Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM

14 posts, read 18,949 times

Advertisements

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry?
. What specific topic have you not found answers to?
are there other areas that have as good as a reputation as Mason for schools and family friendly feel that would be closer to my husband's work site, North Bend, OH
. Where is you current location and environment? surburb/smaller community feel in the western US
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? something similar

. Where will your work location be? North Bend
. Maximum commute time desired? one hour

. What is you budget for housing? around 300k, due to large amount of monthly healthcare costs, our house budget doesn't really reflect our income level---i only bring this up because i'd like to live around other families that have a background in higher education, etc., but still not the over the top, keeping up with the jones feeling---hard to explain via internet.

. Rent or buy? buy
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) single family
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) not huge, but need 4 bedrooms, plus main floor office/study
. Other specifics? a fenced in yard is an absolute, but I realize we will most likely have to add this in or work into the offer

. Neighborhood environment? friendly, takes care of their yard
. Urban, young professional, nightlife not even on our radar!
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere
. Family oriented yes to all of these
. Lots of same age kids, activities yes
. Great schools yes, we have 5 children, the oldest three in elementary school, oldest son to be in middle school, our 3-yr old has special needs, an excellent special ed preschool is a big plus, also currently we spend over $1500 a month out of pocket on private in home behavioral/learning therapy, so I would like an area that I felt like we could find qualified, on the ball college aged young adults to hire for this therapy.
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character not a priority
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready yes, we're not really in the position to have a lot of home projects in the works
. Diversity of income, race, housing? don't have strong preferences
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) i would like a third to a half of an acre
. Very safe, low crime area? yes!
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much? no
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities

. Schools?
. Not applicable
. High Ranked Public schools yes
. Small or large district? i don't care, as long as it's well run
. Diverse student body? either way is fine with me
. Strong athletics? my oldest two love rec basketball, but we haven't entered the school sports phase yet
. Consider Private schools? depending on the cost!
. Special considerations? my 3rd grader is currently in gifted and talented & our preschooler has profound hearing loss (has cochlear implants) and is on the autism spectrum

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
. Town/city community center for adults & kids
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs
. Close promity to public transportation?
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues
. Jogging & biking trails
. Other? honestly, right now our children are at very demanding ages, so we don't get out very much, but community basketball would be nice.

. Specific wants/desires?
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.
-would like suburb feel, not too small, not too big---we lived in a small town for 5 years and it was too difficult with a child with special healthcare needs, and just the overall lack of convenience. so, i don't want to repeat that experience, however i think it would be difficult for my children to transition from suburb feel (what we are currently in) into a major city feel. hope this all makes sense!
thanks for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
This person has presented quite a challenge, and needs assistance. The kids and their needs coupled with the hubby's work site in North Bend. I am sure the housing requirement can be met, but what about the schools? We need people with direct experience on the west side of town to chime in here. We need a solid response to an informative inquiry.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 AM

171 posts, read 354,550 times
I've heard good things about Oak Hills school district on the west side of town. No personal experience with it, but you might want to explore it. Should be very close to your husband's work. Just a starting point, others may have different ideas for you...

Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen35 View Post
I've heard good things about Oak Hills school district on the west side of town. No personal experience with it, but you might want to explore it. Should be very close to your husband's work. Just a starting point, others may have different ideas for you...
I have also read some good reports about Oak Hills and they do have an Ohio State rating of Excellent which is the highest. The district is in the Bridgetown North area which would be a very reasonable commute to North Bend. Some of the parent's reviews I read commended their programs for children with disabilities, though they were not specific. The reviews I read online were all positive and stated they felt the teaching staff was dedicated and caring. At least worth checking out and contacting the school administration directly concerning your 3 year old.

Another recommendation is to check into the Summit Academy schools in Ohio. This is a state run series of schools for children with disabilities spread across the state. Since they are publicly funded there is no tuition. They also range K-12. Once your 3 year old reaches K age, they might be a good option. The one I identified in Cincinnati is in St Bernard, a separate city within Cincinnati's boundaries. While there would be transportation issues relative to Bridgetown, it is a far cry from Mason.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will look into what is listed. We should be going out there in the coming weeks, so I know we will have a better idea of what commute is do-able once we go there.

Mason schools have the Early Childhood Center, which gets great reviews for early intervention services for little ones with special needs. Does every school district have an Early Childhood Center or is this just specific to Mason schools?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmom5 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will look into what is listed. We should be going out there in the coming weeks, so I know we will have a better idea of what commute is do-able once we go there.

Mason schools have the Early Childhood Center, which gets great reviews for early intervention services for little ones with special needs. Does every school district have an Early Childhood Center or is this just specific to Mason schools?

Thanks for the help!
Frankly, I think Mason's Early Childhood Center is unique. It is just one of the things which makes this area great. Undoubtly the tax rates in Mason are high and pay for these facilities. Since I am a Mason resident, others will accuse me of biased opinions. But for someone with a number of children (5), and a specific need, you might find this is your best bet. You have already addressed the issue of the commute and commented you would hate to have passed up the best school condition for 45 minutes.

I made the recommendation to check into Oak Hills, as it is highly rated and a much shorter commute. But whether it will offer you overall what you need I have no personal experience.

I read in a local paper today, Mason Central, the original school, celebrated its centennial this past weekend. People from all over came to attend, several from California. At one time it was the entire school system 1-12 (no kindergarden back then). When we first moved here it had become a junior high, 6-8. Now it is no longer a school, but houses the administrative offices. One of the attendees, the oldest, was 24 days older than the school.

When you have to deal with several subjects, making a decision can become difficult. I for one appreciate what you are going through with your kids. Others may focus on only one aspect the commute. But I realize everything you want to accomplish revolves around the children, and if you need to you will endure a long commute. You are willing to sacrifice convenience, etc. for their best interests.

Please contact Mason schools and put them to the grill for what you specifically require. If they meet the muster, fine. If they fall short in your expectations, look elsewhere.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:40 AM

171 posts, read 354,550 times
Several friends of mine have kids with special needs. Their reaction to best school districts for special needs in Cincinnati is always #1 = Sycamore and #2 = Lakota. I know that the state and county cover services needed for kids with special needs. Their children had more minor disablities (speech delay and minor spectrum disorders). They become eligible at age 3 for Help Me Grow, and had preschool (including busing) covered at 100%. I believe someone on these boards has a child with special needs and can fill you in on how the process works around here.

I would check with the local school districts in the area you are interested in and they can point you in the correct direction. I'm pretty sure every district is required to cover special needs starting in preschool. I belive the county picks up some of the health costs (although I'm not sure how it works). Another friend of ours has an adopted special needs child who is much older (fetal alcohol syndrome) and Butler county (they are in Lakota schools) is paying for hospitalization, etc as he needs special care. Again, check with the county and school districts. I think you will find most districts in Ohio will have enough coverage for you as Ohio has state mandates around special needs. Sycamore is a top of the line district as well (similar to Mason), and would probably have a similar commute time for your husband as well (Blue Ash, Montgomery and Symmes Twp feed into Sycamore).

Old 11-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Jen35... Yes Sycamore could be another consideration. Going across Ronald Reagan Highway to I-275 and then to North Bend would certainly be no worse than commuting from Mason, probably better. I totally agree with contacting the above average school disticts and inquiring concerning the specifics your one child is identified and anticipated to need. Also contact Lakota, as depending on where you located within the district the commute to North Bend could be reduced.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:20 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,718 times
Just to give my short two-cents worth....

If, as you indicate, a 1-hour commute is acceptable (even though it may not be desirable), then go ahead and look at the Mason area. It's less than an hour from Mason to North Bend, and if you really find everything you're looking for in Mason, then you may as well go for it. Nevertheless, if you'd prefer something closer to North Bend, then you should definitely check out the Oak Hills district, which is basically up "over the hills" to the east of North Bend.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. I am looking into all of the suggestions.

Quick question:

-Would the Blue Ash area to North Bend (Ronald Reagan Hwy) have less traffic than I-275 from Mason to North Bend. I know that there are more hwys and roads to consider, but the bulk of the commute would be on either of these hwys. Are they about the same amount of traffic?

Thanks for all the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati