Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Status: "Mike Johnson stand your ground" (set 22 hours ago)

939 posts, read 1,227,773 times

Advertisements

Is it coincidence that the Dodges have such great problems at 85K+. I wanted to buy American but not a chance now. The cars oil light comes on goes 3 miles to safety and the engine seizes. This is not a lone story per internet. This was my first Chrysler Auto I have ever had ., In the past mostly GM and the future now lies with Hyundai or Kia. Is this just my first bad car luck and are all Dodges built this way. It seems by the internet 85K is like 200 in Dog Years for a Chrysler Product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 03:36 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Chrysler's suck. They always have. It's not planned, it's just genetic.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:44 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
Is it coincidence that the Dodges have such great problems at 85K+. I wanted to buy American but not a chance now. The cars oil light comes on goes 3 miles to safety and the engine seizes. This is not a lone story per internet. This was my first Chrysler Auto I have ever had ., In the past mostly GM and the future now lies with Hyundai or Kia. Is this just my first bad car luck and are all Dodges built this way. It seems by the internet 85K is like 200 in Dog Years for a Chrysler Product.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. If the low oil pressure light comes on with any car's engine above idle speed and you keep driving 3 miles, well' d'oh, yeah, the engine will likely sieze or you will at least spin a big-end rod bearing.

Better, of course, to have an oil pressure gauge, but if all you have is the "idiot" light, when it comes on, you have seconds, not minutes, to unload and shut down the engine...

Or am I missing your point?

That said, something seemed to change for the worse with Chrysler around 2004 or 2005 - before then, at least some of them were good to OK cars, since then, not so much...

Old 11-19-2009, 03:56 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
If you think Chrysler is bad, go ahead and buy a Kia. Don't say I told you so. Yes, Chrysler's are junk, but Kia's are the same or worse. Try a Ford Fusion, they are American and have a good track record.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:22 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Let the haters keep hating. It turned over to 160k this morning, '03 Dodge Intrepid. Put 90k city miles on it, had one repair. Put the next 70k on it after that (@ 700-900 miles/wk) and this stretch has been 100% flawless. Gets 24 mpg @ 85mph. Still driving at that rate for the next couple years, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Bought it with 7500 miles for $15k. Got the dreaded 2.7L ''sludge pit'' that has been nothing but smooth & reliable. Transmission got a fluid & filter change at 60k, and it needs it for the second time soon. Still shifts good.

I have had one repair in all those miles -- plastic weld blew off @ 80k on a coolant hose, idiotic design. Thankfully I was almost home. I installed the new hose the same evening in one hour. The rest has been maintenance. It is a higher maintenance vehicle, though, i.e. front end bushings are part of it.

I'd still buy another one of these in a heartbeat if they still made them. I think they damn near perfected the Intrepid/Concorde for '03 and early '04, just before they axed them. However I wouldn't have considered any other Chrysler during that era. And nothing Chrysler from '05+ looks like something I'd consider. Maybe the 300, but that's a bit long in the tooth and actually seems cheaper on the inside vs the Intrepid, if you can believe it. The Charger... even worse.

When my car finally dies, I'll let you know. Though I've never heard of any junky car going 160k with only one repair.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:45 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
If you think Chrysler is bad, go ahead and buy a Kia. Don't say I told you so. Yes, Chrysler's are junk, but Kia's are the same or worse. Try a Ford Fusion, they are American and have a good track record.
Just about every modern ownership experience or review seems to say otherwise. Hyundai is now moving upmarket and Kia is moving into Hyundai's current position. Things are looking very good for both of them and if cars like the Genesis are a sign of things to come I am dearly excited to see what they produce next.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Let the haters keep hating. It turned over to 160k this morning, '03 Dodge Intrepid. Put 90k city miles on it, had one repair. Put the next 70k on it after that (@ 700-900 miles/wk) and this stretch has been 100% flawless. Gets 24 mpg @ 85mph. Still driving at that rate for the next couple years, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Bought it with 7500 miles for $15k. Got the dreaded 2.7L ''sludge pit'' that has been nothing but smooth & reliable. Transmission got a fluid & filter change at 60k, and it needs it for the second time soon. Still shifts good.

I have had one repair in all those miles -- plastic weld blew off @ 80k on a coolant hose, idiotic design. Thankfully I was almost home. I installed the new hose the same evening in one hour. The rest has been maintenance. It is a higher maintenance vehicle, though, i.e. front end bushings are part of it.

I'd still buy another one of these in a heartbeat if they still made them. I think they damn near perfected the Intrepid/Concorde for '03 and early '04, just before they axed them. However I wouldn't have considered any other Chrysler during that era. And nothing Chrysler from '05+ looks like something I'd consider. Maybe the 300, but that's a bit long in the tooth and actually seems cheaper on the inside vs the Intrepid, if you can believe it. The Charger... even worse.

When my car finally dies, I'll let you know. Though I've never heard of any junky car going 160k with only one repair.
I'm not sure what you're trying to do here. Who exactly is hating? From your post it seems to be you when it comes to just about every Chrysler product excluding your Intrepid.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:53 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

I was discussing this with a co-worker lately. It seems that something went south in a big way at Chrysler around 2005 or 2006 - up to that year, as you say, they were sort of high-maintenance, but if you did the services per the book they were good cars. Sometime after that, it seems the build quality went way downhill.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:07 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I had a Charger rental after a car accident a few months ago, and, at first, I was excited, as I hadn't driven or been in one. Boy was I in for a shock. That thing was a TURD, even with 10K miles on it.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I had a Charger rental after a car accident a few months ago, and, at first, I was excited, as I hadn't driven or been in one. Boy was I in for a shock. That thing was a TURD, even with 10K miles on it.
Chargers are turds before anything even breaks. The interiors are downright awful for a car costing that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram