Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM

118 posts, read 246,009 times

Advertisements

And, i don't think it's a bad thing, especially considering all the improvements and development downtown. It would seem that the city is stabilizing itself and that is absolutely necessary before any meaningful growth can occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:58 AM

682 posts, read 1,630,511 times
I dont know how much 'drill down' occurs with the census numbers. Frankly I think people move for a number of reasons and they dont break down who left by such things as income. I have to imagine some people have moved because of schools, some because of jobs.

I think the disturbing thing is that Indy and Columbus added population so whats the difference? Both are pro business, pro high end development. Whereas Cincinnati is a 'sanctuary city' with a government that seems to be OK with large numbers of people on assistance. But then we dont have the huge illegal immigration problems Indianapolis has.

But my takeaway is that current city policies and ideals seem to be out of sync with the marketplace, and people would prefer to live elsewhere. That's the big issue that has to be addressed along with an issue NO ONE wants to deal with and that is a combined city-county government.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 AM

Well, Columbus and Indy are both state capitols. It would be interesting to see how much their population increases are related to growing state governments.

I agree that local governments don't get it. I'm not sure they ever will and they only seem to change when forced to.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:40 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,982,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
...But my takeaway is that current city policies and ideals seem to be out of sync with the marketplace, and people would prefer to live elsewhere. That's the big issue that has to be addressed along with an issue NO ONE wants to deal with and that is a combined city-county government.
You hit the nail on the head. On both points.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:48 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yours is an interesting proposition the City is causing its own population decrease by demolition of substandard multi-unit apartments.

But since quite a bit of Federal, State, etc. money is based on population I would consider this a problem. The rejuvenation of certain areas is a positive, but I do not see how it will completely change the image of the City from declining. Look at the total numbers, they are startling. In your wildest dreams the growth from this rebirth will come up far short of the decline.

Cincinnati, and those who run it (not the residents) need to formulate a plan as to the City's existence. Start with it is the business and economic hub of the entire area, with a total population far exceeding that of the City, now almost ten-fold. Frankly, I feel those who are really in control realize this. The City must be favorable to business, not residents.
I would agree and disagree, I guess. I do think most of Ohio's major cities are revitalizing their downtowns, and in the long run, that is only a good thing, both for image and bringing population back. However, this idea that removing low income housing is the big cause of population decline... I would agree that it's not the full picture. Columbus has also demolished tons of old apartments and buildings that housed strictly low-income and actually came in quite a bit above population estimates. It is not just a flight of the poor out of the city, but a flight of everyone, not to mention not nearly enough immigration from other areas. Ohio overall has seen far less immigration than other states. City leaders, for the most part, just aren't doing enough to turn things around.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love-Cinci View Post
Well, Columbus and Indy are both state capitols. It would be interesting to see how much their population increases are related to growing state governments.

I agree that local governments don't get it. I'm not sure they ever will and they only seem to change when forced to.
I was reading in the Dispatch the other day that government jobs actually decreased by 1,200. Columbus has some advantages, like OSU and state government, but that is just not the whole picture.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 AM

854 posts, read 1,242,654 times
Quote:
Cincinnati loses 10.4% of its population over past decade according to Census Bureau — UrbanCincy

I dunno, when it comes to stats released by the federal govt there always seems to be something suspect.
The Census is an actual headcount, so there ought to be nothing suspect about it. The people who are most averse to filling out the form and sending it to the feds are those whose views are consistent with right-wing ideology, and I doubt that there are many of those living within Cincinnati's corporate limits. So I would view with suspicion any claim that Cincinnati was undercounted.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
The Census is an actual headcount, so there ought to be nothing suspect about it. The people who are most averse to filling out the form and sending it to the feds are those whose views are consistent with right-wing ideology, and I doubt that there are many of those living within Cincinnati's corporate limits. So I would view with suspicion any claim that Cincinnati was undercounted.
Quote:
During the 2010 Census count, it is estimated that only 70 percent of households responded in the City of Cincinnati which fell below the 74 percent national average. Inner city neighborhoods saw signficantly lower response rates across the state.
That's not my speculation, but the facts. Every area is under-counted by the number of people who don' participate.

And are you kidding me? You think that people who don't participate comes down to part affiliation? Whatever. We have differing views for sure, I respect that.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 AM

854 posts, read 1,242,654 times
Quote:
That's not my speculation, but the facts. Every area is under-counted by the number of people who don' participate.
When people don't fill out the form, there are Census employees who go door-to-door to check up on them. They count everyone! It's as simple as that.

But if we go by your logic, 296,000 is only 70% of Cincinnati's population, so the actual population is 422,000. Problem solved.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
When people don't fill out the form, there are Census employees who go door-to-door to check up on them. They count everyone! It's as simple as that.

But if we go by your logic, 296,000 is only 70% of Cincinnati's population, so the actual population is 422,000. Problem solved.
So that means the door to door people have tracked everyone down in the entire city limits....riiiight.

And it's not my logic but the way it is. Sorry if you are naive enough to think that EVERY soul has been counted and the census is COMPLETELY accurate.

I'm not disputing that Cincy has lost population only saying that the numbers given give a less than accurate picture of the actual population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati