Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 13,765 times

Advertisements

I just found this website and having been a Bond Hill resident from birth in 1940 to marriage in 1964, it's fun to walk down memory lane. I went to school with Alex Johnson whose family owned Johnsons. Rem,ember the cream colored tile building front ? Can't tell you much about the family because they lived somewhere east of Reading Road and I lived near Bond Hill School on Laidlaw. The up and coming teenage drinkers could choose from The Sub, Bond Hill Cafe, and Johnsons. The other two were on California Ave...The Sub in the 1200 block just off of Paddock Road and the Cafe in the 1300 block near Goebbels Grill, Reidlinger Funeral Home, and Spina's Barber Shop. Curly Reidlinger was a 'regular' at the Bond Hill Cafe as was his dad before him. Danny McMahon owned the Cafe. I delivered the afternoon papers on California, Regent, Laidlaw, and Ryland and knew everyone. Boy those were the days. The neighborhood was so idyllic it would make June and Ward Cleaver seem like 'radicals'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 03:40 AM

14 posts, read 71,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worseck View Post
Thank you for presenting my questions to your brother. I have contacted the Cincinnati library. They say that the Williams Directory for 1940 lists a Bond Hill Fruit Market at the corner of California and Paddock (1202 California), a Kroger store at 1241 California and a Schneider Grocery Store at 1238 California between Paddock and Oakdale.
1202 California is where the 5th/3rd bank was constructed (no idea when the bank was opened there but the place certainly appeared to have been built as a bank and the building has a post-WWII look). The building is still standing although I don't recall what it is being used as these days.

1238 California is where Jo Rays pony keg was in operation in the 1960's and 70's. That building was torn down several years ago.

1241 California is across the street from 1238 (both at the corner of Oakdale) and housed an IGA in the 1960's and 70's. There is still a small market in operation in that building.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:44 AM

14 posts, read 71,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbetzing View Post
I just found this website and having been a Bond Hill resident from birth in 1940 to marriage in 1964, it's fun to walk down memory lane. I went to school with Alex Johnson whose family owned Johnsons. Rem,ember the cream colored tile building front ? Can't tell you much about the family because they lived somewhere east of Reading Road and I lived near Bond Hill School on Laidlaw. The up and coming teenage drinkers could choose from The Sub, Bond Hill Cafe, and Johnsons. The other two were on California Ave...The Sub in the 1200 block just off of Paddock Road and the Cafe in the 1300 block near Goebbels Grill, Reidlinger Funeral Home, and Spina's Barber Shop. Curly Reidlinger was a 'regular' at the Bond Hill Cafe as was his dad before him. Danny McMahon owned the Cafe. I delivered the afternoon papers on California, Regent, Laidlaw, and Ryland and knew everyone. Boy those were the days. The neighborhood was so idyllic it would make June and Ward Cleaver seem like 'radicals'.
Hi!

Don't forget the "new" bar that opened in the same building as the laundry on California Avenue. It was almost directly across from the sub and just west of Jo Rays. I believe there may have been a hair salon in that building during the 1960's too - but these days the memories aren't all clear!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:01 AM

20 posts, read 129,264 times
Default California Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box2565 View Post
1202 California is where the 5th/3rd bank was constructed (no idea when the bank was opened there but the place certainly appeared to have been built as a bank and the building has a post-WWII look). The building is still standing although I don't recall what it is being used as these days.

1238 California is where Jo Rays pony keg was in operation in the 1960's and 70's. That building was torn down several years ago.

1241 California is across the street from 1238 (both at the corner of Oakdale) and housed an IGA in the 1960's and 70's. There is still a small market in operation in that building.
Thank you for the additional information on California Ave. back in the 1940s. I am amazed how bits of information come in from various sources to help build the picture of what it was like back then.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 10,335 times
Wow, what a blast from the past! I'm new here and enjoying the stories. I'm almost mid 50's and went to Swifton Primary for kindergarten. Then to St. Agnes for grades 1-3, then to Bond Hill for grades 4 and 5. Lived on Berkely and Avonlea. Used to spend time at my cousins on Joseph St. They had 10 kids and I loved going there. Used to go to the park behind St. Agnes.

I remember the candy store, Mr B's I think we called it. Used our lunch money to go there at lunch in 4th and 5th gr from Bond Hill school.

I think there was a bakery close to White Castle. I used to walk and shop in Norwood on Worth Ave. There was a grocery, think it was Parkview or IGA. Across the street and further east was a UDF! Before that though, was a neat little store called Carters. It was owned by an older couple who had numbers from concentration camps tattooed on their arms! They sold some shoes, toys, household goods etc. I know there was also a dry cleaning shop, and a drugstore on this same side of the street. On the other side closer to Rhode Island was a shoe repair place.
Anyone else remember this stuff?

Last edited by justajean; 11-17-2008 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: error

Old 11-24-2008, 12:43 PM

76 posts, read 317,200 times
Overmann's bakery was next to White Castle on California.

Borger's was the dairy on Worth Avenue. I don't know if it later became a UDF, but in the fifties and sixties, it was Borger's. (Maybe it was spelled Boerger's.) They had good egg nog.

Carter's Variety Store was west of Borger's--it was not in the same building. Mr. Carter died in the 1970s, I believe, but Edith Carter is still alive and doing quite well. She lives in Cedar Village and is either 93 or 94. I loved their store---I went to school with the daughter and on my birthday, I was allowed to pick out a present of my choice. Once, at a birthday party at their house, Mr. Carter gave each one of us a little ID bracelet or necklace and he engraved our names right there with an electric engraving tool! The Carters lived on Northcut, close to Rhode Island.

Rexall Drugs was also on Worth Avenue and was on the SE corner of the first cross street, I believe. Traveling south on Rhode Island was Wester's Drugs (or was it Wesley?) and they had a soda fountain!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,134 times
Hi, I just read your posting about Bond Hill and Norwood. I read what you wrote about Carter's store on Worth Ave. I am their daughter and I guess I went to school with you. It was amazing to read this.
Debbie

Old 01-04-2009, 05:04 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box2565 View Post
Hi!

Don't forget the "new" bar that opened in the same building as the laundry on California Avenue. It was almost directly across from the sub and just west of Jo Rays. I believe there may have been a hair salon in that building during the 1960's too - but these days the memories aren't all clear!
If I am not mistaken, the bar had the best hamburgers. Even when I went to Bond Hill school, we would go in and get their hamburgers. I guess kids today couldn't get away with that.

Used to stop at Overman's for hot doughnuts on the way to school.

And, 5 for a quarter White Castles for lunch

Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 13,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgibb1 View Post
Overmann's bakery was next to White Castle on California.

Borger's was the dairy on Worth Avenue. I don't know if it later became a UDF, but in the fifties and sixties, it was Borger's. (Maybe it was spelled Boerger's.) They had good egg nog.

Carter's Variety Store was west of Borger's--it was not in the same building. Mr. Carter died in the 1970s, I believe, but Edith Carter is still alive and doing quite well. She lives in Cedar Village and is either 93 or 94. I loved their store---I went to school with the daughter and on my birthday, I was allowed to pick out a present of my choice. Once, at a birthday party at their house, Mr. Carter gave each one of us a little ID bracelet or necklace and he engraved our names right there with an electric engraving tool! The Carters lived on Northcut, close to Rhode Island.

Rexall Drugs was also on Worth Avenue and was on the SE corner of the first cross street, I believe. Traveling south on Rhode Island was Wester's Drugs (or was it Wesley?) and they had a soda fountain!!!
You are right...it was Wester's Drugs....the full name was Westerhelwig but shortened for convenience.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:19 PM

4 posts, read 12,845 times
Wester's Drugs was my grandfather's store. My mother is a Westerhelweg. I believe my aunt still has the soda fountain.

Can anyone tell me when Wester's opened? We have been trying to figure out the date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati