Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 12:10 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport and the brakes have been replaced. Rotors, caliper, etc.

I know the thing is old. Sometimes when I stop it acts like it doesn't want to stop, and I can be going pretty slow. Under 10 mph. It makes a sound like I am slamming on the brakes and skidding going 60 mph all of a sudden.

The jeep pulls to the right. I can be going straight and the back end will come around on the right and I will be almost sideways. As though the left front wheel is holding on and the rest of it is swinging around.

This is a very scary thing when this happens. It just happened the end of last month and I did not hit the person in front of me but I came pretty close. They stopped suddenly and I was going pretty slow and my Jeep should not have reacted that way. Of course the people in the lane next to me could have also been hit but they were not. They did scream and yell and cuss at me as they were going by.

We dropped it off at the dealer last Friday and they have had it ever since and have tried to reproduce what happened but could not. Of course it does not happen all the time, but sometimes.

My Jeep has approx 130k miles on it.
Does anyone know what this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 12:15 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Sounds like a problem in the rear brake cylinders.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Sounds like a problem in the rear brake cylinders.
Thanks. I think they mentioned that when we dropped it off but not sure that they looked at them at all.

I will mention it to my SO and he can pit it up on the lift and take a peek...... He loves my Jeep......(not so much..... =/ )

Old 06-06-2013, 12:53 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Thanks. I think they mentioned that when we dropped it off but not sure that they looked at them at all.

I will mention it to my SO and he can pit it up on the lift and take a peek...... He loves my Jeep......(not so much..... =/ )
I'm thinking it's possible that one side or the other is sticking - or, the cylinder not releasing. The way to tell is if, when you get it apart, one of the sets of brake shoes is much thinner than the other.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I'm thinking it's possible that one side or the other is sticking - or, the cylinder not releasing. The way to tell is if, when you get it apart, one of the sets of brake shoes is much thinner than the other.
Thank you. That is the only thing he didn't mess with. It is pretty scary when it happens.....

Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
My wife has a '96 Cherokee Sport, it does the same thing.

Here's what the problem was/is:

Power steering hose was leaking and spraying on the left front rotor, causing the RF rotor to be doing the brunt of the work because the LF was lubed with the oil. The RF rotor warped slightly (probably from overheating) and now it 'grabs'. The problem is not so much evident as long as everything is dry, but if there is the least bit of moisture it becomes a serious problem.

Check your RF rotor for warpage, and your PS pump/lines for leakage. Because your problem sounds so severe, I'd suggest that you check the rear brakes too, because it seems like they aren't doing much for you either. The rears may need adjustment and/or new contact surfaces.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
If you can't fix it Pikantari, you can send it to me and I'll "get rid of it" for you, free of charge.

I will in no way be keeping it for myself.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
My wife has a '96 Cherokee Sport, it does the same thing.

Here's what the problem was/is:

Power steering hose was leaking and spraying on the left front rotor, causing the RF rotor to be doing the brunt of the work because the LF was lubed with the oil. The RF rotor warped slightly (probably from overheating) and now it 'grabs'. The problem is not so much evident as long as everything is dry, but if there is the least bit of moisture it becomes a serious problem.

Check your RF rotor for warpage, and your PS pump/lines for leakage. Because your problem sounds so severe, I'd suggest that you check the rear brakes too, because it seems like they aren't doing much for you either. The rears may need adjustment and/or new contact surfaces.
Thanks a bunch, Zymer. My PS hose actually IS leaking. SO says he will get it up on the lift next weekend and look at it.

How is your wifes Jeep doing now? Once fixed is it fine, or does it seem to be a reoccurring problem?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
If you can't fix it Pikantari, you can send it to me and I'll "get rid of it" for you, free of charge.

I will in no way be keeping it for myself.
Sure thing, Magnatomic.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 AM

865 posts, read 2,160,077 times
As for the locking up, it's pretty common among Cherokee owners. There are a lot of topics on Jeep sites about Cherokee rear brakes locking up the first time. Cheap quality drums build up rust and tend to grab the first few times.

The auto adjusters in my Cherokee are bad and cuase the right side drum to back itself off over 3 -4 months. I usually manaully adjust both rear brakes every 3 months and it's fine.

Finally check the front soft lines. They could be disintegrating from the inside out and there could be pieces of rubber tube clogging it. There's two in the front and one in the rear.

I had a situation last year where, on right turns, the shock would get lose and clamp off the right caliper. So, if I was pulling into a parking spot with my wheel turned right, I could stop, but when I turned the wheel straight, the pedal would go dow nquite a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram