Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM

118 posts, read 245,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The advocation the younger people are desiring a more urban living environment likely has some validity in fact, since many of them seem to want to believe they can return to the flower children atmosphere of the 60s. But once they find themselves pregnant and responsible for someone other than themselves it will be back to the suburbs.
A lot of young families prefer raising their children in the city, my family being one of them. You couldn't get me to live in the suburbs if you gave me a home there, although I would rent it out!

Seriously though, I live in CUF. There are a majority of college students, no doubt. But there are many families in the area who network together through the CUF Neighborhood Association and really enjoy the neighborhood and inner city living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:30 PM

526 posts, read 1,482,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Keep in mind that the census reflects the last 10 years as a whole, and may or may not be representative of current trends. It is possible that Cincinnati is currently growing, but more population was lost in the early 2000's.
No - the census shows the poplulation at a certain point in time -- not over a ten year period.
My daughter was in Columbus at OSU in the year 2000. She was counted in the Columbus census, not Green Township.
Now that she is back home, she lives in Green Township again.

As for the argument that the census always misses a number of people -- absolutely true... but that is NOT the issue.... were more people missed in the 2000 census than in the 1990 census? Probably not.

The big concept to take away from the 2000 census is not the absolute number - it is the fact that a significant number of people are choosing to move OUT of the City of Cincinnati. It would behoove the powers that be (i.e. Mayer Mallory and his ilk) to take that to heart.

And I don't care how many million dollar houses there are in Hide Park. Multi-millionares don't need to depend on community resources such as schools and even security services.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:17 PM

865 posts, read 1,473,501 times
@ The Don

I don't think you understand what I meant. The 2010 census found that Cincinnati lost 10% of it's population over the last ten years. That does not mean the city is losing population right now. For example, the city could have lost 50,000 people between 2000 and 2005, but gained 10,000 from 2005 to 2010. It is still a loss of 40,000 even though the population is currently rising. That is definitely a possibility.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:20 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
CinciFan... I believe we understood what you meant. Do you honestly believe the population of Cincinnati is currently rising?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:39 PM

865 posts, read 1,473,501 times
Quote:
CinciFan... I believe we understood what you meant. Do you honestly believe the population of Cincinnati is currently rising?
I'm just throwing out possibilities. I guess only the 2020 census will tell, but considering the census bureau had origionally predicted a gain, I'd say it's possible.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting that St. Bernard is down 11%, dropping below 5,000 and losing it's city status.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 PM

118 posts, read 245,987 times
Quote:
And does it necessarily mean that it is still declining? One could look at it either way.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 PM

682 posts, read 1,630,246 times
I can just say in my little neighborhood we are gaining people. Mostly single, your professionals and gay couples. Those people are buying houses that formerly had 6-10 people in them when they were multi family.

Obviously the people buying in OTR and other downtown areas are coming from somewhere. Because they didnt live in that neighborhood before becaiuse its new housing stock.

We came here from out of state and i know maybe 3-4 dozen people over the last few years who moved here to restore houses.

The facts are families are smaller, scvhools are not a priority for people without kids. But clearly Cincinntai needs a good private/charter schools. I can tell you that Indianapolis has a ton of charter and private schools now and people talk about IPS the same way they talk about CPS here.

Cincinnati has a higher than usual property tax 1.9%. Indiana capped property tax at 1 percent for owner occupied 2 percent for rentals. So we are at a compteitive disadvantage there. However you get so much more house here for the money.

Cincinnati pays a lot more for services than other cities much larger than us do. They have as many police officers as Indy (4 times larger) and they are paid ALOT more. Average police compensation 2010 was 74K and 109K with benefits. Cincinnati pays more for council people 74K a year vs Indy which council people are part time, and have no paid staff.

If you go out and look at the cincy govt employment site they are paying Painters 53K a year, Florists almost 40K and unlike other cities who contract out meter collections, parking attendants, and groundskeepers they are all Paid Staff who get penions here.

This SHOULD be a wakeup call to cut the size of city government, get rid of pensions for 401K's and start talking about a merged city-county government.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 PM

405 posts, read 891,667 times
Quote:

What is the projected City Income Tax collected amount and how does it break down between residents and non-residents who work in the City?

As the City population falls below 300,000, what is the ratio of people working for the City versus the City population?

OH Yes, don't forget the lion's share of property taxes is for the schools. This does not show up as income to the City,
These are good points. I'll try to research the city web site for more info.

Clearly the city is overspending and not willing to face reality about its problem. Basically I think they are mostly amateurs trying to handle a financial disaster that is challenging even for the best professionals.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:13 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Cincinnati has a higher than usual property tax 1.9%. Indiana capped property tax at 1 percent for owner occupied 2 percent for rentals. So we are at a compteitive disadvantage there. However you get so much more house here for the money.

Double check the auditor's website and I think you'll find that that rate has racheted up to 2.06% in Cincinnati.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:16 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
That seems kind of insulting. I'm certainly not blind to the severe problems facing Cincinnati, I'm just suggesting that some of the commentary on this thread seems based on very surface impressions as opposed to documentable facts. But clearly, no one else in this discussion seems interested in even wondering what the facts are, so I think it's already past time for me to bow out with the questions.
No insult intended. It's just that what is going on seems so plainly obvious that to me numbers and documentation merely will give you fun facts to share with friends at parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati