Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times

Advertisements

I have seen your posts before, and I witnessed you bashing Indiana and Ohio quite often, this thread comes as no suprise. At the same time, in the Cincy sub-forum, you will notice no one talks about Lexington or Louisville, or the rest of Kentucky for that matter because no one generally cares for it around here. We appreciate the attention you give Ohio, though.

You just don't get what people are trying to tell you, do you? Lexington and Louisville take up huge areas, hence, why their populations are so large. Cincy takes up 78 square miles, let us take up over 284 square miles like Lexington and then we can talk about population numbers. If Cincinnati did what Louisville did (merge the whole city with the entire county), you are talking about over 800,000 people ranking us in the top 15 most populated cities. But you also mention Cleveland and Columbus. Ok, let's add them into the mix too. Lets say Cleveland merges with Cuyahoga County, attomatic 1.2 million people, and Columbus with Franklin County... bam! 1.1 million people. Cleveland takes up 77 square miles, and Cincy takes up 78 square miles and are still larger than Lexington in which is over 200 square miles larger! Bring in density factors, and Lexington is like living in Wyoming compared to Cincy and Cleveland. Cleveland has over 5,100 people per square mile, while Cincy is over 4,300 per square mile; Lexington barely passes the 1,000 mark.

You talk about the government sending money to the cities, well once again, that is all a matter of the city annexing and taking in a county-wide merger. If Cincinnati did that with the over 800,000, you bet we would be racking in a lot more cash. But even with the new census numbers out, and Cincinnati still being over 200 square miles smaller than Lexington, we still have more people. And density shows. Lexington's downtown is far from impressive, and vacant lots of parking dot the downtown. I have been along west high and west vine with all those surface lots dotting downtown. Even some lots next to their tallest buildings, right smack next to them, and I am not talking about parking garages, but surface lots. It doesn't help that a lot of Lexington's projects stalled out because of the economy and they knocked down buildings for one skyscraper. Of course Lexington is a newer city and doesn't have the density and urban canyons like downtown Cincinnati has, but they are almost equal in population. Not to mention the urban neighborhoods in which Cincinnati has plenty of and they are bustling with life, and once again, you see the density when you look up on the hills.

Before Louisville merged with Jefferson County, it was declining, and doing so fast. Louisville had about 250,000 people before it merged I believe. They merged with Jefferson County and now have over 740,000 people. Louisville is a decent city, but downtown still has a lot of surface lots south of the CBD, and lacks pedestrian activity after 5. Plus, a lot of stalled projects equal a disapointing building environment. I am just glad they didn't build that new tallest they were talking about, talk about ugly.

Anyway, maybe now you get it. If Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus did a county merger, they would be much larger. It is easy for a city to boost its population numbers that way. Outside of the few neighborhoods (and they are nice ones at that) that Louisville has, good luck finding Mount Adams, Over The Rhines, Gaslight, German Village, Short North, Ohio City, Tremont, etc in Kentucky. I don't mean to bash Kentucky, but I have seen what you have said about Ohio, and it is far from nice. And like I stated before, this thread is not suprising from you. But at the same time, you can thank Cincinnati for not being another sleepy river town like so many in Kentucky, or having the second best skyline in the state after Louisville. Kentucky has a 10.2% unemployment rate compared to Ohio's 8.9%, and poverty runs rampant in most parts of the state. I was just reading how Kentucky was one of the most miserable states. Take those damn lists as you will, but having visited many sections of the state, and seeing the lack of oppurtunities, education, urban living, infrastructure, etc... I can see why it is. There are a lot of great people in Kentucky, but when someone consistantly bashes Ohio and then comes in here with a thread like this, of course someone is going to call their state out on its faults.

Have a good one. And I do look forward to further discussion. Just remember fyi, city land area, density, county merger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post

5. Both Lexington (260,512 pop.) and Louisville (256,231 pop.) in Kentucky are towns of more than a quarter of a million people -- compare to Cincinnati (331,285 pop.).
Actually, Cincinnati's population is 296,943. Its population decreased by 10.4% since 2000. That gives it a density of 3809psm.

Lexington's population is now
295,803 - which is an increase of 13.5% over the past decade. Yes, it covers much more land than Cincinnati, but its density is only 1042psm, which isn't even 1/3 that of Cincinnati. So it's going to take a while for that density to catch up with more urban cities.

Last edited by insightofitall; 05-16-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillytoCincy View Post
I have seen your posts before, and I witnessed you bashing Indiana and Ohio quite often, this thread comes as no suprise. At the same time, in the Cincy sub-forum, you will notice no one talks about Lexington or Louisville, or the rest of Kentucky for that matter because no one generally cares for it around here. We appreciate the attention you give Ohio, though.

You just don't get what people are trying to tell you, do you? Lexington and Louisville take up huge areas, hence, why their populations are so large. Cincy takes up 78 square miles, let us take up over 284 square miles like Lexington and then we can talk about population numbers. If Cincinnati did what Louisville did (merge the whole city with the entire county), you are talking about over 800,000 people ranking us in the top 15 most populated cities. But you also mention Cleveland and Columbus. Ok, let's add them into the mix too. Lets say Cleveland merges with Cuyahoga County, attomatic 1.2 million people, and Columbus with Franklin County... bam! 1.1 million people. Cleveland takes up 77 square miles, and Cincy takes up 78 square miles and are still larger than Lexington in which is over 200 square miles larger! Bring in density factors, and Lexington is like living in Wyoming compared to Cincy and Cleveland. Cleveland has over 5,100 people per square mile, while Cincy is over 4,300 per square mile; Lexington barely passes the 1,000 mark.

You talk about the government sending money to the cities, well once again, that is all a matter of the city annexing and taking in a county-wide merger. If Cincinnati did that with the over 800,000, you bet we would be racking in a lot more cash. But even with the new census numbers out, and Cincinnati still being over 200 square miles smaller than Lexington, we still have more people. And density shows. Lexington's downtown is far from impressive, and vacant lots of parking dot the downtown. I have been along west high and west vine with all those surface lots dotting downtown. Even some lots next to their tallest buildings, right smack next to them, and I am not talking about parking garages, but surface lots. It doesn't help that a lot of Lexington's projects stalled out because of the economy and they knocked down buildings for one skyscraper. Of course Lexington is a newer city and doesn't have the density and urban canyons like downtown Cincinnati has, but they are almost equal in population. Not to mention the urban neighborhoods in which Cincinnati has plenty of and they are bustling with life, and once again, you see the density when you look up on the hills.

Before Louisville merged with Jefferson County, it was declining, and doing so fast. Louisville had about 250,000 people before it merged I believe. They merged with Jefferson County and now have over 740,000 people. Louisville is a decent city, but downtown still has a lot of surface lots south of the CBD, and lacks pedestrian activity after 5. Plus, a lot of stalled projects equal a disapointing building environment. I am just glad they didn't build that new tallest they were talking about, talk about ugly.

Anyway, maybe now you get it. If Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus did a county merger, they would be much larger. It is easy for a city to boost its population numbers that way. Outside of the few neighborhoods (and they are nice ones at that) that Louisville has, good luck finding Mount Adams, Over The Rhines, Gaslight, German Village, Short North, Ohio City, Tremont, etc in Kentucky. I don't mean to bash Kentucky, but I have seen what you have said about Ohio, and it is far from nice. And like I stated before, this thread is not suprising from you. But at the same time, you can thank Cincinnati for not being another sleepy river town like so many in Kentucky, or having the second best skyline in the state after Louisville. Kentucky has a 10.2% unemployment rate compared to Ohio's 8.9%, and poverty runs rampant in most parts of the state. I was just reading how Kentucky was one of the most miserable states. Take those damn lists as you will, but having visited many sections of the state, and seeing the lack of oppurtunities, education, urban living, infrastructure, etc... I can see why it is. There are a lot of great people in Kentucky, but when someone consistantly bashes Ohio and then comes in here with a thread like this, of course someone is going to call their state out on its faults.

Have a good one. And I do look forward to further discussion. Just remember fyi, city land area, density, county merger.

FYI: I'm a Buckeye, born and bred, except for a multitude of summers and holidays in western Indiana. Among other things, the personal cemetery plot is in Kettering, Ohio.

Just because I have an apartment in Covington, KY, doesn't make me any less of a Buckeye. A good ten percent of the people in the apartment building are from Ohio. The south bank is suburbs of Cincinnati, and in that respect no different than any other collection of suburbs.

And, in case you don't understand it, Kettering, Ohio, is Dayton, Ohio. Every once in a while they even admit it.

It's a shame there's no smiley with a big enough grin.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:46 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Quote:
FYI: I'm a Buckeye, born and bred, except for a multitude of summers and holidays in western Indiana. Among other things, the personal cemetery plot is in Kettering, Ohio.

Just because I have an apartment in Covington, KY, doesn't make me any less of a Buckeye. A good ten percent of the people in the apartment building are from Ohio. The south bank is suburbs of Cincinnati, and in that respect no different than any other collection of suburbs.

And, in case you don't understand it, Kettering, Ohio, is Dayton, Ohio. Every once in a while they even admit it.

It's a shame there's no smiley with a big enough grin.
I don't need any geography lesson from you, pal. I lived in Beavercreek before moving to Cincinnati. And exactly right, Covington is a suburb of Cincinnati, and if it wasn't for Cincinnati, it really wouldn't be much of anything but a sleepy river town. Covington owes a majority of its success to Cincy.

There are a lot of native folks from Kentucky living over here in Ohio, too. Go up to Columbus, it has a huge influence from people from the Kentucky and West Virginia areas. My point being, you have said many bad things about Ohio before (I don't care if you are originally from here or not) that weren't warranted. But hey, you have your opinion, but I would point out the facts. Kentucky's economy is worse, has a far higher unemployment rate, poverty is much worse, infrastructure isn't as extensive, etc. Of course all of that comes with the territory and history. All in all, I know and work with plenty of great folks from the commonwealth, but when you want to talk about "stunning" population facts, I will point out the real facts and why they are the way they are.

Give Cincy the same land area as Lexington or do uni gov, and Cincinnati has well over 800,000 fine people. Population lies behind many factors.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillytoCincy View Post
I don't need any geography lesson from you, pal. I lived in Beavercreek before moving to Cincinnati. And exactly right, Covington is a suburb of Cincinnati, and if it wasn't for Cincinnati, it really wouldn't be much of anything but a sleepy river town. Covington owes a majority of its success to Cincy.

There are a lot of native folks from Kentucky living over here in Ohio, too. Go up to Columbus, it has a huge influence from people from the Kentucky and West Virginia areas. My point being, you have said many bad things about Ohio before (I don't care if you are originally from here or not) that weren't warranted. But hey, you have your opinion, but I would point out the facts. Kentucky's economy is worse, has a far higher unemployment rate, poverty is much worse, infrastructure isn't as extensive, etc. Of course all of that comes with the territory and history. All in all, I know and work with plenty of great folks from the commonwealth, but when you want to talk about "stunning" population facts, I will point out the real facts and why they are the way they are.

Give Cincy the same land area as Lexington or do uni gov, and Cincinnati has well over 800,000 fine people. Population lies behind many factors.

Go up to Columbus to find Kentucky in Ohio?

Did you ever set foot in Dayton?

Old 05-22-2011, 02:30 AM

125 posts, read 262,670 times
Quote:
Go up to Columbus to find Kentucky in Ohio?

Did you ever set foot in Dayton?

There's a sign on Parsons Ave just south of Nationwide Hospital as you enter the southside of Columbus that says, "Gateway to the South" and it's very fitting. There are many people with Appalachian and Kentucky roots in South Columbus.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:38 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Those stats are totally irrelevant.

Cincinnati and its suburbs and 2 million people extend into three states 7 counties and what, 100 towns and villages?

Lexington and Louisville (nice as they are) are out in the middle of nowhere.
Not sure what you mean by Louisville out in the middle of no where
I have driven thru Louisville and although its smaller compared to some places it does not appear to be sitting alone on an island.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
I just checked "Maps 'n' Stats" (no links allowed) for something, and to my absolute amazement:

1. Columbus is the biggest city in the state.

2. Cleveland itself has less than a half of a million in population.

4. Dayton, with it's meager 166,179 population left, is still sixth in size in the state and fourth on the list of "top places."

5. Both Lexington (260,512 pop.) and Louisville (256,231 pop.) in Kentucky are towns of more than a quarter of a million people -- compare to Cincinnati (331,285 pop.).

While there is about 75,000 difference between Cincinnati and down in Kentucky, that ain't much, particularly when you consider that Lexington is not even listed among the top places. (In other words, they got nothing of substantial interest.)
can you please type in the web address i tried to google maps and stats
maps n stats etc..

Old 05-22-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen35 View Post
That's not looking at metropolitan areas. Columbus has a larger area that is incorporated as the city vs Cincy which has more in the suburbs. Not really a stat that is that meaningful unless you look at metro area to really understand the size of a city...Newer cities tend to have larger land masses as they developed later so they could make their cities larger and get more tax revenues. Check out the size of Jacksonville, FL for example...
Kiind of surprised Jacksonville FL only had a metro of 1.3mill
Jacksonville, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you think about the numbers that is pretty small espicially considering the population of fl.

just kind of surprised me i always thought it was bigger than that.

just seems to me after you take into consideration the top 5 or 6 metros it drops off and then there is a pack of areas around the 2 milion mark for a metro area

Old 05-22-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowingdown View Post
There's a sign on Parsons Ave just south of Nationwide Hospital as you enter the southside of Columbus that says, "Gateway to the South" and it's very fitting. There are many people with Appalachian and Kentucky roots in South Columbus.
Thank you.

PhillytoCincy lists location as Blue Ash and has said formerly Beavercreek.

Walk through a parking lot in downtown Cincinnati. You will probably find that about a fourth of the license plates on the cars are Kentucky license plates. I can find Kentucky in downtown Cincinnati right across the river, so can you and anyone else.

PhillytoCincy evidently wanted to remove things from such a close connection. Dayton (reference Beavercreek) is about 50 miles away and last I heard (some time ago) was about 20% mountain people. There are things like Bluegrass festivals. If the message be from "formerly Beavercreek," one has to wonder if there was any venturing out of Beavercreek or for that matter is there any venturing out of Blue Ash.

I didn't do any Cincinnati "bashing" as was claimed. And, just incidentally, I spent close to ten years in Cincinnati. A suitable apartment happened to turn up in Covington.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati