Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:46 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times

Advertisements

^I'm sort of the same way after living in Arizona. I've come to enjoy dreary/cloudy days because I get sick of the sunshine (believe it or not) after a while.

Although I am entertaining the thought of moving to Denver eventually, so there's that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 AM

135 posts, read 230,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospel hockey love View Post
i moved here in 2000 from northeastern pa and initially, my allergies improved. but after that honeymoon period, they've gotten incredibly bad. i now have "acute allergic asthma" and go to the hospital 4-6x a year for severe asthma attacks. the humidity (which, this summer and the last, got drastically worse at night), smog, incredible amount of ragweed (the highest concentration of it in north america, according to a former allergist of mine) and stale air are too much for me to handle. i finally reached the point where i decided i need to move somewhere healthier for me. portland and san diego have been at the top of my list, but my mental issues may not be able to handle pdx's constant rain and overcast skies. but with all the chronic health problems i have, i'm seriously considering at least a temporary move to columbus. according to last year's EPA comparisons, the air quality is drastically better in cbus than it is here. and according to the national asthma rankings, pollen is lower in cbus than it is in cincy. but... they rated cincy as better for asthma than cbus. i don't know what to make of that.

as stated before, the valley here and the river act as a humidity trap. it's so bad that, as far as i know, the Indians never settled here. i think that pretty much says it all when it comes to local air quality.

btw, hello!
Since you are from Northeast PA (which is cloudier than Cincinnati btw), you will feel right at home in gloomy Portland, OR.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
^I'm sort of the same way after living in Arizona. I've come to enjoy dreary/cloudy days because I get sick of the sunshine (believe it or not) after a while.

Although I am entertaining the thought of moving to Denver eventually, so there's that...
It's a great city - one of my three favorites (Cincy, Denver, NYC). You'll love it should you decide to move there.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:45 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
I've yet to hear anything bad about it in the four months I've considered/talked about moving. Compared to Arizona, the job market there looks downright fantastic, and I'd actually be going down in elevation (Flagstaff sits at 7000 feet).

Back on topic, though: I love the way Cincinnati looks in the rain. Very, how do I put this, "noir"-ish?

Old 11-18-2011, 02:51 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
I absolutely love the 4 seasons, which is why I refuse to move to Florida. But sometimes the weather can get me down. If it is 90 or above with a relative humidity the same, at my age, 72, there is no way I am going to play golf. I can endure cold, 60 degrees and dry is prime golf weather to me. Everyone to their likes or dislikes, but if the weather does not change around me during the year I begin to wonder if I am still alive.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:13 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I absolutely love the 4 seasons, which is why I refuse to move to Florida. But sometimes the weather can get me down. If it is 90 or above with a relative humidity the same, at my age, 72, there is no way I am going to play golf. I can endure cold, 60 degrees and dry is prime golf weather to me. Everyone to their likes or dislikes, but if the weather does not change around me during the year I begin to wonder if I am still alive.
I echo your sentiments about the cooler weather. I'd much rather have a cloudy, dry day in the 60s...or even with some rain...as opposed to a bright sunny, humid day in the 80s or higher. Thinking about it, I'd probably do just fine in Portland, Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati