the "Spirt" part of Holy Spirit is litteraly translated out of hebrew as "Breath". Our connection to the God the Father, is through the Son.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I get from it that the Holy Spirit is the word of God... the voice or communicator... THE Word of God... But that is just me...
The word of God is Jesus. This was implicit in John Chapter 1.
We must be careful because many people take a "feeling" calling it perhaps the holy spirit, then think whatever they feel they are told as the word and perform it. This is one of the challenges of the Catholic church who say that the church's word is as if it were written in the bible.

The bible says "test the spirit" 1 John 4:1. If you read the context of the entire chapter, you may say that this is talking about people. But why specifically was the word "spirit" used and why are we to test it? Because inside us is a driving breath, and if we are born again, the spirit is in us and we walk now by the spirit. The only way you can test the spirit is through the bible.
What do you think Kat?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:24 AM

823 posts, read 1,401,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyluck View Post
Yes God has sent us the Holy Spirit after Jesus. He performs many things except He is not our "connection" to God in the sense perhaps you may be speaking. He is not the mediator. The Holy Spirit is our helper, our convictor (which guides us in ever increasing conformity to Christ), the breath of God in a litteral sense. The love of God is what brought us the Holy Spirit. Everyday we breath is because the Grace and Love of God.
Actually the "Spirt" part of Holy Spirit is litteraly translated out of hebrew as "Breath". Our connection to the God the Father, is through the Son.
Dyluck.....Jesus is not who I worship. I love him for restoring my connection to God. But I go to no other but God. Our Father is who I seek in earnest prayer daily for him to send his Holy Spirit of Love and Guideance. For the Bible tells me so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity