U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2011, 08:00 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,241 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've recently decided to make the move from the Kentucky side of the river to the Ohio side. With that being said myself and 4 friends of mine have decided to sign a lease in Evanston. The house we are renting is a fairly nice house thats recently been remodeled. It is located on the block between Dana and Clarion.

From what I have seen the area south west on Montgomery looks to be less then desirable. I have pretty tough skin and don't really feel intimidtaed by the area. Having lived in an urban campus in Lexington Kentucky not called UK I am accustomed to living in some of the more "lively" or "interesting" areas of town.

My real question is simply for peace of mind of myself and especially one of our roomates. Is this are of Evanston on the nicer end. Our thought were that it's location near the old firehouse, and Xavier University and Dana Avenue were in such a situation that its probably one of the better areas of the city.

Is this at all acuurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA
4,730 posts, read 10,936,243 times
Reputation: 6450
Evanston is one of those typical urban communities where anything can change from block to block and often does. But Dana Ave is definitely at the "better" end. The only major trouble spot is on the opposite side of the neighborhood where Montgomery Rd makes a couple of bends to become Gilbert Ave. Some storefronts on Montgomery would look better occupied than boarded-up and dilapidated, to be sure, but the surrounding residential blocks are relatively well maintained as a rule. Most of the "criminal activity" is your garden-variety drug dealing and occasional mugging, with homicides happening between people who know each other. (And the "crescent" centered around Gilbert/Montgomery and Woodburn is where all that goes on the most.)

The "urban removal" that's taken place between Dana and Cleneay makes the area seem (and probably also be) more foreboding. But that's a temporary condition. Once XU's redevelopment is completed there will be a positive ripple effect in all directions. In the meantime, everybody should keep their wits and street smarts in place whenever they're out at night. During the daylight hours there ought to be no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati near
2,509 posts, read 3,353,735 times
Reputation: 5610
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The "urban removal" that's taken place between Dana and Cleneay makes the area seem (and probably also be) more foreboding. But that's a temporary condition. Once XU's redevelopment is completed there will be a positive ripple effect in all directions.

The area being developed that is bounded by Xavier, Dana, Montgomery, and Cleneay was never residential. It was light industrial and warehouses. Personally I think it looks better now than it did before. By 2013 it should have offices, a hotel, restaurants, and a new athletic center.

There is quiet a bit of criminal activity that goes on in Evanston, but for the most part the violence is not random at all. It is, however, quite bad when it comes to vehicle break-ins. Recently Xavier police arranged some sort of joint jurisdiction with Cincinnati and Norwood PD's so that they can patrol off campus near XU and they seem to be intent on really cracking down, so if you are close enough to campus you may see an increased police presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Green Township
329 posts, read 564,323 times
Reputation: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Evanston is one of those typical urban communities where anything can change from block to block and often does. But Dana Ave is definitely at the "better" end. The only major trouble spot is on the opposite side of the neighborhood where Montgomery Rd makes a couple of bends to become Gilbert Ave. Some storefronts on Montgomery would look better occupied than boarded-up and dilapidated, to be sure, but the surrounding residential blocks are relatively well maintained as a rule. Most of the "criminal activity" is your garden-variety drug dealing and occasional mugging, with homicides happening between people who know each other. (And the "crescent" centered around Gilbert/Montgomery and Woodburn is where all that goes on the most.)

The "urban removal" that's taken place between Dana and Cleneay makes the area seem (and probably also be) more foreboding. But that's a temporary condition. Once XU's redevelopment is completed there will be a positive ripple effect in all directions. In the meantime, everybody should keep their wits and street smarts in place whenever they're out at night. During the daylight hours there ought to be no problems.
I wouldn't suggest moving to Evanston, I actually own a home on Clarion (odd coincidence) and am trying to remodel it to sell it for more. In the last year alone it has been broken into 4 times and copper piping has been stolen along with other valuables.

Also, I have a black worker who carries a knife in case there is trouble and he has been mugged outside of the house, making him not want to go back . \

I would suggest moving further up Montgomery if that is what appeals to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
3,335 posts, read 5,729,032 times
Reputation: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post

Also, I have a black worker who carries a knife in case there is trouble and he has been mugged outside of the house, making him not want to go back . \
.
Ughhhhhhhhh. On another topic, you really shouldn't use copper when remodeling a house in some areas. People will screw up $2000 worth of work to get to $10 worth of copper.

OP - It sounds like you know what you are getting into and yes, that is a nicer area of Evanston, plenty of XU students, etc. My wife used to work in the area and rode the bus every day from Walnut Hills to Dana at Montgomery. I have a friend that lives in the general area you are talking about. Some of his neighbors are drug dealers and some of his neighbors are grad students and others urban pioneer types. Variety keeps things interesting. He doesn't feel as though he is any danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 07:43 AM
 
2,886 posts, read 3,952,248 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Ughhhhhhhhh. On another topic, you really shouldn't use copper when remodeling a house in some areas. People will screw up $2000 worth of work to get to $10 worth of copper.

OP - It sounds like you know what you are getting into and yes, that is a nicer area of Evanston, plenty of XU students, etc. My wife used to work in the area and rode the bus every day from Walnut Hills to Dana at Montgomery. I have a friend that lives in the general area you are talking about. Some of his neighbors are drug dealers and some of his neighbors are grad students and others urban pioneer types. Variety keeps things interesting. He doesn't feel as though he is any danger.
Not at all seeking to argue with you, only to point out that the OP indicated he's lived in an area in Lexington which is comparable. I think he may be in for a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA
4,730 posts, read 10,936,243 times
Reputation: 6450
Copper is such a hot commodity now that no building anywhere isn't at risk of theft. And vacant houses in urban neighborhoods are routinely targeted no matter what their condition. There are probably not too many fewer "scrappers" out there than people with shopping carts scavenging for empties they can turn in to recycle. As I've predicted for some time, Evanston is ripe for gentrification and it seems that this is starting to come to pass. Naturally, anybody with larcenous intent is well aware of what changes like this bring: houses "upgraded" with materials that can be swiped and resold, cars on the street with GPS's and other goodies left in plain sight, etc. But again, no place is completely immune from property crimes. When one of my teenage nephews left a vehicle in the driveway unlocked one night, by the family's McMansion at the outer fringes of Hamilton County, his mom discovered the following morning that it'd been cleaned out. I don't see incidents like that as a reason to dissuade someone from moving to Symmes Twp any more than to Evanston.

I agree with Sarah, having spent time on the "shady side" of Lexington, that the OP ain't seen nothin' yet. Of course the same could be said for a Cincinnatian yet to visit Chicago's South Side, The Bronx, eastern Detroit, etc. But Evanston is a day at the beach compared to certain other parts of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,241 times
Reputation: 10
Default Thanks for the replies

Yes speaking with our landlord when he remodeled the same happened in the basement of the house we are moving into. Someone had broken in and stripped the copper from the furnace unit. Luckily it was a mid 1950's unit he was going to replace anyway... however still a pain. Our main worries I guess would be with cars. None of uis are driving super expensive cars. Mostly newer model GM's from the last 3 or 4 years. None of us have after market stereo's etc or keep our GPS devices, cell phones or wallets in them. (Having made that mistake and having a car sun roof permanantly destroyed I won't be making that mistake again.)

The area in Lexington Ky was actually pretty bad. Local police that we spoke with said anything around us was adequately called "the pharmacy".

I've had the chance to speak with some police officer's that come by the workplace from time to time and the main thing he said was that, ,other then drug trafficking it's not terrible. He also mentioned most of the home invasions and robberies that occur are drug related. They don't go after random houses very often. I am on fairly comfotable with the area in daytime. Having stood outside nothing struck me as being out of the ordinary for an urban environment to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,241 times
Reputation: 10
Default @goyguy

Where did you live at in Lexington... I was just down from Transyvania University off 7th street for my last year down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 AM
 
2,886 posts, read 3,952,248 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby22788 View Post
Where did you live at in Lexington... I was just down from Transyvania University off 7th street for my last year down there.
In Eastland in a neighborhood that took a turn for the worse. Then on Centre Pky. in a neighborhood that took a turn for the worse. The latter was my lesson about how large Section 8 complexes affect neighborhoods. Luckily those were both rentals. Then we owned a house in Gardenside for many years. I go back once a year for a medical appointment, and that area has mostly held its own, although it's probably not what it once was, either. Lexington's sprawl hasn't done the older neighborhoods any favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top