Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 AM

364 posts, read 1,978,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
4 Runner would be too big and too expensive. Even the Highlander was out of my range. I would go with Acura before Toyota on that scale.

I guess what I am really looking for is owners of the Patriot to step up and give a report on their personal experience with the vehicle. And I do so wonder why the Compass has a bad rep but the Patriot doesn't so far. Aren't they basically the same?
You're right, 4Runners are very expensive.

If you decide to go with the Patriot, see if they have a lease option. That way you won't get stuck with a vehicle that promises a low resale option. At the end of the lease you could keep it if you want anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 09:06 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Checked out the new MDX. WoW...What a machine. It was just a bit out of our reach. Haven't been able to find any used ones locally. Thanks for the advice though.
What about the RDX? Smaller version of the Acura SUV's and you know it's going to be beyond reliable.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:27 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
I'm still baffled how folks don't understand the economics of a lease.

Effectively, you are purchasing the use of the vehicle for a fixed period of time. The seller/lease agent is forecasting what percentage of the vehicle's economic value you are going to use during that time and that's what they base the lease amount on (plus their profit on the deal).

So, if they forecast that the "residual" value at the end of the lease term is 50% of the new price, then that's what you pay out over the term of the lease. If they forecast a lower or higher number, then that's what you pay.

The only advantage you may capture economically with a lease term is when the forecast is way off in your favor ... the "buy out" is a lot less than the then present day value of the vehicle at the end of your lease. So you can buy a vehicle for less than it's worth. Conversely, if the vehicle is worth less than what your buy out is, then you'd most likely pass up buying the vehicle.

So ... let's apply this to the real world of this car line-up. How well do these vehicles hold up in the resale marketplace 2 or 3 years after being sold new? If they're only bringing 40% at 3 years, and you have a 3 year lease, and the lease company accurately forecast the residual value, then that means you'd pay out 60% of the vehicle's value during your three year lease and use of the vehicle.

There's also a lot of other factors on your typical lease, such as over mileage per year charges, or reconditioning charges at the end of the lease term beyond normal wear and tear. These can add up to a lot of money for you to pay at the end of the lease and vehicle turn-in, especially if you are being charged dealer list price for the items, like a front windshield.

IMO, unless you have a business situation where you can deduct the lease expenses, leases are a very poor second choice for acquiring a vehicle for personal use compared to quality used vehicles or even new vehicles.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 PM

699 posts, read 2,894,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
What about the RDX? Smaller version of the Acura SUV's and you know it's going to be beyond reliable.
Still over $31k and Acura doesn't discount. If they gave me in trade what my TL is worth maybe but well that is why I considered the Patriot. The deal for it is almost $10 k less. but then I would be loosing quality and reliability from what I am told. I do have a few acquaintences who have the Jeep Liberty and love them. I'm not in a hurry to make a decision as I just put new tires on the TL and she rides like she was new. Maybe I'll get her detailed and sell her myself. If I get my price then maybe I can go for the new Acura
RDX.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM

54 posts, read 311,941 times
I just came across this post as I am seriously considering a Patriot as well. I would not be worried about all the negatives, there are people who have negative thoughts about every brand. If you were talking about a honda suv, the jeep people would shut it down. Anyways, I drive a honda right now, am not very impressed with the quality, have had a few problems. I used to drive a plymouth minivan, I loved it, never had any problems. I want something with some space thats gets good mileage, and the patriot is just that, and cheap. I would not worry about American quality anymore, as they have had to step up the game to compete with the japanese. Also, japanese automakers are starting to have more problems nowadays as well. All in all, every car has problems. Get what you want. I wouldn't get a car that is 10K more than the patriot, that would kill your monthly payment. Although, I'm a recent college graduate looking for the lowest possible monthly rate.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,644 times
Might I suggest a Mazda CX-7? You can probably get into a top of the line model for around $30k. Amenities such as navi, heated power leather, keyless ignition, etc. I have a Mazda 3 now and am looking to trade into a CX-7 in the next two years or so. I would highly recommend, at least, test driving one.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:17 PM

699 posts, read 2,894,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Might I suggest a Mazda CX-7? You can probably get into a top of the line model for around $30k. Amenities such as navi, heated power leather, keyless ignition, etc. I have a Mazda 3 now and am looking to trade into a CX-7 in the next two years or so. I would highly recommend, at least, test driving one.
Is the cx7 the same as a Ford Escape ? I want nothing to do with Ford products. Put ( Ford Escape fires ) in your search engine.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:19 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,644 times
No, they are mechanically completely different. The only car in Mazda's line-up that shares mechanical parts with a Ford vehicle is the Tribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram