Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 09:12 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times

Advertisements

you may have heard me talk of how early 70's big Mopars, despite all the refinement in their sound insulation, still had never received the "quiet" ratings that their GM and Ford competitors did

For example the 1973 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham in CR's tests (4700 lbs) in the sound level tests (measured in sones) was only 1 sone higher than the Chevrolet Caprice Classic (4400 lbs) rated "quiet" , did have a noisier ride on rough roads(3 sones more), but ended up receiving only a "fairly quiet" rating

now, the 73 Imperial weighed in at 5100 lbs, 400 lbs more than the New Yorker

if you had to guess, would you think that the extra 400 lbs would have resulted in the Imperial receiving a "quiet" rating had it been tested by CR's?

Thom McCahill tested the Imperial in 1973 in one of those auto mags and he said "even your mother in law would have difficulty faulting the Imp for it's quietness"

and Motor Trend from that year said that the Imperial of that year had detectable wind and tire noise but it wasn't excessive, but it was "inexusable in a car of this price"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 03:51 PM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
Imperials had rubber isolated suspensions before other Chrysler products, so I would expect them to be quieter.

Tom McCahill, of Mechanix Illustrated fame, was a personal friend of Walter P. Chrysler. His objectivity has been called into question because of that, and because of his glowing reviews of Chrysler products.

I too have always been fascinated by quiet vehicles. Unfortunately, you can not compare sound ratings the way you compare acceleration, braking, and cornering through the decades. There is no standard protocol. Another problem is that the blower fan can overwhelm wind and road noise. Car and Driver does sound measurements with the blower off, which is not realistic for most of the year. A better test would involve setting the fan speed to produce a required amount of air flow, and then measure sound levels.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:04 PM

he loved the older Imps but the 73 he tested he noted several flaws in the upholstery and how the performance suffered due to emission controls and "how they ain't like they used to be".

Old 01-18-2014, 04:49 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Yeah, I would imaging that the Imperial would have had a quieter interior than the New Yorker Brougham, but since the NYB was only next step down from the Imperial, you would think it would have been almost as quiet. I used to have a 1975 Imperial/Fleetwood/Continental road test, but not sure what happened to it. I think the Caddy and Lincoln were still quieter than Imperial however.

My 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville Custom 4dr hardtop sedan has a super quiet interior - I can hear NO wind or road noise in that car... only the a little roar of the 455 engine. . It was probably a little quieter than the Caprice Classic that year since it was a slightly more expensive car and was Pontiacs top of the line model.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:06 PM

in CR's tests in the early 70s all those big GM cars were rated quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram