Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times

Advertisements

A fair warning, I am going back over 50 years which may be too much for many of you.

My grandparents both lived in Silverton, one on Sibley Ave off Blue Ash Rd and the other on Superior off Plainfield. Where Barresi's Italian Restaurant on Webster is now was a small neighborhood grocery (more like a deli/carryout) and next to it a Pony-Keg (1/4 barrel of draft beer). Across the street next to the railroad was a coal and lumber yard, where A&P later built a market.

But here is my question. At the intersection of Sibley and Blue Ash the north corner was a bar/grill. The south corner was a drug store and next to it the Krispy Kreme bakery I mentioned in an earlier post. Going north at the southeast corner of Webster and Plainfield was another neighborhood market.

In between there was an ice cream store. It sat back from the road so it had some off-street parking. I have been trying to rack my brain as to the name. The closest I have come up with is Trautman's. I believe it was an independent but do not know for sure whether they made their own product. I just remember it was very good and the people so great with kids. The last time I drove by I believe the building is now a dry cleaners, in fact one which specializes in cleaning and preserving leather.

Anyone out there who can identify the ice cream store I am speaking of. In the great mix of things it matters very little, but to me it is a reminder of when this country offered opportunity to most of its citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 PM

205 posts, read 983,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
A fair warning, I am going back over 50 years which may be too much for many of you.

My grandparents both lived in Silverton, one on Sibley Ave off Blue Ash Rd and the other on Superior off Plainfield. Where Barresi's Italian Restaurant on Webster is now was a small neighborhood grocery (more like a deli/carryout) and next to it a Pony-Keg (1/4 barrel of draft beer). Across the street next to the railroad was a coal and lumber yard, where A&P later built a market.

But here is my question. At the intersection of Sibley and Blue Ash the north corner was a bar/grill. The south corner was a drug store and next to it the Krispy Kreme bakery I mentioned in an earlier post. Going north at the southeast corner of Webster and Plainfield was another neighborhood market.

In between there was an ice cream store. It sat back from the road so it had some off-street parking. I have been trying to rack my brain as to the name. The closest I have come up with is Trautman's. I believe it was an independent but do not know for sure whether they made their own product. I just remember it was very good and the people so great with kids. The last time I drove by I believe the building is now a dry cleaners, in fact one which specializes in cleaning and preserving leather.

Anyone out there who can identify the ice cream store I am speaking of. In the great mix of things it matters very little, but to me it is a reminder of when this country offered opportunity to most of its citizens.
Sounds like it might have been Boerger's. There was one on Plainfield right around there.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
Sounds like it might have been Boerger's. There was one on Plainfield right around there.
What year are you speaking of? 1950s, 1970s, or later? The one I am referencing was 1950s or pre. I graduated high school in 1957 and am not sure it was still there.I am just reminiscing about conditions back then when an ice cream parlor could be a stalwart of the neighbornood. From what I understand Boerger's was also a great place, but maybe a couple of decades or more after what I am referencing.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:49 PM

205 posts, read 983,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
What year are you speaking of? 1950s, 1970s, or later? The one I am referencing was 1950s or pre. I graduated high school in 1957 and am not sure it was still there.I am just reminiscing about conditions back then when an ice cream parlor could be a stalwart of the neighbornood. From what I understand Boerger's was also a great place, but maybe a couple of decades or more after what I am referencing.
I went to St John's in the late 50's and it was there then. It sounds like it was right around where you describe although I don't remember off street parking.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
I went to St John's in the late 50's and it was there then. It sounds like it was right around where you describe although I don't remember off street parking.
You may very well be right. What research I can find indicates Boerger Dary Farms was located in what is now Amberley Village, did operate suburban stores, and ice cream was their specialty. One 1967 article I ran into referenced a fire on Miami Ave. in Madeira where I grew up and stated an objective was to protect the Boerger Dairy store and the 5&Dime next to it. I remember the 5&Dime but not Boergers, though I definitely was living there at that time.

Speaking of dairies, I remember the Vonderhaar Dairy in Evandale. Like many other larger local dairies they ran their own home milk delivery service back in the day when the neighborhood milkman and bakery delivery trucks were fixtures. What I remember most was the design of their milk bottles, tall with a long thin neck. The cream would rise to the top in the neck and my parents syphoned it off for their coffee.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:59 PM

9 posts, read 28,644 times
Default silverton etc

Skyline used to be there and also Rexall drugs and itianette pizza and albers..plainfield road rocks alos tom and marty meats!!!! yeah

Old 11-26-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisse8 View Post
Skyline used to be there and also Rexall drugs and itianette pizza and albers..plainfield road rocks alos tom and marty meats!!!! yeah
I believe you are referencing the southern end of Plainfield, below the Y splitting Plainfield and Blue Ash roads down to Montgomery Rd. I remember the Albers store as my mother's cousin was a cashier there. Now we are going back a number of years, when did Albers succumb? I certainly remember the original Perkins bakery before they expanded and developed the Perkins restaurant chain. When I was very young, I remember the nice lady in Perkins Bakery who always gave me a cookie when we shopped there. We are now talking over 65 years ago.

And Tom & Marty's Meats - what a great place. Years later, after they had separated, I bought freezer sides from Marty at the butcher shop he founded in Montgomery. I was married then.

Since both of my grandparents lived in Silverton/Deer Park, my memories will go up and through the sixties.

The retiree group I am part of still has some of their monthly luncheon get-togethers at Chicken-On-The-Run on Ohio Ave. in Deer Park. What a throw back place that is. Us old codgers definitely fit in there.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:47 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Wasn't there a "Dorothy Potts Dance Studio" somewhere up on Ohio Ave. around Superior or Lansdowne back in the "50s?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Wasn't there a "Dorothy Potts Dance Studio" somewhere up on Ohio Ave. around Superior or Lansdowne back in the "50s?
Someone else needs to answer that, as by the 50s I was in Madeira with my grandparents in Deer Park.

But I have a question maybe someone can answer. At the southwest corner of Superior and Ohio Ave. was an independent grocery. I know for years it operated as Judy's Market. What I am searching for is the name of the prior family who operated it before they retired and sold out to their employee Judy. I believe it was something like Weede or similar. My parents dealt with the original and then Judy for several years after we moved to Madeira.

My father had his Friday afternoon ritual. Go to the Silveton Bank and perform the transactions, both business and personal my mother had established. Then go to the market on Ohio Ave. and bring home the order she had phoned in.

Then for a number of years we all bought freezer beef from Tom & Martys in Silverton. When they separated and Marty went to Montgomery we followed him there. Bought a lot of sides of freezer beef from Marty over the years, including when we moved to Mason.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:54 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Default Heel, toe, heel, toe, slide slide slide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Yes! "Potts dancing school" was a Cincinnati preppie ritual back in the day. She had her Silverton studio, but also contracted out to interested groups. Who's to thank (or blame) for sponsoring her in Wyoming I never knew. I passed many a Saturday evening during my seventh- and eighth-grade years in the big function room at the local Civic Center courtesy of her. "Ladies" in their dresses and white gloves - no lie - were seated along one wall, "gentlemen" in their jackets and ties along the opposite wall. For Dorothy didn't miss a detail. You not only learned the fine points of the waltz, cha-cha, foxtrot, etc. You also were schooled on how to ask for the next dance, to cut in, and so on. There were even chaperones each time - the parents of a boy and of a girl. All of this seemed a colossal waste of time for us kids. After all, the only dancing on TV was people shakin' their stuff all over the place with no one in particular. Of course as life went on the etiquette and steps sure came in handy.
This was during the early '70s. Once, when Goyguy Sr mentioned Dorothy Potts and my taking classes from her to a co-worker, the woman - in her fifties - gasped, "She still exists?!!! " It seems that Mrs Potts had been well established for a long time. But apparently she wasn't around much longer after my years under her guidance. She could still move on the dance floor like nobody's business, but her head of white hair betrayed that she wouldn't be doing that for a whole lot longer.

Back on thread track - I wonder if kjbrill might be recalling a Trauth Dairy stand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati