Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 09:46 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times

Advertisements

Not that I agree with it, but I got a chuckle out of the sign a window cleaning business that fronts I-75 in Dayton has in their yard:

"HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS. TEXT IF YOU WANT TO MEET HIM."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM

350 posts, read 880,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh really, saving lives is less important? This is a big problem. This law could save many lives, especially among those under the age of 21. They are the main ones doing the texting.
Really? All of these lives will be magically saved (by an enforceable law that the under-21 will scoff at) If it saves lives, then you right. Because it will not, you are just being naiive.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:05 AM

350 posts, read 880,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Lol...

Wow, there must be an anti-texting fad sweeping the nation.

I wonder if these no-texting nuts still TALK on their cell? I'm guessing they do.

What they don't realize is that these kids can text blindfolded without looking at the screen.... it's the pre- Gen-Xers that have to scroll and chicken-peck to send a text.

I tried to rep but couldn't...

Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,811 times
So, I shouldn't be posting this while driving?

I'm in more of an agreement with the law that New York put in place which is no cell phone, or use of any portable electronics while driving with the exception of a hands free device. I have seen people weaving in and out while texting and it scares me. Any distraction is dangerous and should be banned.

But even hands free devices are a distraction. I have that in my car and I still find myself focusing more on the conversation than on the road. I really don't like using a cell phone while driving.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:50 PM

People who aren't good at using or don't like using electronic devices while driving should not use them . AND they should not endorse laws that affect those who can or need to use electronic devices behind the wheel and can use them safely.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Quote:
Not that I agree with it, but I got a chuckle out of the sign a window cleaning business that fronts I-75 in Dayton has in their yard:

Where is that at, CC? An interesting sign when you think about it.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
People who aren't good at using or don't like using electronic devices while driving should not use them . AND they should not endorse laws that affect those who can or need to use electronic devices behind the wheel and can use them safely.
With due respect, I think the problem is that a lot of people think they're being safe when they're not. Watch some of the televised reports where they put confident texters into a simulator and they kill a few people within minutes.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:10 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
The most 'stupid' thing I ever saw while driving occurred in Cincinnati. Some 20 something girl whizzing past me in the fast lane doing 80mph , driving with her knees and holding a box of Chinese food in one hand and CHOPSTICKS in the other.

There is a certain level of "personal resonsibility" that comes with operating a two ton vehicle that if you make an error, can Kill me.

To all the "text junkies" fear not! With the current mindset of our present Government and our technologically advanced world, in just a few years when you exceed the speed limit, or text while driving, your car will simply contact the authorities and send the fine for your offense to your online bank account where the monies will be cheerfully paid by your banks computer to the police.

Don't have the money in your account...don't fear.. your car will simply pull to the side of the road, turn on its blinkers, lock you in your car, and wait until the police show up to take you to jail.

ISN'T TECHNOLOGY WONDERFUL?

Old 09-17-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
With due respect, I think the problem is that a lot of people think they're being safe when they're not. Watch some of the televised reports where they put confident texters into a simulator and they kill a few people within minutes.
I have, Sarah, and the ones I've seen feature tasks unrelated to driving or scenarios unrealistic for normal drivers... I'll definitely accept that we Americans aren't as good behind the wheel as we believe we are. I didn't start driving a truck until I was 41 years old. That really opened my eyes to the things that we don't really learn or practice. That said, accidents rates shrink pretty much every year, so many of us ARE doiing pretty well behind the wheel. (And probably counteracting those that don't...0

Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
I have, Sarah, and the ones I've seen feature tasks unrelated to driving or scenarios unrealistic for normal drivers... I'll definitely accept that we Americans aren't as good behind the wheel as we believe we are. I didn't start driving a truck until I was 41 years old. That really opened my eyes to the things that we don't really learn or practice. That said, accidents rates shrink pretty much every year, so many of us ARE doiing pretty well behind the wheel. (And probably counteracting those that don't...0
LOL. It's kind of Lake Woebegon behind the wheel, where everyone thinks they themselves are at least a better-than-average driver. Not possible, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati