Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,006 times

Advertisements

Just curious, of the impression of other automotive enthusiasts on the Chrysler Imperial. Elegant or Gaudy? Realize, styles changed dramatically over the years. How would you compare against the Cadillacs or Lincolns during the same era?

1959 Chrysler Imperial

1961 Chrysler Imperial

1961 Chrysler Imperial (back image)

1962 Chrysler Imperial

1962 Imperial (back image)

1965 Chrysler Imperial

1970 Chrysler Imperial

1972 Chrysler Imperial

1973 Chrysler Imperial

1975 Chrysler Imperial

1983 Chrysler Imperial

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 03:04 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
You realize that saying "Chrysler Imperial" is like saying "Ford Lincoln," right?

Old 06-06-2013, 03:14 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
I'd kill for either the '61 or '62 Imperial Convertibles . . . BEAUTIES.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
The late 50's Imperials are one of my all time favorite luxury cars of the day, the 56's were really nice, they look awesome, and the gunslinger taillights of the 59's were just so sick. The 60's Imperials were also beauties, I just didn't like how much they looked so similar to 60's Continentals though. I understand Elwood Engel going to Chrysler had everything to do with it, but still. Imperials never really came out with anything unique or groundbreaking for styling purposes throughout it's history, or worth mentioning.

The 70's Imp's just didn't have the same kind of styling or flare like the 50's and 60's models, but you can say this about all cars during that time frame.

70's Lincoln's and Cadillac's outclass, and look a lot cooler and impressive IMO than similar year Imperials, although that 72 Imp in the pic is pretty nice. The Imps looked too generic, and didn't stand out that much like they did in the 60's. They were probably great running cars, that performed well, but they just don't anything for me.

I think Ford's hidden headlamps were one of the coolest design features in the 70's. From the LTD, Grand Marquis, and the Continentals, it was just one of those things that stood out, and was really elegant. Chrysler copied Lincoln in it's styling a lot starting around 74, and the Chrysler New Yorker front end was a slight rip off from the Continentals too, especially with the grill, hidden headlamps and the chrome strip that goes on top along the fenders. Some years look good, but overall the 70's Chryslers including the Imps were rather plain looking cars.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
They are all gorgeous. I am a sucker for the big fins of the late 50's but I also hold a soft spot for the luxo-barges of the 70's. There is nothing like the highway ride of a 70's full size ride.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
70's Lincoln's and Cadillac's outclass, and look a lot cooler and impressive IMO than similar year Imperials, although that 72 Imp in the pic is pretty nice. The Imps looked too generic, and didn't stand out that much like they did in the 60's. They were probably great running cars, that performed well, but they just don't anything for me.
Starting in 1969 the Imperial shared the same basic body as the Chrysler which made it less unique, although it still had a few luxury appointments not available on the New Yorker. I think that was the beginning of the end.

I've got a good friend who is an Imperial collector and used to own the local Chrysler dealership. Back in the '80s when a little old lady would trade in her big, old Imperial for a K-car he would hall them out to his farm rather than put them on the lot. A fwe years ago he needed some money and decided to "trim the herd" so I helped him haul a bunch of them in to a local auction house. He had dozens of Imperials from the mid-1960s through the mid-1970s, mostly low mileage and in great shape other than being covered with dust, plus the nicer ones he had kept in more controlled storage areas.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:14 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Starting in 1969 the Imperial shared the same basic body as the Chrysler which made it less unique, although it still had a few luxury appointments not available on the New Yorker. I think that was the beginning of the end.

I've got a good friend who is an Imperial collector and used to own the local Chrysler dealership. Back in the '80s when a little old lady would trade in her big, old Imperial for a K-car he would hall them out to his farm rather than put them on the lot. A fwe years ago he needed some money and decided to "trim the herd" so I helped him haul a bunch of them in to a local auction house. He had dozens of Imperials from the mid-1960s through the mid-1970s, mostly low mileage and in great shape other than being covered with dust, plus the nicer ones he had kept in more controlled storage areas.
That's really cool! Did you find any that you really liked, and picked up off him?

Old 06-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
That's really cool! Did you find any that you really liked, and picked up off him?
I liked pretty much everything he put on the block. At the time he also had a collection of 300 letter cars - one of every model - which he also sold. He also had a 1979 300 from the dealership that had never been registered. Plus some early cars, lesser Chryslers, and wagonloads of NOS parts from the dealership.

The coolest thing to watch sell was a shipping tube of those old Direct Connection girlie posters from the early '70s. The ringman pulled one out and unrolled it, and as soon as people could see what it was about 50 hands went up and just stayed there until the bidding got to well over $100.

Unfortunately I had just gone back to work after being laid off for a year so I wasn't in any position to buy anything. Driving some of those classics to the auction site was a blast, though.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:32 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
1973 (Chrysler) Imperial review by Tom McCahill, Mechanix Illustrated magazine

my favorite was the 72 and 73's tho i personally thought the workmanship was better starting in 1974. the link is a road test of the 73, talks about how the car wasn't what it used to be but still was impressive

the 72 and 73's, if you covered up the grille and back lights, just looked like glorified New Yorker's or even Dodges

Old 06-06-2013, 07:25 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I'd kill for either the '61 or '62 Imperial Convertibles . . . BEAUTIES.
Perhaps I would not kill, but I would gladly take one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram