Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 9,522 times

Advertisements

I appreciate everybody's insight and am really happy with the responses. I hope I don't come across as scared of the city, because that is not the case. I really enjoy a downtown atmosphere and the hustle and bustle of the city, just when I want it, not constantly. And when I speak in terms of an area being the least bit sketchy I simply mean I want to be able to walk the streets at night and not have to worry about criminal activity (also for peace of mind for when the wife is home alone). Doing some searching online we have found a couple possibilities in eastern Anderson Twp. (Stonegate Apts.), Mariemont, and a couple Blue Ash also a possibility on the Oakley/Hyde Park border (Portsmouth and Paxton). And the wife and I are definitely going to take a trip and check out the areas, although the weekend test will probably not be possible as I work retail currently and the weekends are work days for me, however I will have my friend do the test for me and give me a general idea as I trust him very much. Again, appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:47 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeynite70 View Post
I appreciate everybody's insight and am really happy with the responses. I hope I don't come across as scared of the city, because that is not the case. I really enjoy a downtown atmosphere and the hustle and bustle of the city, just when I want it, not constantly. And when I speak in terms of an area being the least bit sketchy I simply mean I want to be able to walk the streets at night and not have to worry about criminal activity (also for peace of mind for when the wife is home alone). Doing some searching online we have found a couple possibilities in eastern Anderson Twp. (Stonegate Apts.), Mariemont, and a couple Blue Ash also a possibility on the Oakley/Hyde Park border (Portsmouth and Paxton). And the wife and I are definitely going to take a trip and check out the areas, although the weekend test will probably not be possible as I work retail currently and the weekends are work days for me, however I will have my friend do the test for me and give me a general idea as I trust him very much. Again, appreciate it.
Mariemont is very nice, very quiet. Walkable, nice parks, involved citizens. A little/lot snooty. But nice. Recommended for sure.

The location you mention in Oakley is totally safe and extremely convenient to all the shopping in Hyde Park square. Plenty of opportunity for stumbling home after a few too many at one of the bars within walking distance. There will be a lot of traffic, though, and getting in an out of the Hyde Park Kroger is about as much as a root canal. But safety won't be a big issue.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 AM

901 posts, read 2,387,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Maybe outside of Cincinnati might be a better idea. Maybe Harrison (easy interstate access) about as plain Jane , non confrontional as you can ,get might work? They have old historic homes newer tract homes and city is still convenient for entertainment. Just a thought, I have some friends there who seem pretty happy.
The thing about Harrison is that it is all the way up near the northwest corner of Hamilton County, and the commute would be over the 30-minute limit specified by the OP - particularly in rainy/snowy weather, and/or rush hour.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 9,522 times
Just to give everyone an update on my choices. My wife and I have narrowed it down to Sutton Place in Mt Washington. Arbors of Anderson in Mt. Caramel and Old Montgomery Apartments . We like the price and style of the Sutton Place Apartments but we are concerned about the safety issues. I have read really good reviews about the area and then some people speaking about murders and rapes in Stanberry Park and around Beechmont and Sutton. Please any information on the true state of Mt. Washington safety wise would be greatly appreciated specifically the area around Sutton Place.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:30 PM

I'd certainly prefer Mt Washington over the other locations. Just decide if you want to live in an outer city neighborhood with some walkability or if you want to live in an apartment complex by the interstate. Both have their pluses and minuses.

I don't know that particular complex in mt washington, but i know the general area and it appears to be within walking distance of many everyday amenities; plus you have easy access to the 125-acre park with all the rapes and murders.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:34 AM

i would edit my post (above) but i think my time window for doing so has passed. i know moving to a new city can be stressful. you really should come down here and visit if you haven't already.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:58 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Obviously, you have not really looked at the rentals in Hyde Park. To say there is nothing equivalent to Sutton Place apartments in Hyde Park for equal to the 1300-1600 price range tells me that your search as been superficial to say the least. Perhaps the three listings on the Internet fit those parameters, but that is not at all the way to find a place in Hyde Park, which you can easily do for 850 plus your daily commuting cost or perhaps even for the 850 (although this would be stretching things).

Start on Madison Road at Grandin and walk East on Madison until you get to Oakley. There are only about 50 apartment buildings there, many with signs in the yard, some with resident managers, some with rental offices. When you have done that and can't find a place in Hyde Park for $1000 or less, then I'll apologize for being skeptical of your efforts. I doubt that iwll happen.

PS: I could give you two more streets on which to do the same thing.

Put down the computer mouse, come to town and walk the turf. People in HP do not post their apartments online to have to answer questions from every yahoo on the Internet. They put a sign out front. When I had rental property in HP, I made the mistake of putting it on Craigslist and got 8 calls the first day asking if I took Section 8 vouchers, which I did not.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:54 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
...Put down the computer mouse, come to town and walk the turf....
Cannot resist tweaking you on this comment since that's what I've been trying to get you to do in Northside (well, at least drive the streets). But you posted computer crime stats instead. And you're only a few miles away. Just sayin.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Cannot resist tweaking you on this comment since that's what I've been trying to get you to do in Northside (well, at least drive the streets). But you posted computer crime stats instead. And you're only a few miles away. Just sayin.
Oh, I have a plan to spend a little more time in Northside. I go to the eclectic shop on Hamilton up towards Ashtree pretty regularly but I usually just breeze past the main business district since my unpleasant experience there a couple of years ago. I'll stop next time and have lunch and look around. I am withholding comment. Despite my shock over the crime stats, I did not post up the 2011 residential sales, most or which were $30,000 or less. Of course you can't tell a book by its price tag (haha!) but it does indicate a certain limit on their gentrification.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
OP... You appear to favor the larger complexes. I am not sure whether this is for what they offer in terms of such as exercise centers, etc. or a feeling of increased safety from being able to park in the interior of the complex surrounded by people of hopefully like interests.

Your consideration of Olde Montgomery and Arbors of Anderson is interesting. They are nice enough complexes but I feel you taking on a inconvenient and overly long commute to the Eden Park area.

I would have to give Sutton Place the node on commute, basically Columbia Parkway all the way with a stretch of Beechmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati