Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times

Advertisements

I see! Well, its a beautiful car. That was about the last year that I cared for.

I like that instrument panel, despite the lower amount of woodgrain trim on its competetors that year- I think its tasteful. With that said, with it being the top of the line Chrysler (I guess competing with the Electra Limited and Marquis Brougham). Im the early 70s, seems like the more woodgrain the interior had, the fancier it was. My 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville has alot of woodgrain trim on both sides of the dash and doors. I am not sure how much more a 1973 New Yorker Brougham was comparted to a 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville without pulling up some figures. The Marquis Brougham 4dr hardtop for 1973 was $5,134.

Here is the dash of its competetor- a 1973 Buick Electra Limited... (this was the only Electra I could find with the Limited option...
http://www.paulzeock.com/C/buick.jpg (broken link)
http://www.paulzeock.com/C/buick001.jpg (broken link)

and here is a 1973 Electra Custom (midline model)... this was the same color as my 72'.... (mine had the cornering light option though)

Here is its other competetor -
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham...

I could not find any interior photos at this time....

Yes, those Town & Country wagons were huge! I love those. There was a 72' here locally that set for years. When I got to when I liked these cars and had money, it was gone. Here is a Mercury wagon... Colony Park... also a tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
tennesee that is MY Car, the 73 New Yorker you posted. Something about the styling that reads loud and clear that it is obviously a big handsome imposing car but yet it's not pretentious. it's like it almost has both a super modern(like GM and Ford) yet old fashioned or old world (but not stodgy like the Matador/Ambassador) thing about it.

and tennesee looking at the dash it indeed as you say looks tackier than GM/Ford, that steering wheel tries to look in good taste but it really belongs on lesser plymouths

but at the same time it looks so substantial it's so hard to forget

I think a guy at Chrysler with the name of Dick mcAdam designed the 73's

and don't forget this monster was available as the Town and Country station wagon!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 09:19 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Default God these ads bring

back memories. I remember this ad when i used to read Time magazine in the school library. That Buick is NYYCE--I prefer it over the Mercury which is very solid and stately but the lines to me are dull. We had a 75 Buick Century which rode like a cloud so you can imagine how an Electra must ride

Old 01-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Oh yeah - back in the early 1990s our local library was selling out the old early 70s time-life books. They were hardbacked books, but had every magazine issue in them. I bought them naturally, mainly because of the car ads. I remember seeing that ad alot in the magazines. Unfortunately I had poorly stored the books and they suffered water damage. I still have them though out in the garage.

Yes, those did have a cloud-like ride. I had a 1972 Buick Electra 225 Custom 4dr hardtop that I bought locally in winter of 2001 that rode feather soft. It was a 1-owner car, doctor owned. I regret to this day selling it. I sold it in 2002 or 2003 to a guy that lived/lives in Rock Hill South Carolina. No clue if he still has it or not, or its wherabouts. It was 100%+ rust free! It had the rare fingertip gearshift wiper control option. As nice as it rode, I still think my 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville has almost as nice of a ride, but the Electra did have a slightly longer wheelbase, so it may have rode just a little better.

Here is a picture of the old beast back in 2001 in our driveway. GOSH, our place sure has changed alot since this photo.

(oh, here is a 2007 Buick Lucerne in 2007 in the same location as the 1972 Buick Electra taken in 2001. )

styling much like the Pontiac....

Instrument panel on the 72' Electra...

and the 73' Grand Ville...

rear door panels....
Electra:

Grand Ville:

rear seat of the Electra...

rlrl - have you seen this site dedicated to the 73' Dodge? Neat site!
http://www.fuselage.de/dod73/1.html

Quote:
back memories. I remember this ad when i used to read Time magazine in the school library. That Buick is NYYCE--I prefer it over the Mercury which is very solid and stately but the lines to me are dull. We had a 75 Buick Century which rode like a cloud so you can imagine how an Electra must ride

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 01-12-2009 at 12:25 AM..

Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 AM

Default oh yeah

I discovered the fuselage website in 2001 and chatted with the web administrator who has a 71 Imperial.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I had found it around that time too, but had forgot about it sometime down the line.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM

Default There is a guy in

Ohio who collects and sells old car brochures online. I bought some old Mopar ads from 72 and 73 6 years ago from him and i still have them. But when I discovered that fuselage website i said to myself 'why didn't i see this sooner?"--it had all the brochures and i could have printed them out for free!!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Ohio who collects and sells old car brochures online. I bought some old Mopar ads from 72 and 73 6 years ago from him and i still have them. But when I discovered that fuselage website i said to myself 'why didn't i see this sooner?"--it had all the brochures and i could have printed them out for free!!
Lol... thats how it goes sometimes. I would like to find a similiar site like that for the 1971-76 GM cars... at least 1971,2 or 1973.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:10 PM

Default hey tennesee

or others who may know how converter boxes for tv's work, i just posted something in the science and tech section i had a question about. it's unrelated to this board so i won't go on. if you know something please read my post over at sci and tech or pm me

thanks

rl

Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 AM

Default Did i mention

the 72 Plymouth Fury I restored Police cruiser at the NYPD museum in NY? I was there in 4/2001 and enjoyed walking in and seeing the black cruiser sitting there in the middle of the museum. I would have preferred to see a Gran Sedan with those hidden headlights but we all know cops only drove the bottom of the line cars. Just seeing that ominous plastic grille with the plymouth insignia in the middle brought back memories of Watergate and "Horse With No name" from that year

Old 01-15-2009, 02:42 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Does anyone think there will be tailights as beautiful as the 1970 300 again? I must say if so, it might be the new Challenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram