Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Glad you came back to this thread, OP. If it's any comfort, I lived in Cincinnati for about seven years (moved from Cleveland) before I actually began to like living there. Now I love it, live elsewhere, and am looking forward to moving back someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn2000 View Post
If I understand correctly one will be able to walk along the river from the ballpark area pretty far east using the existing waterfront promenade (that I missed when I had a look at the "banks"). I saw it 2 days later from a high up position on Mount Adams.
From my former office at West Fourth and Elm, around Paul Brown Stadium, east on Mehring Way past Great American Ball Park and to the far end of the International Friendship Park and back was about five miles. Nice walk. I miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
I see a lot of people on here who are never satisfied, and are always looking for something better, or think the grass is always greener on the other side. I firmly believe that no matter where you are in this country, you can find the resources you need to be happy. You just have to know what things really matter, and know where to look for them. So stop complaining about where you live, and learn how to be happy with what is at hand. If you don't learn what really matters, you'll be unhappy no matter where you are, but if you do learn, you can be happy anywhere.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 PM

368 posts, read 638,772 times
cincinnati has maybe some of the most spectacular pockets in ohio..its no contest.i go to the music hall and the stadiums..but i wouldnt walk very far from the music hall itself.most cities have the downtowns cut off from any safe walkable neighborhoods..columbus seems to be the exception in the midwest and chicago is another level but also the bad places in chicago are alot worse than anything in cincy.even paris france has neighborhoods you dont want to go in..

Old 05-10-2012, 01:49 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
cincinnati has maybe some of the most spectacular pockets in ohio..its no contest.i go to the music hall and the stadiums..but i wouldnt walk very far from the music hall itself.most cities have the downtowns cut off from any safe walkable neighborhoods..columbus seems to be the exception in the midwest and chicago is another level but also the bad places in chicago are alot worse than anything in cincy.even paris france has neighborhoods you dont want to go in..
Certainly this is true. In Chicago's bad neighborhoods they will pull you from your car if it comes to a complete stop. Baltimore polices their waterfront like it is Fort Knox or the First Lady is walking around. Everywhere else, not so much.

But, the OP's insults were the result of a real estate agent car tour. Not impressed. That he even posted such nonsense tells me it was not a serious post.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:44 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Certainly this is true. In Chicago's bad neighborhoods they will pull you from your car if it comes to a complete stop. Baltimore polices their waterfront like it is Fort Knox or the First Lady is walking around. Everywhere else, not so much.

But, the OP's insults were the result of a real estate agent car tour. Not impressed. That he even posted such nonsense tells me it was not a serious post.
I will not comment on whether it was a serious post or not. Maybe it was just he was mad his employer wanted him to relocate and he was looking for reasons not to accept.

But at least the OP has come back with a little bit of an olive branch. So I will say just give Cincinnati a chance. This city grows on you. The fact the hills separate into so many different neighborhoods should be considered an asset, not a liability. It is not just one homogeneous mass. So the expression of individual values is still live and well here.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 AM

29 posts, read 54,898 times
Not sure where the insult was...can one not ask where a medium size city such as Cincy feels urban?
Some folks simply replied by listing what the interesting areas are; that reaction was appropriate.
Is using the word "disappointment" and a comparison of the URBAN factor to Baltimore an insult?

Now I feel challenged to defend Baltimore. A couple of weeks ago I took a couple of colleagues from Cincinnati - people who have lived in Cincy all their life - to downtown Baltimore, on a Wednesday night. They could not believe how busy the downtown area was, people (decent ones) on the street, the restaurants full.
They were impressed with their mouth open - no kidding, I am serious. And THEY told me Cincy is no comparison. These are not my words.
Baltimore just has a pretty cool downtown area that is not dead when the offices close. And yes, as one poster wrote, it is guarded by the police like Fort Knox. True.
Cincinnati probably has a lot of other things that are unique, nice and good. (Good public school in the burbs for example, that is a big one).
I was only talking about the URBAN experience and in that comparison at first glance Baltimore seems to have more to offer. Is that an insult?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
^^Sounds far fetched to me. I thought your boss had you out here looking for housing. Why on earth would you take anyone from Cincy back to Baltimore? That doesn't fit the relocation process. I think you are making it up.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
^^Sounds far fetched to me. I thought your boss had you out here looking for housing. Why on earth would you take anyone from Cincy back to Baltimore? That doesn't fit the relocation process. I think you are making it up.
Are you kidding me?
My company based in Baltimore merged with a company in Cincy. At this point we still have our office in Baltimore and they have theirs in Cincy. We are now in the first phase of consolidating offices. A couple of my new Cincy colleagues came over a couple of weeks ago for a meeting. That is the simple story. Why should I make a story up?

Before I came to Baltimore I used to live Berlin. (Germany) I have no reason to defend a place like Baltimore by making up stories , I know how limited and problematic it is.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Either way. You are the one who keeps making the comparisons to Baltimore, when the two are apples and oranges. You have all the suggestion you need to get to know Cincy. If you can't find anything to do here, or think it isn't "urban" enough, then you are welcome to your perspective.

You seem like the type that can't figure out why people don't like you.

Consider the title to your thread: Disappointment - Cincinnati: is this really it?

Perhaps you would get a more positive response from all these posters here who LOVE Cincinnati if you didn't start with such a negative perspective.

Anywho. I am done with this thread. I wish you all the best, and really, you would be better served to stay in Baltimore.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 AM

I am not sure if continuing this thread makes a lot of sense.
I did notice that my initial post was interpreted as an insult by some who then started lashing out.
Well, I still cannot see the insult. Anyway.

I want to thank those posters in particular who have provided concrete hints where I could find what I am looking for. Some got my post right then. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati