Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you fit?
Option 1 20 90.91%
Option 2 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:14 PM

27,857 posts, read 29,668,262 times

Advertisements

If we were to have a thread specifically intended to be an instructional or educational approach to the different perspectives Christians have with respect to their beliefs, and NO DEBATE were to be allowed on that thread, would you be interested? This would be a place where we could ask one another questions about our own beliefs, theology, perspectives on God, the scriptures, salvation, etc. It would be a place where we could learn from one another. If, for example, I were to want to ask a question on what Catholics believe about sola fide, I could do so. A Catholic could then give me an answer, and I wouldn't have to wade through twenty posts of anti-Catholic sentiment to find my answer. What I want to know is where you see yourself as fitting in. My poll will have choices 1 and 2. They are described in greater detail below:

1. I would enjoy such a thread and would be interested in learning what the various Christian denominations teach (or even what different individual posters) believe. If someone posted something I disagreed with, I would have enough self-control to be able to respond with a simple, "Thank you for the information." I would not feel the need to tell anybody he was wrong to believe as he did.

2. Such a thread would be worthless. We don't need to know anything but the "Truth" (with a capital 'T', of course). I'm not interested in learning about what anybody else believes, and as a Christian, I feel it is my duty to correct those whose doctrines are in error. I would not be able to sit back and read about what other people believe without telling them they were either wrong, misguided, evil, "un-saved" or lying.

This thread could end up going a lot of different directions, but would probably require a lot of moderation. So, even if a lot of us would like it, it may not be feasible.

Last edited by Katzpur; 04-19-2010 at 08:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 PM

823 posts, read 1,384,261 times
I think we owe it to ourselves to hear what others believe in. Who knows, you could learn something new that could be quite important to your own salvation or simply re-affirm your beliefs. If you do not like what is being said, you don't have to re-visit the thread.

I see no harm in this. I see it being very educational and positive.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 PM

8,076 posts, read 6,833,624 times
I think it can only be a positive thing to see where other people are coming from. To just relax knowing this isn't some thread where people's guards are up. Just a thread to express your views. So many times people read a post, not really truly trying to understand the person, but just looking for the things within it that they zero in on so they can argue you, or tear it apart or prove you wrong by giving THEIR interpretation of something. I think it's kind of human nature, I guess. We all do it. Maybe not all the time. But I think we're all guilty of it at one time or another. Or the whole "you are not of God, you don't understand... you are not one of the sheep, blah blah blah." UGH. It's so tiring.

I think it's an awesome idea.
Maybe we'll actually LEARN something about each other!
I like it.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
So many times people read a post, not really truly trying to understand the person, but just looking for the things within it that they zero in on so they can argue you, or tear it apart or prove you wrong by giving THEIR interpretation of something. I think it's kind of human nature, I guess. We all do it. Maybe not all the time. But I think we're all guilty of it at one time or another. Or the whole "you are not of God, you don't understand... you are not one of the sheep, blah blah blah." UGH. It's so tiring.
I know exactly what you mean.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:31 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,676,380 times
that would be great, as I've never liked debating.
'Just the facts Mai'm,just the facts.'

Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,445,585 times
I like the idea of a non-debate thread. I'd like it in general too.

I have doubts it can be done though.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I like the idea of a non-debate thread. I'd like it in general too.

I have doubts it can be done though.
On another site I have been a member of for five years, it works wonderfully. But on that site, there is one entire sub-forum devoted to just educating people on various religious beliefs (including non-Christian beliefs). Everybody on the forum knows that if you want to debate, you go to one of the debate sub-forums, but if you just want answers from a reliable source, you go to the forum where no debate is allowed. Anyway, I know from past experience that it can work, but it would sure keep the mods busy until people finally realized that it wasn't going to do them any good to try to debate on that one thread.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,969,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
that would be great, as I've never liked debating.
'Just the facts Mai'm,just the facts.'
That's where the debates come in - at the often conflicting 'facts.'

There is a saying that goes something like this:

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own private facts."

Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,676,380 times
Oh I know insane,but I guess we would have to consider it posting our own version of the facts(?) would that work?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 PM

Yippee! We've got a mod on board. Everybody thank Miss Blue for her support!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity