Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 11:22 AM

15 posts, read 47,253 times

Advertisements

Can someone recommend a quality builder that is easy to get along with for either the Mason, Montgomery or Indian Hills areas? Would also like for him/her to be financially secure. Wanting to build around 3500 sq ft home with top of the line or possibly reclaimed materials. Thanks so much if you have any recommendations for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:33 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Try Daniels Homes in Cincinnati. My brother has one of their properties and is quite pleased. Another builder with a good reputation is Fischer Homes.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Kid View Post
Can someone recommend a quality builder that is easy to get along with for either the Mason, Montgomery or Indian Hills areas? Would also like for him/her to be financially secure. Wanting to build around 3500 sq ft home with top of the line or possibly reclaimed materials. Thanks so much if you have any recommendations for me.
Absolutely no question for Mason and Montgomery. It would be Robert Lucke Homes:

Cincinnati Home Builders & New Homes | Lucke Homes - Cincinnati (http://www.rluckehomes.com/index.asp?lp=true - broken link)

Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Absolutely no question for Mason and Montgomery. It would be Robert Lucke Homes:

Cincinnati Home Builders & New Homes | Lucke Homes - Cincinnati (http://www.rluckehomes.com/index.asp?lp=true - broken link)
I can agree, Robert Lucke is a top-notch builder.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:30 PM

What I'm looking for is a builder that is knowledgeable about using reclaimed materials and is willing to build me a smaller house in a style similar to this

Harrison Design Associates - Premier Architectural Design Firm

I have looked at the Homearama builders over the last few years and their tastes and designs are too over the top for me. Please help...I am very frustrated. Are there any residential architects in Cincinnati that focus on using reclaimed materials? Thanks so much for any info....

Old 07-01-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
What I'm looking for is a builder that is knowledgeable about using reclaimed materials and is willing to build me a smaller house in a style similar to this

Harrison Design Associates - Premier Architectural Design Firm

I have looked at the Homearama builders over the last few years and their tastes and designs are too over the top for me. Please help...I am very frustrated. Are there any residential architects in Cincinnati that focus on using reclaimed materials? Thanks so much for any info....
I think that you will find it a mistake to start with an architect. Almost all residential construction under $1mm in this area (which should include you @ 3500ft x 200-250/ft) will be design build and the builder will engage an architect as needed for design detail and drawings.

I did note that the link you provided above shows the McMansion style 7000-10000 square foot houses on its home page suitable for the Real Housewives of Atlanta, but maybe there are some smaller houses in the 3500 foot range inside the web site. I urge you not to build a smaller version of one of those featured houses. The only thing worse than a McMansion is a scaled down version of a McMansion.

Again, I would suggest that you call Lucke Homes and ask to speak to the sales manager and tell him what you want. 513-683-3300

Old 07-01-2010, 08:40 PM

682 posts, read 1,630,036 times
Will Indian Hills even let someone build something as small as 3500 square feet these days?

Old 07-02-2010, 06:06 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Will Indian Hills even let someone build something as small as 3500 square feet these days?
It should be okay, so long as the main house is at least twice that.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 AM

Can you elaborate on what you mean by a scaled down McMansion? I like smaller rooms, a 3br 2.5 bath house, but with high ceilings, a Downsview kitchen and a pool. Don't want 10000 sq ft along with the high taxes that go along with that. I'm close to retirement age and don't need the space anymore, but on the other hand, I do need to be concerned about resale. So, I am curious about your thoughts on this idea of mine. It seems to me that as the boomers are aging, they may become much more interested in quality smaller homes because of the lower upkeep and taxes.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Can you elaborate on what you mean by a scaled down McMansion? I like smaller rooms, a 3br 2.5 bath house, but with high ceilings, a Downsview kitchen and a pool. Don't want 10000 sq ft along with the high taxes that go along with that. I'm close to retirement age and don't need the space anymore, but on the other hand, I do need to be concerned about resale. So, I am curious about your thoughts on this idea of mine. It seems to me that as the boomers are aging, they may become much more interested in quality smaller homes because of the lower upkeep and taxes.
I have that same feeling. The McMansions pictured in your initial link were loaded with what, for aging boomers, are wasted rooms and space. The builder I recommended built a 3500-4000 square foot home for a friend of mine that is exquisite. I'm pretty sure they will show you photos if you ask, but it was above the 200/ft cost.

I think what you are describing also fits into the renovation of an existing home with possibly the addition of a pool. Smaller rooms are a thing of the past as far as builders and realtors are concerned. Today, a "great room" must be truly great to pass muster. I live in an older home (1928) and the living room is about 30x15, small by today's standards. And the kitchen is more like a ship's galley than these huge entertainment areas built today. But, it works just fine for me. I'd rather have a breakfast room where you can't see or smell the kitchen activities.

Be careful what you design though because someone will have to resell it someday and that can be a disappointing task if you have a million dollar house with two bedrooms and a pool.

Last edited by Wilson513; 07-07-2010 at 05:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati