Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 03:20 PM

6 posts, read 9,834 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a recent college grad who is moving to Cincinnati for an internship that will last for the majority of the upcoming year. I will be working downtown in the football/baseball stadium area and am hoping to find an apartment around there. Any suggestions? I'm not too worried about the price as I've previously lived in some expensive states and have heard Cincinnati is a relatively cheap city.

Also, is Cincinnati a fun place for young singles? In other words, are there things to do downtown on the weekends (bars, clubs, comedy clubs, etc.)? I am pretty outgoing and love meeting new people. Any information you guys can provide about the city would be helpful as I am moving without much knowledge of the place (other than internet research).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 03:39 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
John, I predict when all is said and one you will either live in Downtown or Hyde PArk/Mt. Lookout. there are pros and cons for both and we will help you iron out the choices. But if concentrate on these two areas you will be right on target. I will further predict that you will eventually choose downtown.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:08 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
i think you'll do well. you say you are outgoing, you'll find people in cincinnati are very receptive to someone with that kind of personality. if you are coming from a non midwest or non southern city, you might be taken aback by how friendly and open people are. there is plenty to do, especially if you are living in the city and not holed up in a nice but isolated suburban apartment complex.

there is a ton to do downtown at the weekend. pro sports, bands, comedy, clubs, laid back bars, special events; i could go on and on. downtown is more and more becoming the true heart of the region, but know that it isn't quite there yet and is dead at times.

over the rhine is also a very happening place these days. it is more of an eclectic/edgy scene, but there is a lot going on.

check out city beat - CityBeat | Cincinnati News, Music, Art, Movies, Opinion, Events, Theater, Dance and Literature | - there is a "to do" tab.

if you are working near the river, it makes sense to just live down there too. you can get a nice studio or one bedroom right downtown for $1100 / month or less.

let us know a little more about your interests, what kind of environment you are comfortable in, etc. and we can perhaps be a little more helpful

Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
You might also want to look at the Mt. Adams area. It is very close to downtown, but it has a higher density of places to go for an early 20s single person than downtown in my opinion.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times
^ Actually, I don't think that's the case anymore. Downtown has probably passed up Mt. Adams in this area.

Go with Downtown, number one, you can walk to work. Number 2, you can walk to a number of bars, clubs, restaurants, etc.

A lot of lofts downtown have some very nice amenities, rooftop pools, basketball courts, outdoor grilling, tanning beds, property sanctioned get-togethers, etc.

Check out 4th & Plum and ask for Dane' at the Shillito leasing office. You're going to love it, we lived in the CBD for over 2.5 years. Plus, you'll have a streetcar connecting everything soon in a couple of years!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Aren't there a lot of places in downtown Covington just across the river? I remember my BIL living over there and having a blast.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far. I have spent most of my time on the West Coast and in the Southern US but I'm excited to live in Cincinnati, which I'm sure will be unique and fun in its own way. I know there is a lot of history to the city.

I'm also glad progmac mentioned the many things to do downtown because although I will be working long hours (and that is the main reason I am here - to work) I am also interested in doing some fun things on the weekends when I have time off. Like you mentioned, I have been told that the downtown area has been going through a big transformation over the last 5-10 years.

One question: Where is downtown, Hyde PArk/Mt. Lookout, and Mt. Adams relative to the river? That's the general area of where I will be. The loft in downtown sounds like an interesting idea. I don't plan on bringing a lot of personal items (bed, furniture, etc.) so maybe a loft/extended stay place is something I should look into.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john551 View Post
One question: Where is downtown, Hyde PArk/Mt. Lookout, and Mt. Adams relative to the river? That's the general area of where I will be. The loft in downtown sounds like an interesting idea. I don't plan on bringing a lot of personal items (bed, furniture, etc.) so maybe a loft/extended stay place is something I should look into.
The stadium area is right on the river, with downtown itself just to the North. Between the two stadiums is the Banks project which is not yet completed. There are some high-rise condoes on the East side right on the river.

Mt. Adams is just to the East of downtown, and as the name implies on top of some rather steep hills. Due to the hilly terrain street access is limited. The river side base of the hills is lined with major road arteries which blocks most direct access, but the hills are far too steep anyway.

Mt. Lookout is further to the East of downtown, with the main street artery being Columbia Parkway which runs along the river to Delta Ave. Mt. Lookout covers quite a few hilltops, some of which have river views, others which do not. Mt. Lookout Square is a little enclave of its own, but those who tout its walkability, maybe if you are a mountain goat.

Hyde Park is a little more North and just to the West of Mt. Lookout. The majority of it is far enough from the river you are on the top of the river plateau, though portions of the Southern boundary enjoy river views. Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout abutt each other.

In the downtown itself, as you go North from the business core you will encountered apartments and lofts, many of which are converted stores, office buildings, breweries, etc. This is also where you pass into the OTR district which you can find a lot of information on in this forum as to regeneration.

If you go to Google Maps and enter Cincinnati, OH you will get quite a nice map of Cincinnati. Pay particular attention to how the Ohio River snakes and loops its way through the Cincinnati area. This has a significant influence on how things ended up being developed. If you switch to the Earth View from this map, you can get a real good idea of what is going on. The hills and river make it one of the most convoluted messes you will ever want to encounter, but are also what gives Cincinnati its character.

Last edited by kjbrill; 01-04-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Great post. I took the information you mentioned on each area and did a Google Maps search of Cincinnati. That helped a lot. The river must be a distinguishing characteristic as it seems to bend quite a bit around the Ohio/Kentucky border.

What does everyone think about the Eden Park area as well? There is a Spring hill Suites and a couple of other places that are close to downtown. I'm eventually hoping to find a furnished apartment.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:25 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Eden Park is just that - a park and a relatively large one. The Cincinnati Art Museum is located within the park boundaries. Mt. Adams is on the South/West side and to the East and North you have Mt. Lookout and Hyde Park. Just about anything on the immediate boundaries of the park is going to be decent, quiet, and I believe safe. A Spring Hill Suites for a short period would be just great until you get your bearings around town.

The Ohio River is more than just a distinguishing characteristic, it defines Cincinnati. All of its twists and bends through the area, the hills which define the river valley, even the relatively flat valley to the immediate west of Cincinnati which I call the Mill Creek and which runs some 25 miles or more to the North and houses much of Cincinnati's industrial area where you will find P&G, GE Aircraft Engines, and some of the other larger employers. This area is very visible on Google Earth.

This modern ability to actually view the surroundings on the net to me is fabulous. Take your time, pan back and forth, up and down, and equate what you see to what you are being told in forums like this and others. If you put it all together you will have a good idea before you ever get here. However, I will say nothing substitutes for actually spending time in the neighborhoods themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati